Search results

1. Nictarine

Prop me up beside the jukebox...er, uh my drumset (if I die).

At least rent a nice kit to put my body behind, not a damn Percussion Plus! Send me off in style. And have the damn hi-hats on the correct side and OMG the tom angles, he's rolling in his grave now I'm sure.
  2. Nictarine

I'm too loud...aparently

As a punk rock drummer, the hardest part for me was learning to stop doing a rimshot on every snare hit, that isn't always needed.
  3. Nictarine

I'm too loud...aparently

I agree completely and I work on my volume control and dynamics pretty regularly, it's just not going to be an overnight fix which is what I was under the impression that OP wants. It takes a lot of time and work to break bad habits. At the end of the day, drums are loud and the band might have...
  4. Nictarine

I'm too loud...aparently

Unless you're just smashing on everything there's not a whole lot you can do. You can try thinner sticks or the little bundle sticks, you can try the Sabian FRX cymbals if you have money to burn. I'd suggest that they get ear plugs and turn their amps up a little bit.
  5. Nictarine

Wonky drum sizes that'll make resale difficult...

Pretty sure that's at the store I used to work at, I just want to know why deeper kick drums were a thing to begin with!
  6. Nictarine

Wonky drum sizes that'll make resale difficult...

I like short toms, makes it easier to get it positioned in low over a bigger kick drum without scratching the shit out of it, but no thanks on that deep kick drum, glad I never fell into that trend.
  7. Nictarine

Roland TD25 to iPhone - Roland Go:Mixer or Zoom q8?

Thank you! I'll check it out, would I be able to run external audio in as well (metronome, audio from iPhone, or a microphone for my voice?)
  8. Nictarine

I don’t like teaching little kids.

Teaching children (5-9) is a whole different animal than teaching kids that are a little older, it's definitely not for everyone! When I was teaching lessons I was the guy that was chosen to teach kids (I have tons of patience), you have to make little games out of everything and simplify...
  9. Nictarine

Roland TD25 to iPhone - Roland Go:Mixer or Zoom q8?

I want to record audio and video of myself playing, ideally, I'd like to be able to do it all on my iPhone. I have a Roland TD25 electronic kit. Does anyone use the Roland Go Mixer? Could I record the video and audio at the same time and not have to splice them together? I've also considered...
  10. Nictarine

Beat up old drum set - what do I do with it

Where do you live? Someone on here might be interested in bringing them back to life.
  11. Nictarine

Band names

Best - Violent Handjob Worst - Violent Handjob
  12. Nictarine

if you where to go back and change one thing in your life what would it be and why?

Came here to say the same! Drinking caused me nothing but trouble and the same with my little brother who recently passed, my brain doesn't understand moderation so it's either all or nothing and I should have stuck with nothing! I'm going on 5 years sober now, but I threw away a solid 12 years.
  13. Nictarine

who is your favorite drummer in the world?

Dave Grohl. I remember watching Nirvana play on MTV before I was interested in the drums and thinking he looked cool as hell. Now as a drummer, his drumming on the Queens of the Stone Age record Songs for the Deaf is the epitome of rock drumming, and his work is Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Them...
  14. Nictarine

So what happened to electronic drums

I was always biased towards them and still think cheap ones are a waste of money. I got a Roland TD25 for practice at home and I dig it way more than I was expecting, I can plug my phone in and play along to music and not piss off my wife or my neighbors, and overall it's pretty realistic...
  15. Nictarine

Do people make fun of you for your ear protection?

I used to think only dweebs wore earplugs, now I'm 37 with the hearing of an 80-year-old war vet, and I really wish I started wearing earplugs sooner! In my defense, there weren't a lot of options in the late 90s/early 2000s other than foam plugs that make everything sound like mumbled shit. If...
  16. Nictarine

How many of you are self-taught?

When I worked at Guitar Center I'd see kids in the drum room tapping stuff with no idea what they are doing, I'd be like "wanna learn a beat!?" I'd show them the ACDC beat with quarters on the hats and then with 8ths, you could see it all making sense in their brain!
  17. Nictarine

I was teaching a lesson and was telling the student "next week, we'll cover...." and he goes oh yeah, "I'm moving to North Carolina tomorrow", damn dawg a little heads up would have been neat!!
  18. Nictarine

I learned proper technique with my hands, rudiments, how to read music and plenty of other stuff in concert and marching band in Jr High and High School, but I'm self-taught on the kit.
  19. Nictarine

Parent asked me not to teach practice pad.

One thing I've always done with small kids is having them clap along to rhythms. I first teach them quarter notes, then quarter note rests, then when they have that down we add in 8th notes, then if you're brave add in 8th note rests, then we add in 16th notes. I use a marker board and I'll...