Search results

1. alparrott

Great pics from a festival gig this week

Thanks! A lot of work went into restoring them from their state when I got them, which was pretty dire (see this thread). And the weather benefited from the festival being postponed from actual apple blossom season to last week - typically it's a lot colder and windier. But it's summer now, time...
  2. alparrott

What's your latest purchase?

Just pulled the trigger on one of these new Pearl BD hoop mount cymbal holders. Have been meaning to put a ride cymbal mount on my Standards but I really didn't want to drill any more on that poor abused thing. This looks super solid and the toothless tilter was the deciding factor. I'll let you...
  3. alparrott

Nah, my Standards are pretty well known around these here parts ... thank you tho!
  4. alparrott

Now that things are eased up a little bit in our town, the Washington State Apple Blossom Festival is back, and both of my bands played the main stage last week. Some kind soul got some great shots of the band during our set. It's good to be back playing live music!
  5. alparrott

Ludwig Standard Kit

Congrats on your kit! Standards have been my... well, Standard for going on ten years now.
  6. alparrott

Talent level and band option

Jose nailed it. I have played in some bands where I had the time of my life, even if the individual musicians weren't going to set the world on fire, because the work ethic was tight, the expectations were clear, and you could focus on the music and the gigs instead of the crisis/brain...
  7. alparrott

Nice! Which shell is that, the steel or the aluminium?
  8. alparrott

Welp, after 24 years of gigging (!) my Yamaha 700 series boom stands are starting to break down... height adjustment points are starting to strip out, as is one boom assembly. Only so much you can do with that. So two new Ludwig Atlas Standard stands are on the way - clamp adjustments rather...
  9. alparrott

Had a bit of wrist pain after playing my Black Magic with diecast hoops for an entire afternoon a few weeks ago. Drumfactory Direct was selling a blemished black finish S-Hoop for $10 plus shipping. BAM! Cross-sticking sounds SUPER sweet with this hoop.
  10. alparrott

Best snare new or used under $300?

We're living in the golden age of good snares for not much money, in my opinion. Tama SLPs. Ludwig Standards and Supralite. Pearl Modern Utility. DW Design. Mapex Black Panthers and Armory. And those are just a few bought-new options. Used, you can't go wrong with an Acrolite (easily had under...
  11. alparrott

Crash/Ride Cymbals ?

I don't disagree with the thinness of the Omni's crash, but then I use thinner crashes and it sounds pretty good paired with them. I also like that I don't have to bash the snot out of it to wash ride. The Omni probably won't work for a Dave Grohl style crash-ride, but for a Carter McLean or...
  12. alparrott

Crash/Ride Cymbals ?

I switched from a 20" K Custom to a 22" AAX Omni a couple of years ago and never looked back. It (and its HHX cousin) are probably some of the best crash-rides I've ever heard or played. The dual lathing makes it easy to play controlled and pingy or washy and crashy, plus they're just a bit...
  13. alparrott

Does anybody perform live with 5-ish" snare?

I've got a 5x14 Ludwig Standard in matte aluminium that is a lovely drum, but since getting my Guru 7x13 walnut stave and my 6.5x14" Ludwig Black magic, it's kind of sat in its case unloved and unused. I need to pull it out again at some point. It's a great drum, but the other two just sound so...
  14. alparrott

Boom arm will not completely tighten?

Did you buy the stand new? Contact the store. If not, try contacting Yamaha.
  15. alparrott

Boom arm will not completely tighten?

Also check to see if the wingbolt that holds the boom in place is not stripped. It should stop turning when it's tightened all the way against the boom. If it continues to spin, it's stripped out and the wingbolt and/or the entire boom joint may need to be replaced.
  16. alparrott

Resources to help improve back beat playing.

What really helped me strengthen both my kick foot and my backbeat (both stroke quality and consistency) was playing along to a lot of four-on-the-floor pop songs. It's like playing to a metronome because they're all on a click track, but with the added bonus of a groove to play along with...
  17. alparrott

I am really interested in Meinl set ups?

Depends on the shop. There's no point in trying with a Guitar Center, in my experience. However, I do check with Donn Bennett's or my local shop when I shop cymbals there.
  18. alparrott

Truly Iconic Cymbal Models

New Beats, Paiste Sound Edge hats, 2002 24" ride, Sweet Ride, Raw Bell Dry Ride, Wuhan china, Holy China, Sand crash/ride, K/Z Hats come to mind.
  19. alparrott

Zildjian A custom Mastersound hi-hats/ K custom Hybrid hi-hats??

.25 and 1/4 are the same thing - a quarter of whatever it is you're measuring (in this case, an inch). The 14.25" cymbal is a quarter-inch wider than the 14" cymbal. That means that if you pair the A Custom top with the K Custom Hybrid bottom, the bottom cymbal will stick out past the edge of...
  20. alparrott

Zildjian A custom Mastersound hi-hats/ K custom Hybrid hi-hats??

IIRC the K Custom Hybrids are offered in slightly larger sizes than normal - 13.25" and 14.25". This is unique among hi-hats as far as I know. It also means that a 14" A Custom top will be smaller than the 14.25" bottom and larger than the 13.25" bottom. There have been name drummers in the past...