Search results

1. Morrisman

Tone &or pitch of a cymbal?

In general music terms, the pitch is the lowest (fundamental) frequency produced by an instrument or voice. The tone is the combination of all the frequencies including the overtones (harmonics). eg a guitar and a banjo playing the note C will have the same pitch, but different tones. With...
  2. Morrisman

Straight or shuffle?

If you join a blues band you’ll play nothing but shuffles all the time, but that gets boring too. As Larry suggested, find some shuffle songs that come from the same era as your other songs and suggest some to the band. They can be as simple as Roadhouse Blues or as complex as Rosanna.
  3. Morrisman

Have the Yamaha Stage Custom drums changed over the years?

The school where I work has five different Stage Custom kits, ranging from the 90’s to 2015. Our oldest one has deeper shells and a hanging floor tom, and no YESS mounts. Over the years the toms have got shallower, the country of origin has changed, and the wood is now 100% birch. The current...
  4. Morrisman

How to manage a band?

We have a group chat on Facebook Messenger. One person can post a possible gig and we can all reply and see the other replies. With text messages the replies get all mixed up. We also have a shared calendar on our phones, but one guy doesn’t use it so its not perfect.
  5. Morrisman

Small bass drum driving me nuts

Emad2 or PS4 batter (twin-ply) plus a thickish reso like a Fiberskyn. Tune lowish, and don’t bury the bass drum beater into the head - let it rebound like a big floor tom.
  6. Morrisman

How much does stick size affect the ability to play fast?

For me the lighter, shorter sticks are definitely faster. I can happily play fast HiHat shuffles like Rock Around the Clock with Vic Firth 7A’s, but with heavier or longer sticks I find it harder to maintain the tempo.
  7. Morrisman

What are the simplest songs you play that you love?

The simplest song I still like playing is Love Shack. Simple 2 bar groove, almost no fills, no ride cymbal, no ghost notes.
  8. Morrisman

Need help with choosing/finding a stick

Maybe the VF Bolero?
  9. Morrisman

Virgin kick or not?

If you are gigging and setting up and packing down regularly, a bass drum mount saves time and makes the tom setup consistent every time. If its for a recording studio - maybe get the floating toms for isolation from the bass drum’s vibrations.
  10. Morrisman

Recommendations for a really smooth 16" - 18" crash - any brand

Paper thins or Fast crashes seem to fit your description. I have some A Brilliant finish Thin Crashes which sound more mellow than the comparable Regular finish Thin Crashes, so maybe some A Brilliants, or some A Custom Fast Crashes would be perfect.
  11. Morrisman

trouble with playing an intro fill

I hear 6 slow beats of guitar, then 2 beats of 16ths on snare. A two bar intro. The guitar is playing a syncopated pattern of mostly 3x16th groups, but its still 4/4 time, two bars total.
  12. Morrisman

Stick Wear and it’s effect on sound

Fair point. However, I was suggesting a solution or at least a workaround to the problem of worn wooden tips.
  13. Morrisman

This is true of all sticks, but this thread is about wooden tips getting softer and changing the tone before there is any noticeable wear anywhere.
  14. Morrisman

This is precisely why I use nylon tipped sticks. Once I’ve found a model that sounds and feels right, I can use the same pair for 50+ gigs and still get the same sound I started out with. Generally I find the Vater and Regal Tip nylon tips are less brittle than the others, so they rebound...
  15. Morrisman

Cajon information required

a) The middle of a standard cajon produces the bass drum sound. The top 3-4 inches has snare wires inside. These can usually be adjusted if you only want the bass sound. b) special cajon bass pedals are available with two parts joined by a cable. They’re quite expensive. The cheap option is to...
  16. Morrisman

Will binder clips hurt my kick drum hoops?

The clip with gaff along the edge worked perfectly - no scratching of the hoop, and my setlist with notes about how each sing starts and ends was right there on the bass drum, but out of sight for the audience.
  17. Morrisman

Inspired by this thread, I’ve softened a bulldog/binder clip by lining each ‘jaw’ with a thin strip of gaffa tape, and I’m going to try it at today’s gig - clipping the setlist onto the bass drum.
  18. Morrisman

Jazz - Switching stick and brushes

1. I often have a large music stand which leans over the back of the hihat and throw the sticks/brushes there. or 2. I lay my stick bag flat on a drum case just left of my hihat. Its high enough that I can reach down and pick up quickly from there. 3. Fold a towel, place it on the bass drum...
  19. Morrisman

I sometimes stick a setlist onto the bass drum using blu-tak. I apply 2 or 3 small lumps to the aluminium rim of the drum head, not to the actual drumshell or hoop. Saves floor space when I’m set up in a corner.
  20. Morrisman

Cleaning REALLY dirty cymbals

I acquired an old A Ride that had developed a red, sandpaper like corrosion all over the top surface. The grooves were barely visible. I applied ketchup and left it overnight. It dried dark green, then I washed it off and it was amazing! Gold bronze colour, grooves all clean, logos intact. I’d...