Search results

1. Drifter in the Dark

Sharp Edges on Zildjian Hi-Hats

Back in December, I bought a set of brand new 13-inch K Zildjian hi-hats. They sound great, but there's just one problem: The edges on both the cymbals are pretty sharp-- sharp enough to chop away at my sticks to the point where a pair of them will only last me 2 or 3 shows. I feel like I don't...
  2. Drifter in the Dark

Yogi Horton

I tried searching for his name, but didn't find it anywhere on the forum, so I thought I'd share this. Yogi Horton was (in my opinion) a very underrated drummer who played with tons of big names in the 70's and 80's, such as Aretha Franklin, Ashford & Simpson, Luther Vandross, and even the...
  3. Drifter in the Dark

My New (Old) Ride!

Greetings! I thought I'd post pics of the new cymbal I got last week. It's a 21-inch Avedis Zildjian ride from the 1960's. Paid $150 cash for it. No cracks, no keyholing, just a few "flea bites" around the edge. The tone is incredible; warm, simmering wash, moderate stick definition with a woody...
  4. Drifter in the Dark

Suspension mount vs. shell mount...shell mount wins!

I have a Yamaha Stage Custom birch set (10x8, 14x14, 20x17), and I love it. However, I noticed that when I mounted the rack tom to the bass drum using the standard tom holder, the tom sounded choked. When I took the drum off the bass drum and mounted it to a cymbal stand, I noticed an immediate...
  5. Drifter in the Dark

My Yamaha Stage Custom

Hey all! It's been five years since I first joined drummerworld, and in that time I've never posted a picture of my gear. Now that I have a camera, I thought I'd share my weapons of mass percussion with the world. Here are the specifications: Drums: Yamaha Stage Custom in Cranberry Red. 100%...
  6. Drifter in the Dark

Funky Drummer 40th Anniversary!

Today is actually a very important day in musical history. Forty years ago today, James Br own and his band went into King Records studios in Cincinnati, Ohio to record the song "Funky Drummer," featuring the inimitable Clyde Stubblefield on drums. The drum break that he played on that song...
  7. Drifter in the Dark

Homer Steinweiss

I recently discovered a band called Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings. They're a soul revival outfit from Brooklyn playing 60's style soul and funk. Everything they do is recorded to analog tape and sounds super-authentic. Their drummer, Homer Steinweiss, is one of the most soulful, rock-solid...
  8. Drifter in the Dark

Rosemont Cavaliers Practice!

So, on Tuesday, I was going to the running track at the high school in my area to work out, but the football team was having practice, so I decided to go to a track at another school nearby. As it turns out, The Rosemont Cavaliers drum and bugle corps were having practice on that field! I had...
  9. Drifter in the Dark

Paiste 20 inch Paper Thin Crash: Have you played it?

Has anyone had the chance to play this cymbal? I heard the sound sample on the website and it sounded absolutely amazing, but I'm not sure how it would perform in a live situation without close miking (which is what I'll be primarily using it for). Any information would be appreciated! For your...
  10. Drifter in the Dark

Good Drummer, Bad Teacher?

Here's my situation: I started teaching for the very first time a couple months ago. I now have three students. One is 12 years old, one is 10, and one is 6. My problem is this: In my 10+ years of playing, I've managed to acquire a lot of musical knowledge, but it's very hard for me to...
  11. Drifter in the Dark

James Brown- Parts 1 & 2

A question for all you funk conoisseurs out there. . . I own the 2-disc 50th Anniversary collection by James Brown, and the only thing I don't like about it is that the extended versions of certain tunes (like Sex Machine) have been cut short to feature only "part 1". Does anybody know of a...
  12. Drifter in the Dark

Cymbal to pair with K crash?

I have an 18 inch K Zildjian Dark Crash (medium-thin), and I've been looking for a cymbal to complement it for some time, but I haven't been able to find anything that pairs well with it. I definitely need something that's thinner and smaller (probably a 16). Any of you cymbal experts out there...