Search results

1. E

Jim Blackley

Here's something I found recently on drum teacher Jim Blackley: https://yorkspace.library.yorku.ca/xmlui/bitstream/handle/10315/36243/Iannuzzi_Giuseppe_2019_Masters.pdf?sequence=2&isAllowed=y It talks about his background as well as the drumming philosophies he followed in his teaching. Very...
  2. E

Two new books on George Lawrence Stone

I just wanted to alert everyone about two books concerning Stick Control author George Lawrence Stone that recently came out. One is called “Drum Lessons with George Lawrence Stone,” by former Stone student Barry James, co-written by Joe Morello (he had been working with James on the book before...
  3. E

Marvin Dahlgren videos

Hey, I just wanted to share something cool I found on YouTube recently--there's a channel called "Marv's Legacy" containing many videos of Marvin Dahlgren talking about his classic method books, and demonstrating exercises from them. There are also some interviews with him talking about various...
  4. E

Jim Blackley books available in digital editions through 5/24/19

Hello all, Jim Blackley's son Kaja Blackley has recently been offering digital editions (in pdf format) of all of Jim Blackley's books (Syncopated Rolls for the Modern Drummer, The Essence of Jazz Drumming, and Rhythmical Explorations vol. 1-3). He recently announced on the Jim Blackley...
  5. E

Unique Elvin Jones CD

I just got a copy of the album Bill's Waltz by Gene Perla, which features Elvin Jones. Perla had played for a few years with Elvin's band in the early 70's, and in the mid-80's he got the idea of recording Elvin's drums and orchestrating parts to it afterwards. The recording of Elvin's drum...
  6. E

New Book on Stick Control Variations

I wanted to help spread the word about a book that came out recently--it's called "143 Binary Algorhythms Applied to Paradiddles, plus 43 Unique Exercises Based on Ravel's Bolero and More: A Compendium of Exercises Designed to Engage Both the Head and the Hands of the Discriminating Snare...
  7. E

For fans of Al Jackson, Jr. (and Steve Jordan and Jim Keltner)

I can't attend this (I wish I could), but I thought I'd give a heads up to anybody who lives in or near Memphis, that there is going to be an event this October in Memphis to celebrate Al Jackson, Jr's induction into the Memphis Music Hall of Fame. Jim Keltner and Steve Jordan will be there to...
  8. E

Nick Ceroli

I've been listening to some stuff with Nick Ceroli on drums lately, and just wanted to share. I think he's an incredibly underrated drummer. Check these out: With the Bob Florence Big band (1982): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDnfC3Ttwbo With the Pete Jolly Trio (1969)...
  9. E

Etta James tribute show

Okay, I've never posted stuff of my playing here before, but I thought I'd share this little clip from an Etta James tribute show that I played a few months ago in Portland, Oregon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itEPxcoV5Ks Nothing very drummistic, but I thought the overall show turned out...
  10. E

Daily Drumset Workout by Claus Hessler

Hi all, I wanted to give a plug for a really cool drum book by Claus Hessler that just was released in an English edition: Daily Drumset Workout. This is a really comprehensive drumset technique book, covering all sorts of independence and coordination. To me, it pulls together a lot of the...