Search results

1. Troy McClure

When do you retire a pair of sticks? (No breaks)

Like others, when the bead is chipped or the shoulder worn down. They make amazing back scratchers though. And no lol, splinters are never a problem.
  2. Troy McClure

Playing as if you are listening?

I once did a show where after all was done I asked the lead singer if the drums were ok? She said, 'Honestly, I didn't even think about them. I was just kind of doing my own thing.' To me, a massive compliment and mission accomplished.
  3. Troy McClure

INSTAGRAM / YOUTUBE DRUMMING CULTURE: LOVE IT? HATE IT? WHY?

Learing the parts note for note is one thing, but coming up with them is a completely different animal. Its not necessarily the playing that's amazing, but what they choose to play. I can learn plenty of complicated songs note for note; could I have written the parts as well as they did...
  4. Troy McClure

NEED TIPS: Learning Drums By Ear

I didn't say it wasn't? I'm simply suggesting forums (any, not only Drummerworld) have some kind of built in feature that lets users know the thread is obviously old, other than the 3-point sized date on the main page. All I'm saying is make it obvious! Although the topic and info shared is...
  5. Troy McClure

NEED TIPS: Learning Drums By Ear

lol forums need a 'Bumped!' feature. I was almost done reading the 1st page when I realized the OP was looking for help more than 4 years ago. And it happens to me often! I never notice the date on the main page, I just click on the thread title and go.
  6. Troy McClure

Advice On PA System for Drums

I Should have Kept my Nose Out of it.
  7. Troy McClure

Advice On PA System for Drums

I"m going to guess he's using a phone and auto correct wants in on the action.
  8. Troy McClure

Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin, for some reason I'm remembering something about 12" Remix hats being used quite a bit on In Absentia. I may have read it here waaaay back as I've been following the thread since the day you joined. Amazing you're still here 15 years later patiently answering questions. Datz a lotta questions!
  9. Troy McClure

Most beautiful drum tracks??

Oh cool! Never knew it was a black beauty, I always assumed it was a Yamaha. It sounds great.
  10. Troy McClure

Most beautiful drum tracks??

Not a jazz tune but I think JRs playing on this track qualifies.
  11. Troy McClure

Outdoor gigs - do you do anything different with your kit?

Love Adelaide. Should never have lost the Grand Prix! Much Better than Melbourne!
  12. Troy McClure

Buyers Market

I scored a mint condition Sonor Delite 14x6 maple snare from Kijiji here in Canada for $500 CAN shipped. Amazing drum.
  13. Troy McClure

New drummer needs to know how to play along with the song

Don't try to listen and follow the drums in the recordings. Listen to everything else to help you keep time; vocals, guitar, bass, etc... If you can't hear the music over your drums that is likely the biggest issue.
  14. Troy McClure

Best drumming album of all time?

This album is the reason I started to play drums again after a 13 year hiatus. If it weren't for Gavin, who knows how much longer the 'break' would have lasted. I am very thankful. F***ing love playing the drums.
  15. Troy McClure

End of fills

I like crashing on the hi-hat to change things up, leaving me the option to close on the e, +, or a of 1, or keeping it open until 2.
  16. Troy McClure

DRUMCENTER Sonor, Tama, DW ...The DCP Dream Drum Sets Showcase

Oh I'm aware. Just commenting on its appearance. I mean, it's a great idea, it just looks...well you know!
  17. Troy McClure

DRUMCENTER Sonor, Tama, DW ...The DCP Dream Drum Sets Showcase

Sonor, Tama, DW for me. Impressed with the Tama. But yeah, that Sonor tom mount is a little much.
  18. Troy McClure

Why does everyone make fun of Lars?

For me it was back in high school when all of the dudes were going on about this amazing drummer, and when I listened I simply wasn't impressed (my older brother was always playing Rush, Deep Purple, the Police, and Led Zeppelin) and didn't understand the hype. The more this went on the more I...