Search results

1. MntnMan62

Playing small tom above hi hat with traditional grip

So, I recently bought my second kit after having the same kit for 45 years. Nothing wrong with it but felt that the two bands I was playing in before Covid will start up again soon and at least one, and hopefully both, will look to play out at some point. So I bought the kit to be my gigging...
  2. MntnMan62

Hanging vs. Floor Tom

I have a 5 piece kit that I love. Yamaha Stage Custom in Sapphire Blue with the high tension one piece lugs. Tom sizes are 12", 13" and 16". I would like to add a 14" and would prefer it to be a 14"x14" floor tom. But, I have the oppotunity to add a 14"x12" hanging tom as well as a 10"x9"...
  3. MntnMan62

Zappa's Laurel Canyon Home

Well, it seems the offspring of the guy who produced such great albums as One Size Fits All, Roxy and Elsewhere, Hot Rats, Apostrophe, Overnight Sensation, Joe's Garage and others have sold their father's home complete with the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen. The buyer? Lady Gaga. I find...
  4. MntnMan62

WTB Yamaha Stage Custom Toms

I figured I'd throw this out there just in case someone might have one or both in their possession and would like to sell. I recently bought a 2000 Stage Custom 5 piece kit in Sapphire Blue. I love the kit and am happy with the 5 piece but I would love to add two toms to the mix. I'd love a...
  5. MntnMan62

Chester Thompson Interview

Just saw this while perusing the news of the day. Best read of the day. I've been listening to Chester since I discovered his playing with Zappa. I'd say One Size Fits All is one of my favorite albums of all time. Same with Black Market and Seconds Out...
  6. MntnMan62

PDP CX Series

I've been looking at a lot of used drums lately and I'm honing in on a PDP CX kit. I'm trying to determine if it has the maple shells that so many have raved about. Were all CX shells maple or were there other CX shells that were not made of maple? All I have to go on is the Blue Onyx wrap...
  7. MntnMan62

Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage

I'm looking at a 5 piece kit, Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage online. 10/12/16/22 and a 5 1/2 x 14 snare. Open Box. So I presume never played. I can't really find much online about this line of drums. They are asking $600 for them. I'm wondering what you all might consider to be a fair price...
  8. MntnMan62

Pearl EXR

What might you folks think the value would be of this Pearl EXR kit complete with the hi hat, two cymbal stands, pedals, throne, snare stand and the cymbals? It appears to be in quite good condition but I don't know what vintage they are. Sizes are 12/13/16/22 with 5 1/2 x 14 snare. Cymbals...
  9. MntnMan62

Tuning Toms

After about 40 years I finally decided I had had enough of my indestructible Evans Blue Hydraulic heads that I originally installed on my drums back in the early 80's. I got them originally because I wanted that fat thud they make but also because I figured the double ply and oil would mean...
  10. MntnMan62

Keyhole Repair?

I recently broke down my kit to play it somewhere else. It had been many years since I had done that. Maybe as many as 30 or more. I usually play on the house kit for gigs or open jam sessions. I noticed that my 16" crash has a nice keyhole going on. So, I was perusing the wide world of the...
  11. MntnMan62

Indestructible?

I've been using the same set of Evans Blue Hydraulics on my drums for years, if not decades now. All the toms show some signs of wear but definitely no dents. And while I never really looked too closely, I never saw any evidence of wear of the bass drum batter head. A few weeks ago I carted...
  12. MntnMan62

I Feel Like I Just Woke Up From A 100 Year Slumber

I was watching a Drumeo video of Chris Coleman. I realize he's a Drummerworld 500. But I've never heard him before. Hence the whole waking up thing. OMG! This guy is insane. HIs chops are pure animal yet he's tasteful and grooves his a$$ off. If only Weather Report or George Duke were...
  13. MntnMan62

Slingerland Super Set-O-Matic Double Tom Mount

I have a vintage late 1970's double tom mount and just recently noticed that the plastic/polyurethane/whatever it's made of ball is loose where the long rod meets the ball. When I started googling to see if I could find another one in better condition than the one I currently have I found a guy...
  14. MntnMan62

Band Practice in the Covid Era

Ok. So, I've been jamming with a bass player and a guitar player over the past couple months. We've played about once a week and at my house. All three of us would wear masks. We've been talking about trying to find a singer and a keyboard player. The guitar player got a response to a local...
  15. MntnMan62

Small Tom Mount/Stand

I'm looking at a used 7 piece kit and the small tom doesn't come with a stand or mount for it. The other two toms mount to the bass drum and come with that hardware. But not the small tom. My quesiton is are all tom mounts that you attach to a cymbal stand universal or would I need to buy a...
  16. MntnMan62

Tama Superstar Classic vs. PDP Concept Maple

I am interested in finding a reasonably priced used kit that I can use for gigs when things open up again. My main kit is a mid 70s Slingerland Stage Band kit and apparently is fairly valuable. I want to keep it as my home kit and have another kit that I would not be too concerned about if...
  17. MntnMan62

Predicament

I've been jamming with a couple local guys around my age for a few weeks. The guitar player had posted on our local FB page looking for a drummer so I shot him a message. My initial reaction when I found what kind of music he was into was to tell him that maybe he might be better off...
  18. MntnMan62

When Buying a Used Kit

So, I was looking at a kit on Reverb that fulfilled what I am looking for in a kit that I intend to use for gigs and playing outside of my home. It is a 5 piece kit marketed as a shell pack with no snare. So, bass drum and 4 toms, two up and two down. The pictures weren't all that great but...
  19. MntnMan62

Zappa Documentary

I just read that there is a documentary coming out about the late great Frank Zappa. Zappa has been a huge musical influence to me during the course of my life. I was first introduced to Zappa when I was around 13 by the older brother of a friend of mine. I remember hanging out at their house...
  20. MntnMan62

Thinking of Taking on a Project

I have a 5 piece Slingerland Stage Band kit from the 70's in white marine pearl. Drum sizes are 5 1/2 x 14 snare, 14 x 20 kick, 8 x 12 and 9 x 13 mounted toms and a 14 x 14 floor tom. I'd really like to add a smaller 7 x 10 tom and Singerland didn't make them in that size for the Stage Band...