1. NickSchles

Vic Firth - Stories Behind The Sleeves

Useful! Thank you.
  2. NickSchles

True confessions..older and slooower

How did it go? 😊
  3. NickSchles

DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT TO YOU?!

So! I've been learning Tower of Power's "Squib Cakes" note for note the last few weeks using David Garibaldi's Off The Record book. I'm currently half way through the 7min+ beast. Now, before tackling the next half, I'm going through certain sections / fills / grooves and refining them by ear...
  4. NickSchles

Early 80's - Tama vs Pearl

Man, I've actually wanted a Pearl BLX for a long time. They're difficult to come by second hand, at least here in the UK. If any of you's got one for sale in good condition near London, hit me up! Re your original post, both brands make solid drums which sound great. So, surely you can't go...
  5. NickSchles

True confessions..older and slooower

I think you have to remember that some days will be good, some days won't. Nobody is on fire every time they sit behind the kit. Also you said you haven't played in forever... That's probably the biggest contributing factor. As we age, our muscles tense up and become less limber, so warming up...
  6. NickSchles

things must be getting closer to normal...

Where are you based? I'm still a bit hesitant here in London (UK) to gig... I have a couple of functions for July, but fear that the general sentiment, even though restrictions might loosen up by then, people won't continue to be cautious. I'm all up for lockdown to ease and things to return to...
  7. NickSchles

WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE ROOM TO RECORD IN?

So, the other day I recorded a few drum loops in a big, lively untreated room (see one such groove below)! It made me think about my favourite studios to have recorded / worked in, and how I miss 'em. In particular, Abbey Road... The vibe and the people who work there, both engineers and...
  8. NickSchles

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE TRIPLET LICKS?

That sounds awesome. I'm listening now, and love that vibe! You know, I've worked at AIR Studios, which I believe was founded by George Martin, if I'm not mistaken. Thanks for sharing! I'll put that in my Amazon shopping basket. xx
  9. NickSchles

WHAT DRUMMERS DO YOU HEAR IN YOUR PLAYING?

Did you watch the Beware Of Mr. Baker film / documentary? I recall there’s a lot of his background both, personal and musical, explained there. If you haven’t, it’s a great watch and I’d very much recommend it.
  10. NickSchles

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE TRIPLET LICKS?

When thinking about classic Rock drummers of the 70s, I tend of think of John Bonham, Neil Peart and Keith Moon. I love all of them yet, invariably, my favourite is Neil Peart, R.I.P. That said, I’ve always loved John Bonham’s massive sound, and his creative use of triplets, be it his shuffles...
  11. NickSchles

Dom Famularo

I'll check it out, thanks! I've met Dom a couple of times, and he seems like a great dude. That said, I've always thought he switching to Pro-Mark just after Vic Firth passed away was a bit distasteful!
  12. NickSchles

A metronome alternative 🐔

I LOVE this idea. I laughed loads... The only thing stopping me from using it properly is that I'd be distracted by the lolz. Nice work!
  13. NickSchles

You know, the first time I heard Deen Castronovo was listening to G/Z/R's Plastic Planet album. His sound on that album is monstrous, and his playing too. Great influences!
  14. NickSchles

Dude, we're all learning... Never-ending, this stuff!
  15. NickSchles

One of my students is a massive Ginger Baker fan; he also loves Buddy Rich and John Bonham. He, like you say, loves the stuff which he thinks is cool. I get what you're saying. He's starting to sound like a modern version of those players! I'm very proud.
  16. NickSchles

Fantastic, ha ha! I wish I was more Dave Whackl.
  17. NickSchles

I see you're a Fear Factory fan. Noice!
  18. NickSchles

Great mix, dude! That's awesome. I love Neil Peart, RIP!
  19. NickSchles

So, the last few months I’ve been neck-deep in learning Tower Of Power songs and David Garibaldi’s grooves. Between lessons, I got noodling and came up with this groove: Now, we all know and love half-time shuffles, yet it dawned on me that Garibaldi has started to show in my playing, and I...
  20. NickSchles

INSTAGRAM / YOUTUBE DRUMMING CULTURE: LOVE IT? HATE IT? WHY?

Yes! It’s a great tool, but if you know how to get the most out of it. So much content and no direction can make for option paralysis and no progress! 🙃