Search results

1. Kuromaku

Cymbal blending

Having played Sabians and Paistes - and now Zildjian Ks, I've been the most satisfied with how I've built my current setup. I started fresh with a K Custom Dark set (14" hats, 20" ride, 17" crash) and then intentionally picked from other series while staying with Ks overall. So I added a K Sweet...
  2. Kuromaku

Cymbal Setup - Am I Done?

Hahaha. THIS is the exact way to get me to keep buying stuff. Reverse psychology, whether intended or not. My immediate response was, "No I'm not! I'm not done!"
  3. Kuromaku

OP here. I can always count on the community here to be in my brain. I appreciate all your comments as they've made me think again about the issues I've wrestled with while building my new collection. To address the most common topics: Why not add a china? I never liked the sound of them...
  4. Kuromaku

Another dumb question: What makes a "great" ride cymbal?

Admitting right out of the gate that I didn't read the whole thread, so I'm guessing my comment will serve as a +1 to stuff others have said. I'm such a major ride player, i.e. I might play it more than my hats, that I need it to carry everything I play - I can't be too specialized in wanting a...
  5. Kuromaku

Famous last words. I'll refer back to this thread when I go full Terry Bozzio after cursing myself with this post. My conversion from a four piece kit with hats/crash/ride to a seven piece kit and a new array of cymbals is almost complete. My second snare's delivery date has been pushed back...
  6. Kuromaku

Yamaha Stage Custom v.s. Gretsch Catalina Maple

Working from a Titleist AP1 PW, so 48/54/60. NOT 48/52/56. I love my 60 and I don't want to carry four wedges.
  7. Kuromaku

Yamaha Stage Custom v.s. Gretsch Catalina Maple

I completely embrace redundant threads and threads that come back to life. No sarcasm - I believe they are the essential nature of forums and participate, re-state my original position, oppose my original position... 9mm v. .40 S&W - which is the better caliber??? What's more important ground...
  8. Kuromaku

Pics of 3 up configurations?

Here's mine. Cymbals are always changing their spots and another snare is coming in to go to the left of the hats. But the toms have stayed the same since I went from 1up/1down to 3up/1down. The 8" is on an arm attached to the cymbal stand. The 10" and 12" are on a dual tom holder mounted on the BD.
  9. Kuromaku

Special Dry Trash Crash

Perhaps I'm getting over-analytical here, but I like hearing about the dynamic difference with this cymbal - and I can see how Larnell Lewis for example uses his often in simultaneous hits with other cymbals. That contrast in volume helps get a combined sound out of it that's different than...
  10. Kuromaku

Special Dry Trash Crash

Thanks for the feedback - I'm really liking what I'm hearing. I'm just waiting on some timing before putting in the order, but I'm certain this is the one I'm going to get. I have a K Custom Dark crash and a K Sweet crash - I've been intentionally staying away from splashes and chinas for my...
  11. Kuromaku

Special Dry Trash Crash

Just the kind of "review" I was looking for. Much appreciated.
  12. Kuromaku

Special Dry Trash Crash

About to pull the trigger on a 17" Special Dry Trash Crash. Would like to hear your experiences with it. Like it, love it, disappointed? And how do you use it - effect off to the side or primary crash? How is it in the mix - splashy/fast, china-like, too low in volume?
  13. Kuromaku

Your ride cymbal (in review)

1. K Custom Dark 20" - loved the tone and stick feel, wanted to go more dark and classic (as opposed to bright). 2. It seems like I should say some big, K Constantinople, but they're too washy for me. I would probably go with something dry, like a Special Dry. 3. Light, thin, over-hammered. That...
  14. Kuromaku

Hi Hat Height

I'm setup very similar to this - hats 30" from the floor, 8" above the head of my snare. My hi hat and ride are at the same height, which are at about the same height as my rack toms. My crashes are about 5" above that level. And as I noted, my snares and floor tom are about 8" lower than the hi...
  15. Kuromaku

Hi Hat Height

From the floor to right where the hi hat top meets the hi hat bottom when closed = 29.5".
  16. Kuromaku

Coated vs. Clear Heads

When I was playing my kit as a four piece, "coffeehouse" style kit, I had Evans coated heads on the toms - more muted, warmer tones. Since I've geared up my kit to a seven piece Larnell Lewis/Cobus Potgieter style rig, I switched to clear G2s. Much more attack and resonance. The high toms sing...
  17. Kuromaku

Hi Hat Height

Since we're in the weeds here, I'll go ahead and provide my update as the OP. I guess we all signed up to be part time structural engineers when we decided to pick up the sticks... So I was able to clamp my stack where it comes in ABOVE the hi-hat and below the crash. This allows me to have the...
  18. Kuromaku

Hi Hat Height

To provide some context, I'm dealing with crowding. In orbit around the hats are: 8" tom 17" crash Coming soon, side snare 10" stack The 10" stack is the reason that I've had to raise the hats a bit. I've tried them all around the kit and like them most nestled right under my hi-hat. The...
  19. Kuromaku

Hi Hat Height

Random question of the day - do you play your hats cranked up high like Travis Barker or down low like Brian Blade? (I mean literal height of the cymbals, not style or tone or whatnot.)
  20. Kuromaku

Cymbal Recommendations?

This is a huge matter that runs through my head nonstop. I also had hats, a ride, and two crashes when I really wrestled with this. I loved splashes in my younger years - and that would be the perfect item for where you want to place it on your kit - but I feel like that sound is so overused...