Search results

1. Captain Bash

Detune that snare drum

In contrast to the current trends in obtaining perfect tension/tuning I generally prefer to slightly detune the lugs at around 7 o’clock in order to elicit a slightly fatter (harmonically complex) snare sound. This approach is far from new but current trends and products (dial tune) seem to...
  2. Captain Bash

Not in vogue but good nonetheless

The thread on Paiste cymbal rigs reminded me, the best time to buy used drum gear is when it’s totally out of style. For example I bought my entire Paiste Twenty set up for a fraction of the cost because dark, thin, trashy cymbals were hip and being heavily advertised and touted by all. Paiste...
  3. Captain Bash

Found the secret to cleaning cymbals

Don’t do it.
  4. Captain Bash

Do Noble and Cooley do bass drum mounted toms

Anyone know if Noble and Cooley do a bass drum mounted tom system. All their kits seem to have virgin bass drums. Thanks..
  5. Captain Bash

Ordering a Gretsch kit from UK

Anyone on DW have any experience ordering Gretsch from dealer in the UK. I am considering spending my fun tokens on a new kit, probably a Broadkaster 20 kick 15 Ft 12 t and a matching 14 x 6 snare (modern fittings and bass drum tom mount). Or has anyone experience purchasing from the likes of...
  6. Captain Bash

Why are Yamaha wing nuts so irritatingly tiny

I really like Yamaha hardware, but boy those tiny wing nuts are so impractical for gigs. They are fiddly, fiddly is irritating and impractical for any one who has set up tear down. Ive given up and joined the wing nut free hipsters (10 years too late). Please Yamaha make bigger wing nuts for my...
  7. Captain Bash

Floor tom sustain reduction hack worked

Last night I tried out that old floor tom hack, the one where you turn one leg of the floor tom upside down In order to reduce sustain. In short, it worked a treat so much so that I ran the drum, a 16“ Yamaha MCAN, with no batter side muffling just a Evans UV2 batter and G1 resonant side. If you...
  8. Captain Bash

Lockdown made me clean my cymbals

I was so frustrated with not being able to go out and play the other night I seriously considered cleaning my main cymbal set. Apart from the odd post gig wipe down with a towel I haven’t cleaned a single cymbal in 10 years. Then I came back to my senses and returned my metal back to their case...
  9. Captain Bash

Consistent cymbal sound

Yeah I found the holy grail of consistent cymbal sounds - it’s perfect no variation no wobble no over or undertones expressionless stark beauty. 808 says you have been deleted.
  10. Captain Bash

Cracked Stave Shell

Anyone have any experience in fixing a partially split mid stave shell. Bit distraught, decided to give my Brady Stave 14 x 7 snare (Jarrah) the once over, as I do every month or so and discovered a nasty crack emanating from snare side. Don’t get me wrong this isn’t a complaint about Brady...
  11. Captain Bash

Istanbul Agop 30th anniversary...lovely

Finally pulled the trigger on some used Istanbul Agop 30th anniversary 15 hats 18 crash 22 ride. No bargain in fact v expensive even 2nd hand. Played them all afternoon, mmmmm they are fantastic they really do sound like old Ks, which is ideal for my duo (Fender Rhodes and Drums). I have played...
  12. Captain Bash

Back to 5 piece

I have been playing a four piece configured one up one down for a decade. Never really cared for using both 12 and 13 toms together as they are tonally too close. But by chance a Yamaha MCAN single 10 “ tom came up on eBay with hardcase that matches my existing gear. So set the kit up at band...
  13. Captain Bash

Yamaha And Bosphorus

Just a pic of my giging set up. Yamaha to maple 12,16 toms n 22 kick with 14 x 6.5 Dunnett titanium snare and Bosphorus cymbals 15, 18, 22, 20,20. Tama first chair, DW pedal, hardware Yamaha except hi-hat stand. I prefer to pick the best from many brands.
  14. Captain Bash

Cold Weather and Drums

I see from the news that the USA is being hit by a spell of cold weather, how’s this working out on your drums and or drumming. For example, I live in the wet and mild UK, my gig kit is stored in the un heated garage but our temps rarely fall below freezing. Are drums ok at -10 C blimey.
  15. Captain Bash

Paiste twenty under SM Bosphorus hats

Yes yes......Went mad and decided to mix up brands, and found my Bosphorus S. Moore top with Paiste Twenty bottom 14" really works a treat, bright and dark all at the same time and yet still matching. Rather like the old Zildjian KZ combo but somehow tighter and more exotic. I think it's time...
  16. Captain Bash

Robot roadie

I keep hearing in the news about how tech is improving our lives. Well when are they going to make a robotic roadie that can load my cased acoustic kit kit into my car and then set-up and then do it all in reverse for the home bound leg. Oh and the drum roadie robot needs to able to go up...
  17. Captain Bash

Weight of bass drum for storage

Hi, I am going to purchase some storage racking for a small garage. I want to store my giging kit (drums only) on one of the racks bays. My current band circumstances mean I have to load in and out twice a week and want to keep things reasonably organised and efficient for load in out. So my...
  18. Captain Bash

Rehearsal room abused kits

I rehearse once a week with a band and for reasons of convenience i use the rehearsal kit at rehearsal studio. The town I play in is dominated by metal bands. The drummers of the metal bands (who subdivide themselves into ever smaller niche sub genres; sludge, black metal, grindcore etc.) are...
  19. Captain Bash

Friday night and not gigging !

It's Friday night and I'm not playing / gigging, nice relaxing night with a few beers. No load-up, worrying about parking, sound check woes, and then no tare-down and no late night drive home. Come to think about it no wonder people don't gig. Friday nights as a punter are fun.
  20. Captain Bash

Food tray

I am on the look out for a low-mass solid brass or aluminium food tray so that I can snack inbetween songs. Ideally I would like an integrated cup holder and an area for porkpie, but am concerned this may lower the resonance of my kick drum. Any ideas ?