Search results

1. wildbill

Bass drum muffling for low volume

I use SoundOff pads for the bass drum: https://www.amazon.com/SoundOff-Evans-Universal-Bass-Mute/dp/B001CG51XC They're old and beat up, but still do the job. If you don't mind messing up a head, you could try LarryJ's approach. Stuffing it might be easiest though.
  2. wildbill

Are bop kits worth it?

Could be the perfect tool to get the job done - depending on the job.
  3. wildbill

Cymbal blending

You can probably coax some crash sounds out of the cymbals you have. If you want a crash that blends well with what you have, just get an 18" KCD crash or something. But it sounds to me that what you're after is actually two sets of cymbals - a bit darker set and a bright sounding set.
  4. wildbill

Are bop kits worth it?

Have you looked inside the bass drum to see if someone stuck some weights in there or something? :ROFLMAO: I had a couple Yam. SC bop kits and I think they're just about the lightest drums you can get. I've got a couple kits with 20" bass drums, and I think they're a better size for all...
  5. wildbill

Ever bought a great-sounding kit with a finish you weren't too crazy about?

I've never seen a kit that I was crazy about in the "gotta' have it" sense when it came to the finish. Some are really nice, some are really gross, and most are just OK. So, I guess I could live with most finishes, and some I wouldn't even consider. Other factors like sizes, sound, and so on...
  6. wildbill

Which ride should I get?

See if the store will let you bring your New Beats in to set up and try with those cymbals. Maybe they'll go well together - maybe not. I've got A and K Sweet rides, and they mesh together with New Beats like they're made for each other. YMMV
  7. wildbill

What's your latest purchase?

I don't think the Emad head itself is clicky, but the patch that comes with it might be.
  8. wildbill

New (to me) Ludwig Classic Maple

The less I think about it the better. :p Suffice it to say it's a Ludwig though.
  9. wildbill

Getting a small kit

I like Emads for my 18" bass drums, but if you really want a thud/thump, give a hydraulic a try. Not popular here, but it packed a wallop on an 18 I had. Nothing but thud/thump. I think for a not-quite-as-loud sound, go for a softer wood, maybe poplar. Harder woods seem to have more...
  10. wildbill

Getting a small kit

Only one that I know of, towards the bottom of this page: https://www.tama.com/usa/products/drum_kits/imperialstar_drumkit.html IE58C (18" Bass Drum Kit) Drums: 18"x14" bass drum, 10"x7" & 12"x8" tom toms, 14"x13" floor tom, 14"x5" snare drum My solution was to get a Stage Custom bop kit...
  11. wildbill

What's your latest purchase?

Those should do the job. I like your bass drum reso head design too.
  12. wildbill

I just talked myself down from another kit and now this thread is stirring up the gas again. :mad: :ROFLMAO:
  13. wildbill

Should I be worried? - New cymbal purchase

I agree. After drilling, the mounting hole should be an almost prefect circle. For it to get deformed or squashed in after that would take the impact of a hammer strike. If it bothered someone enough, it could be taken care of one way or another.
  14. wildbill

What do you think of this idea

Being a pirate's not all it's cracked up to be.
  15. wildbill

Sometimes good things happen. I really like your new set. (y)
  16. wildbill

Anyone care to guess what this actually is?

Doesn't look like any KCD I've seen. The hammer used on the KCD is very different - a small rectangular type compared to the squashed oval type in the first post. They also have a discernible bell, and a traditional finish. The GC cymbal looks like it could sound very good though. It also...
  17. wildbill

Sold the Gurus

I figured you didn't sell them, because if you did, you probably wouldn't post about it here. :p You had me going for a second when I read the title though. o_O
  18. wildbill

Parent asked me not to teach practice pad.

First thing that came to mind was - have the student do rudiments on a snare (at the kit), while hitting 1 and 3 with the bass drum, and 2 and 4 with the foot on the hi-hat. Accomplishes both goals. If that's not enough, throw in a cymbal hit at the beginning of each bar. Hard to remember...
  19. wildbill

Dumb question: How to buy drums?

If you can find an off the shelf set you want that's just missing a drum or two that you can order separately, it might not be too bad. Ordering a whole kit as separate drums would be a bit outrageous though. I've pretty much completely cooled off on the idea of getting another set.
  20. wildbill

The myth of special equipment?

Certain techniques might call for something specific. I'm thinking of the 'slide' bass drum style. I don't think it could be done with grippy soles instead of socks or a smooth leather sole.