Search results

1. A

The Greatest YouTube Drum Solo on Earth

... Post your link on this thread. Not your top 5, not your best 3 ....just 1- that you think is the impactful thing you every heard on drums. Could be a known guy, an unknown, the guy next door... metal, polka, jazz... 1927, 37, 2017 whenever/whatever.. BUT JUST 1 that you think is...
  2. A

Solo East Africa - Experiences?

... Why are you on a drum forum? But since you are, Tanzania is a life changing experience. There is nothing more spectacular and awe inspiring than the Serengeti. It is pretty well established tourist destination, so no great fer of the unknown lurking out there. Tanzania can be done in...
  3. A

Your 5 top gigs. As audience

... Your 5 top gigs. As audience. As in not the biggest, baddest gigs you ever saw but gigs that grabbed you by your musician cohones and opened up a new world for you and helped define you as the musician you are today. ( notice I said musician not drummer. Important difference ) Im also...
  4. A

Great clinician drummer, no-so-good band drummer?

.. Confusious say " Great clinician drummer, no-so-good band drummer" JoJo Mayer, Benny Greb, Virgil Donati, Thomas Lang, Gergo Borlai, Tony Royster Jr. Akira Jimbo etc to name a few.... monster players, masters of their instruments, not much of a music legacy.. Is to much of anything...
  5. A

What's your favorite ice cream?

.........................!!!!!..........................
  6. A

Whats Pop?

... This thread is triggerd by something Bermuda said on another thread- What is Pop music? Music that sells the most, music thats most listened to? Music that excels or sells the most within its genre? For example is Metallica's Enter Sandman, a pop tune? Is Dave Brubeck's Take 5 a pop...
  7. A

Papa's got the same ol' bag

.. I started playing with some amount of seriousness when I was 15 years old. Went through a sabbatical in my 30s when financial instability intervened. Been playing some semi-pro/ some sometimes pro ever since. I'll be 58 next month so thats 33 years of solid playing. And I think Im just...
  8. A

The 'Claw' Grip

... Would love to see a vid clip of the grip if anyone could rustle one up! Btw, conTraption, the Appice pic doesn't quite look like a claw grip. It's more like... ...
  9. A

The 'Claw' Grip

... Greetings folks, after many a moon! Hope y'all are very merry during the silly season! Had a really interesting revelation thanks to a conversation I had recently and I thought I'd share it with everyone. A good drummer friend of mine is currently doing a multi-city world tour with one...
  10. A

SO what annoys you? (The so is on purpose)

11. A

Dave King's Rational Funk ~ thoughts? opinions? comments?

... Aloha, maties! I'm laughing my head off and am in love with Dave King's ( Drummer The Bad Plus ) world view. His abstract and yet deeply personal take on drumming & music is expressed in a series of zany, funny, articulate, and refreshingly honest videos in a series called RATIONAL FUNK (...
  12. A

Equal Opportunity Hands?

... Hello fellow thigh-slappers! I re-surface like a whale, once every so often in these here parts now, but random musings are my thing as some of you might know.. SO when when I muses, I shows up here; If y'all could indulge me in a quick informal poll: * If your good hand is 100% what %...
  13. A

Is live music dead?

How long have we been plotting this drink PFG? 5 years!!? I hear what you are saying. I know us seekers of the Grail will eventually find ourselves a thirst quencher. Its still there but there's hardly anybody there, or listening.. its all a little grimey, yes smells funny too and the money...
  14. A

Is live music dead?

... Shocked to see how little great musicians play for these days. Not shocked to see promoters prefer low cost/low hassle DJs Amazed at the general disinterest in live music in a music club anywhere in the world. Not amazed when I consider the number of choices one has to...
  15. A

The body-snatchers

... This is addressed mainly to the intermediate > advanced drummers who play any form of improvisationally oriented music- but hey… do jump in if it tickles: During practice, a performance or a gig do you ever find yourself channeling a drummer that has inspired you? I’m not...
  16. A

The Speed Obsession

Greetings folks- after a million years! An oblique slantly rant/musing that crossed my mind and I thought I'd share ... What is it about our fascination with speed? About the degree of difficulty? In music - in everything else? Usain Bolt. Mike Schumacher, Racehorses, Mike Mangini, Eddie Van...
  17. A

L.A tips? USC ?

... Hola DW! Its been a while. I'm not here that much anymore, but I do lurk occasionally. A quick question and a non drumming one - to the LA siders. I going to drop my kid off at USC next spring semester ( Jan ) and I've heard the neighbourhood is rough, though USC is in a bit of a bubble...
  18. A

The problem with Jazz

.... Branford Marsalis, the man known for the longest time, for saying it like he sees it, comments on the state of jazz, yet again. ( Seattle weekly news ). A few things that he says do ring true with me, but I was interested hearing from the good folk here with strong opinions, one way or...
  19. A

Can a mediocre drummer be… me?

.. well..? ...
  20. A

Jack, killing it @ 70

I just had to share this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiJMlUE1OUQ ...