Search results

1. caddywumpus

you can only pick two snare drums...

Zombie thread! Good read! I think I had about 30 snares at the time. I'm down to 11 now. If I had to pick only two: Black Beauty 14x6.5 Pork Pie maple 14x6 While I love my 400, 402, 14x10 50s Leedy parade drum, Ludwig pre-serial Auditorium, DW 14x4, '97 Ludwig 14x6.5 Super Classic...
  2. caddywumpus

My Bongo Solo

Great! Cool grooves, and very entertaining to watch! I can't wait to see more!
  3. caddywumpus

Anyone ever use your own mixer just for drums and then run a line to the snake/main sound board?

That picture gives me anxiety. I'm able to run FOH sound easily, and I've done a "set it and forget it" situation with one of those small powered mixers with only knobs, running it from the drum kit...but having the whole rollable PA rig set up by the kit? *shudders* To answer your question...
  4. caddywumpus

Ludwig Rocker or PDP CX

Yeah, they're annoying to gig with, but the kits sound great, regardless. I've got one set up in my teaching studio. As long as I'm not constantly tearing it down and setting it up, it's great! If I were to gig regularly with one, I would cut down the BD to a 22x14, and put floor tom legs on...
  5. caddywumpus

Ever bought a great-sounding kit with a finish you weren't too crazy about?

Any time I've bought a kit with a "fade." For example, I love the Pacific CX/LX/MX kits, but the green to black or red to black fades aren't very appealing to me. Same with those sparkle to black fades. Not for me.
  6. caddywumpus

Vintage 60's 3ply Ludwig shell thickness

1/4" The Poplar ply in the middle is 1/8" while the outer and inner plies, whether maple or mahogany, are each 1/16".
  7. caddywumpus

Noob Question: How Long to Wait Before Upgrading Cymbals

It's a bummer to play on gear that doesn't inspire you. I would recommend upgrading to something you like as soon as reasonably possible. There are a LOT of different types of cymbals out there. Check out the cymbal selection at a music store to see what the different types of cymbals sound...
  8. caddywumpus

Toms: bass drum mount vs. stand mount

I've got kits where the toms and kick sound GREAT when the toms are mounted on the bass drum. I've got a kit where the tom sounds fine but the bass drum sounds stifled. I've got another kit, still, where the rack tom doesn't sound its best unless it's flown in from a cymbal stand on a RIMS...
  9. caddywumpus

What do you take extra when gigging or touring

Extra batter head for each drum, placed in the bottom of the case, batter side up. The drum seats on top of it. Other than that, an extra pair of drumsticks. Depending on the tour, and how much room we have in the van, I sometimes use a larger bass drum case and stuff my clothes in it, around...
  10. caddywumpus

Multi-instrumentalists: how do you manage practicing multiple instruments without burning yourself out?

As a multi-instruMENTAList (thanks, Larry!), I've devoted many hours to the instruments I play. I don't think you need to be grinding away all the time on every instrument, striving to better yourself by leaps and bounds on each one. My journey involved a year of serious study on the guitar...
  11. caddywumpus

Moeller technique do you really need to master it?

1. There's no reason to, unless you find the method helpful to your playing. "Necessary"? No. 2. That's up to the individual. 2a. Possibly. Parts of the Gladstone technique came naturally to me before I even knew about it. Once I discovered it, I used that knowledge to expand upon my...
  12. caddywumpus

Thinking of going down to a 12/14/20

DO IT!!!!! YEAHHHHHHHHH!!!!
  13. caddywumpus

Thinking of going down to a 12/14/20

I've been rocking my Ludwig 12/14/20 for years now. Still the best set I've ever played. In my years of gear-hunting, any time I've had a 20" and 22" kick of the same model side-by-side, the 20" was by far the punchier drum. Sure, the 22" has the boom, but the 20" smacks you in the gut. A...
  14. caddywumpus

What key is the Nat'l Anthem in? All of them!

My favorite comment was "While we were all learning EGBDF, she was learning IDGAF."
  15. caddywumpus

What key is the Nat'l Anthem in? All of them!

Yes, and I, too, hate it when drummers play anything other than the exact note-for-note drum part of a song. If a drummer misses a tom hit on a fill, or add an extra crash cymbal mid-verse, I angrily throw my hands up and walk out of the venue...
  16. caddywumpus

Does buying pre owned bother you?

My rule for buying used gear is to not buy anything for more than I could turn around and sell it for. The exception to the rule is if there's something that's really unique or rare that I really want to check out. I have bought plenty of duds--not anything that turned out to be damaged, but...
  17. caddywumpus

The Orlando Drummer: Why I Hate 12 Inch Rack Toms

Different strokes for different folks. His setup is a 10" rack tom, 14" and 16" floor toms, and a 20" kick drum...and he's complaining about 12" toms! Well, specifically, 12x9s sound "boxy," but something smaller like a 12x7 or 12x8 would be fine. But, mostly, he doesn't like them because...
  18. caddywumpus

List of 100+ jazz standards

My advice, especially since you're a self-declared "not a jazz drummer," would be to find songs that you enjoy listening to, and learn those, first. Learn the charts, listen to different versions by different artists, play along to them...get into them. Which tunes are catchy to you? Learn...
  19. caddywumpus

PDP Snare Drums

The matching snares that come with their drum sets aren't the best/most inspiring, but the rest of their snares that I've played have been passable at worst and great at best.
  20. caddywumpus

Jazz drumming: thinking vs feeling

One of the weirdest comments I got, about 8 years ago, was that my xylophone/vibraphone soloing sounded like I was trying to actively solve a math problem. I took that as a cue to focus more on playing "music," rather than try to theoretically figure out how to best navigate the changes on the...