Search results

1. R

Depression and drumming

Been playing for about 20 years now and have played with my share of great and terrible musicians. I was forced to move out of my family home, country and regular gigging circuit due to a brother that has insecurities and basically ruined my musical reputation by telling people I was an...
  2. R

Housemate reported me for drumming, again...

Hi all, I think I posted something similar a while ago when my housemate reported my drumming to the landlord. I was never playing overly loud (put towels over all drums and didn’t touch the cymbals) or for extended periods. At the time it was agreed between me and him that I would keep it...
  3. R

Moving on from Evans Genera Dry...

Hi all, Been playing the Genera Dry on my 14x8 Pearl Modern Utility since November and feel a change is in order. Its not that I dislike the Evans, I just feel I could be getting more out of the drum with something else. Local music store has quite a good selection of heads and I've narrowed...
  4. R

Band being unreasonable?

Seems I have a habit of picking the wrong group... Been playing with a group for about 6 months now and it was going largely well until recently. The last couple of gigs being punk gigs mainly meant the drummers didn’t tune their kits. So other than occasionally being allowed to use my own...
  5. R

Open mic night gear?

Hi all, My band are currently promoting our first EP so are touring around local area. Some places are just too small for a full group but do offer open mics. The last one I did I just brought a 13x3.5 mapex mpx piccolo snare and zildjian 12”new beats on an x-hat off the snare stand. This was...
  6. R

British Drum Co Aviator

Anyone have this? Would like to hear people’s opinion on it and how it might compare to say a Supraphonic. There’s a Supra and the aviator for sale near me, both in 5.5” depths and same price. Thanks, R
  7. R

Triggering drums

Hi all, Been thinking about adding another dimension to my live performances and triggering seems to be the most immediately affordable and available option. The Roland TM-2 and RT-30 particularly catch my interest. I'm starting with the kick and snare to keep things simple initially. So...
  8. R

Drumstick between 5A and 5B

Does such a thing exist? I find I get the most powerful hit from a 5B stick but my wrists get tired quicker than with a 5A. Though the 5B lacks some sensitivity for lighter styles which forces me to use a 5A. Don’t get me wrong I like the 5A but just feel I should be getting more out of it...
  9. R

New wood snare options

Hi all, Haven’t had a proper wood snare for a while and have played a few that I liked. Basically I need one for mic’d shows and recording work, choices are: Mapex MPX 14x7 maple Pearl modern utility maple 14x8 Tama Soundworks 13x7 kapur Tama S’works 14x6.5 maple I prefer low tuning for a...
  10. R

Snare tuning for un-mic'd shows (small to medium sized venues)

Hi all, Got a few gigs coming up soon and just been informed these are all going to be on un-mic'd shared kits. I'm allowed to bring my own snare and cymbals so at least that's a good compromise. My snare choices are: 1. WorldMax 14x6.5 brass shell - this seems to sound better in lower...
  11. R

Band won’t do “full” gigs

Hey all, My current band are in the process of trying to promote an EP we’ve just recorded and the rest of the group seem reluctant to have any live drums. Basically they’ve played several open mics now and I asked if I could get involved to which I was sternly told “no way dude”. Even the...
  12. R

Dumb (drum) key question

Hi all, Was watching a Benny Greb video where he talks about the Remo Quicktech drum key, specifically what interested me is the rubber bit on top – apparently this is for getting all lugs ‘finger tight’ which I think is a great feature. Question is – if I see drum keys with similar ‘knobs’ on...
  13. R

Snare tension rods coming loose

Hi guys, Been playing my World Max 14x6.5 (black hawg/dawg?) and noticed the tension rods are coming loose after a couple of songs. Though interestingly this only seems to happen at low tunings which I've only started doing recently. Also the only lugs that go completely loose are at the...
  14. R

Pearl Chad Smith snare strainer

Hi all, I've been noticing when playing my chad smith signature snare at high impact levels the strainer has been gradually moving out from the shell every time I hit. I think it's called a Gladstone style strainer. Has anyone else ever experienced this? It seems to reach a point then stops...
  15. R

Snares in checked luggage

Hi guys, Need to bring some snares over to where I live now and pretty much the only option is to check them. I have fairly strong cases (protection racket) which will be put in a hard samsonite suitcase so not overly concerned about damage. Only real concern is the weight, I'm allowed 46kg...
  16. R

Drumming leading to eviction

Hi guys, I live in a houseshare with 4 other people and they were all made aware that I have a band and need to practice. I even informed the landlord who was understanding also. Unfortunately one housemate has chosen to ignore the fact I told him this and because he doesn't communicate with...
  17. R

Pearl Decade Maple - talk me out of this!

Hi all I’m living away from home for the foreseeable future and transporting a kit over from home is not an option. Joining a local gigging band (funk/pop material) meant looking at 2nd-hand kits but all this threw up was low quality, bad condition gear so found a local seller with a new...
  18. R

Trouble finding musicians

Posted a thread a while back in relation to finding fellow musicians but since then there has been no joy. There was one group which fit the bill but unfortunately due to a broken wrist I was unable to meet the group and reluctantly told them to get someone else. My full time job looks like...
  19. R

Ludwig Supraphonic - 5" or 6.5" depth?

Hi all, A local music shop has both depths supras in stock and I'm torn between the two. Played both and I think the deeper one is marginally louder but then again I didn't play it side by side with the 5" so hard to say. Basically I need something versatile enough to do pop rock and jazz...
  20. R

Booted out of band, advice needed

Hi guys, Due to the nature of my work I'm being forced to move away from home for work but this has come at the cost of my beloved band. I explained to them that I have the option to work Monday to Thursday only which means I can be home every Friday afternoon and have most every weekend free...