Search results

1. J

How should I balance learning from books and learning from music?

"especially if you use them incorrectly the way most do". What do you mean by this? What things do people do incorrectly when using books in your experience?
  2. J

How should I balance learning from books and learning from music?

Lately I have had a lot more time to practice and this summer I plan on really getting into it and practicing a ton, so I'm trying to see how I should structure my practice. How should I balance between books vs getting ideas directly from music? I've had John Ramsay's Alan Dawson book for a...
  3. J

Multi-instrumentalists: how do you manage practicing multiple instruments without burning yourself out?

I recently purchased a digital piano and began taking lessons with a teacher and it’s been going very well. I started because I love classical music and the piano seemed like the best way to get into it because i don’t need any accompaniment. As for the drums... I’ve been playing consistently...
  4. J

Should I play ties as closed or open rolls in Wilcoxon's 150?

This is probably a dumb question, but I know that with some rudimental stuff, when a tie is notated, it is still played as an open roll. I'm doing solo 8 right now, and in some videos that I watch, people play the seven stroke rolls as closed rolls, but some play them open. Should I play them...
  5. J

Thoughts/reviews of Beyond Bop Drumming by John Riley?

I recently got a copy of Beyond Bop Drumming and started going through it. It's not too challenging, but its definitely pushing me. Pretty awesome that Riley has managed to demystify such a deep and dense stye of playing. My question to those who have worked or are working on it: Do you feel...
  6. J

Should I memorize each solo as I go through Wilcoxon's All American book?

I've heard many people emphasize memorizing the wilcoxon solos (in the all American book and in the swing solos book). I know both books are fairly popular, so I thought I'd ask if there is anyone here who took that approach, and if so, did you feel like you benefited from it? Taking the time...
  7. J

How much of your practice time should be spent learning things that are new to you?

Yea I’m dying to play live with people again... playing with others always helps me immediately know what I need to work on in my practice time.
  8. J

How much of your practice time should be spent learning things that are new to you?

I’m finding that most of my practice time is spent perfecting things that I can already play. I only spend a little time learning stuff that genuinely challenges me. How do you balance working on stuff that you know but are trying to perfect, and learning things that you are unable to play?
  9. J

Why should I practice things that I would never play on a gig?

No, but I feel like the skills you gain from learning a song are much more easily applicable to playing on a gig than some exercise in a book.
  10. J

I guess it would depend on the sport, but while weightlifting is important, its not nearly as important as actually practicing the sport itself. A soccer player could lift all he wants, but he's not gonna be better than the player that spends more time actually playing soccer. My point is, I...
  11. J

If you could only recommend three instructional books, what would they be?

Well I was kind of just looking for a general response just to see what books people considered "essentials" besides Stick Control and Syncopation since I hear about those a lot. Part of the reason why I asked the question was because I frequently find myself having choice paralysis when it...
  12. J

What do you think is more worthwhile: transcribing and learning entire drum solos OR stealing particular licks from solos and perfecting them?

Yea I agree completely, I think there should definitely be a balance. Copying an entire solo has never appealed to me, but taking certain ideas that I like from different drummers and then applying them in my own ways is something that has definitely improved my creativity.
  13. J

If you could only recommend three instructional books, what would they be?

I recently took (online) drum lessons with a undergrad music major for a semester. I recall we were talking about books at one point and he told me that he never really used any books other than Syncopation and Stick control, much to my surprise. After he had shown me the versatility of...
  14. J

What do you think is more worthwhile: transcribing and learning entire drum solos OR stealing particular licks from solos and perfecting them?

I understand what you're saying, but even the most revolutionary and unique drummers got to where they are partly by studying drummers before them.
  15. J

Becoming well versed in the rudiments helped me a lot with recognizing what a drummer was playing on a record. Recently however, I downloaded an app called The Amazing Slow Downer and its been pretty awesome for learning fast fusion and bebop stuff. Slowing songs down on it sounds infinitely...
  16. J

Obviously the ideal answer is both, but I’m curious to see what you guys on here think because most of the drummers I know personally take the second approach. I guess the rationale is that it’s better to be able to play a single sticking or measure of a solo perfectly than to try to learn the...
  17. J

I've been going through the New Breed by Gary Chester recently, and while some of the systems seem very applicable to grooves that I would play on a gig, others seem less applicable. Obviously this is an excellent book that has received praise from countless drummers, but I guess I just don't...
  18. J

What will improve my drumset playing more, studying concert snare drum or marching snare drum?

I guess I just want to increase my overall facility on the drumset and have a larger vocabulary of rhythms to use during solos rather than just repeating the same linear triplet and sixteenth note licks. I was thinking that delving into a certain style of snare drumming (either concert or...
  19. J

What will improve my drumset playing more, studying concert snare drum or marching snare drum?

Yea I think I agree with you about the rudimental book. I actually already went through the Mitchell peters books with a teacher (except for the advanced book). I just assumed that the advanced peters book and portraits in rhythm were around the same level. Am I wrong?
  20. J

I agree, and my overall goal is definitely to get better at drumset, but lately I've had a lot of time available where I can use my practice pad but not my drum set (due to family living with me), so I thought it would be cool to develop my chops through playing through snare books rather than...