Search results

1. D

What I Did and What I Ended Up With

Well, after watching the video from our Easter service, I did not like how the AAX 18" Studio Crash sounds in that room. So earlier today I changed the crashes at church. At Church (all Sabian except where noted) 21" AA Bash Ride 18" Zildjian K China 17" AAX Concept Crash 16" AAX Concept...
  2. D

Cymbal blending

With crash cymbals, I have found that they blend better if they are the same alloy. At our church the set has Paiste Alpha hats, and the rest are Sabian AA and AAX, with a Zildjian K China. That all works just fine. I have also used a Paiste ride with Sabian crashes, and that worked fine too...
  3. D

What's on your "wishlist"?

I have exactly the drums I want, and I have more good cymbals than I want to use at any one time. So I really do not have a drum set wish list. Peace and goodwill.
  4. D

Which ride should I get?

Check out the Sabian AA Bash Ride and the HHX Evolution Ride. Peace and goodwill.
  5. D

New (to me) Ludwig Classic Maple

Nice drums! May they give you years of musical joy. Peace and goodwill.
  6. D

Class ring curiosity

I had a class ring but lost it a long time ago. Peace and goodwill.
  7. D

What are you listening to right now?

More jazz...The Roy Hargrove Quintet earfood Peace and goodwill.
  8. D

Saturn Series help!

I can be the new Saturn cheerleader. I have a Saturn V set, which is my fourth one. The other three were Saturn Pros. One (the white one) is at my old church, one (the red one) is at another church that needed a set, and the other (another red one) was traded in when I bought a Gretsch jazz...
  9. D

Noob Question: How Long to Wait Before Upgrading Cymbals

Go to my cymbal.com and watch the videos with the best headphones or speakers you can. I bought two discontinued Sabian AAX crashes from there, and I am very pleased with how it all turned out. Peace and goodwill.
  10. D

Help I’m old and at a crossroads!!

Drums sound much different from out in front than they do to the drummer sitting behind them. What you hear as ringing is good tone from out front. If you are playing with other musicians, muffled drums sound like cardboard. I am 64 too and use no muffling on the toms at all. Good luck...
  11. D

What are you listening to right now?

I am listening to more jazz... Jimmy Greene Mission Statement. Peace and goodwill.
  12. D

DW Drums - Help Me Pick a Color

I like the blue, but I have blue drums already. Peace and goodwill.
  13. D

Toms: bass drum mount vs. stand mount

I bought a Saturn V kit that had no bass drum tom mount. After mounting the one rack tom on a cymbal stand and then later a Gibraltar platform stand, I installed a Pearl-type tom mount on my bass drum. I mount a cymbal boom in the hole I am not using. Peace and goodwill.
  14. D

Resonant head replacement

It will probably make more difference on the toms than the snare. In my vast experience, reso heads on toms matter almost as much as the batter heads. I have been playing and tuning drums for over fifty years.
  15. D

Why use expensive, good sounding cymbals?

I just use cymbals "naturally" and I did not spend much on them. My SR2 hats and SR2 18" Thin crash cost me $260. My AAX Studio crashes were new old stock, so I paid XSR prices for AAX cymbals. My 20" HHX Evolution Ride cost me $300 new. I like spending less and getting great sound. Peace...
  16. D

What do you take extra when gigging or touring

I usually take an extra snare drum, bass drum pedal, and duct tape. There are a drum key and pedal springs in my stick bag. Peace and goodwill.
  17. D

Sabian 20" HHX Stage Ride Alternative?

I have a 20" HHX Evolution Ride that is high pitched and is quite crashable. The bell is excellent. Peace and goodwill.
  18. D

Mapex Orion’s...stay or go??

That is a top-notch kit. You will have to spend lots of money to get a set that is only slightly better. Peace and goodwill.
  19. D

Double drummers.

If there are two drummers playing something very simple together, it sounds big and powerful. Peace and goodwill.
  20. D

Head recommendations-Mapex Saturn exotic studio ease

All of my toms have clear Evans G2's on top and clear G1's on the bottom. The bass drum has EQ 3 heads on back (clear) and front (black). Peace and goodwill. All of my drums are Mapex by the way.