Search results

1. O

Post Pandemic drum gear trends?

the 80" bass drum will be all the rage until an unfortunate accident involving a run away drum and a dance floor full of unsuspecting patrons. following several congressional hearings determining the issue is not fixed by wearing additional PPE, all bass drums will be restricted to 10" when...
  2. O

Learning Pieces to Tempo - Your Approach?

At 45RPM I liken it to a latin feel where 33.3RPM is more like a straight quarter feel. I would like to see a classic punk band get ahold of it now that you put the thought in my mind...
  3. O

Learning Pieces to Tempo - Your Approach?

First time listening, note the tempo(and tempo changes) and time sigs, number of bars in each section...and where the pulse of the song lay in each section. I document at this point with a modified Nashville Notation Method. Except for really extreme songs, I can then just lay down time...and...
  4. O

THOUGHTS ON SELF-LEARNING DRUMS

I don't see a definition of self taught vrs not self taught. The moment you listen to another drummer you are learning from what that other drummer is doing. Pure self education does not exist. With that said, the only lessons I have had were in public school...and after the teaching of basic...
  5. O

WHERE DO YOU DRAW CREATIVITY FROM?!

You can feel when something is familiar...as though it is in your usual vocabulary. You can train yourself to practice stopping the moment you feel that, back up to where the feeling started then go at it again seeking a sensation from your playing that is not one of familiarity. This is VERY...
  6. O

Hearing Protection- What's Yours?

high quality in-ear buds(no custom work) with inexpensive peltior cups(designed for industrial use) over them. Researched custom molds but i found i dont really need them. ps - ALWAYS run a limiter on anything coming into your ear canal...no need to lose hearing for the lack of a simple bit of...
  7. O

Equiptment memories

I remember when I first saw an Axis Pedal...never heard of them before seeing one...the engineering floored me as did the sticker price. bought one 20 years later when the price fit my budget.
  8. O

Drummers who have changed brand affiliation the most??

I fear the day I go to see a great drummer at their latest project....and they have TACO BELL's Logo plastered on their bass drum. Can we pass legislation that at least keeps endorsements by drummers to equipment holding the companies label?...pretty please? <<i'd like a bean burrito with...
  9. O

Am I too old to start drumming?

I hope you keep us informed. I am looking forward to what you create as your life experiences are pretty unique compared to the usual drummer!
  10. O

If you could only recommend three instructional books, what would they be?

I'll play! 1) Advanced techniques for the modern drummer - Chapin is the man! I respectfully consider this very good as a beginning point. Some think it is purely jazz/be-bop...it is not. 2) New Breed - yay Gary Chester...something I think of as, at least, intermediate...but really, depends on...
  11. O

NEED TIPS: Learning Drums By Ear

careful of 'black page migraines'...worse than ice cream headaches as they last longer. ...and yes, this is a necro post...but resurrection IS divine! ; )
  12. O

NEED TIPS: Learning Drums By Ear

I have to hear the music before i can document it. Practice charting anything and everything each day and that practice will train your ability to hear. I do suggest reviewing your work against any existing charts...and making your own before looking at others. A wonderfully enlightening...
  13. O

Are YouTube videos helping to create an ADD society?

I'm not so sure the average youth attention span IS lower than in the past. I have yet to see a study support it...I look forward to anyone who can cite such a thing! Elders tend to have more practice so I think we see those with less practice as deficient as opposed to ourselves being more...
  14. O

Negative effects of positive feedback.

I tend to find that positive feedback from average listeners is more of an attempt to join in the fun...and I try to accept their comments in that light and formally invite them into the festivities.
  15. O

Positive effects of negative feedback

I tend to find positive feedback almost useless based on the source...and negative feedback just as unreliable if not ego driven. This is why we hire coaches...to get reliable and usable feedback.
  16. O

Great art comes from great pain

Anyone consciously trying to wrest art from someone by hurting them in any way should be removed from the gene pool immediately. Im not so sure better art comes from pain...but common understanding of the emotion portrayed does...seems more a statement of the horrid state of humanity in...
  17. O

This trend of adding objects onto playing surfaces...

ive been guilty of mounting a finger cymbal on top of my HH rod...but any weight that really effects the movement of the HH really turns me off.
  18. O

heel toe - help

As assistance to OP... I try to practice both rrll rrll and rlrl rlrl...and be able to switch between.
  19. O

Hey Rush Fans...

I hope, if they do this, they approach it as a new thing...and ignore their own hype...and desire to tap into their previous fame...I bet they could surpass what they have done as they have grown so much...but only if they find joy in it.
  20. O

RIP Chick Corea

I always though Chic would have been great with Hendrix....