Search results

1. Drumprof

The reason for the Gretsch sound?

Agree with this. Exceptional and unique. That’s what I have always appreciated about Gretsch drums (I own USA Customs) is they just have their own thing. The have a wonderfully unique character to them that’s different from my Yamaha’s for example. Both are wonderful sounds but different. You...
  2. Drumprof

Your honest critique...

Btw OP - Totally agree with your Pearl and DW critiques.
  3. Drumprof

Your honest critique...

Yamaha: Open up the Tour Custom line with add-ons like you do with the Stage Custom. 18 bd’s / an all maple bop shell pack. 14 and 16 Ft’s available so we can have a 20 inch kick shell pack and add a 16. Maybe an 8 inch Tom and 24 inch bass drum. And for heavens sake, get back to some more...
  4. Drumprof

Best jazz albums(with great jazz drumming)?

Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section.
  5. Drumprof

Yamaha Drums

And yes, they could up the finishes on the tours and beef up the bass and Floor Tom legs a bit. but again, understated while being extremely competent is kind of a Yamaha thing. I do think Yamaha needs to up their marketing game. I know they rely on reputation but great marketing and a few...
  6. Drumprof

Yamaha Drums

Nice. I get you brother. I had to scratch my Gretsch itch there for a couple of years.
  7. Drumprof

Yamaha Drums

I understand. I actually funded the Hybrid purchase by selling my Maple Custom bop kit I had for about 23 years or so.
  8. Drumprof

Yamaha Drums

9. Drumprof

Yamaha Drums

Nope. I love them, they are keepers. The Hybrids are incredible drums with the latest, greatest shell and hardware technology Yamaha has to offer. I kind of think of them as a top trim, limited, fully loaded car. The Tours I have come to appreciate as just a great basic, well built, no frills...
  10. Drumprof

Top 10 kits of 2020...

I didn’t mean the MDS video as a slight to DCP. those guys are great and great players, I justnotice how much better you can hear this whole Yamaha kit played wonderfully. The MDS kid never plays a groove without incorporating the toms, or the shuffle with nice clean, easy to hear fills. It’s...
  11. Drumprof

Top 10 kits of 2020...

I’m with you that man. This is how you demo a set of drums!!
  12. Drumprof

Glass glitter wrap

I own both wrap and lacquer and really like both but wraps sure handle the gigging better and I agree they are a bit more “controlled” but certainly not lacking any of that great Gretsch beautiful woody tone. Resonance is great but how well it is controlled to a greater or lesser degree...
  13. Drumprof

Glass glitter wrap

Here they are under blue light, even with the stage darkened (because we were on a break), they still stand out.
  14. Drumprof

Glass glitter wrap

I think the Ginger Ale color is real nice. its not silver and it’s not gold. and to the subject of the thread, I think glass just adds pop to the finish especially under lighting. Have had no issues with mine. Check it out under some stage lights.
  15. Drumprof

Glass glitter wrap

My USA floor tom in ginger ale glass.
  16. Drumprof

New starclassic kit issue.. [Solved]

That’s definitely unacceptable. that bass drum looks terrible like that. The shell does look like a drop.
  17. Drumprof

Happy Birthday Bermuda

Happy Birthday and thank you for your wisdom of oversight and contributions to this site, and our art form.
  18. Drumprof

Are overpriced drums worth it ? A Defence of mapex

To me....Just a couple points..... I agree Yamaha used to be “sterile” sounding but the if you look at the lineup, the Hybrid Maples, the Hybrid oaks and the Phoenix have identity and purpose to the sound. Does anyone here actually know what Chinese Yamaha workers make compared to Japanese...
  19. Drumprof

A possibly flaming thread

Interesting discussion. I believe, and have discussed with several other Gretsch guys with more experience than I and kits spanning several decades that Gretsch (Keller) is making their best and most consistent drums these days. I think DW just wanted to have control over and develop their own...
  20. Drumprof

20” kicks anyone?

I love 20’s. I own two of them. They are my favorite size because there so versatile, easy to handle and as mentioned allow more flexible Tom positioning. I also think not all 20’s are created equal. Yamaha, Gretsch and I have to throw Tama in there make some of the best most consistent bass...