Search results

1. Mastiff

Best Ear Muffs For Maintaining Fidelity?

https://www.gk-music.com/product/ultraphones/
  2. Mastiff

No, Ultraphones have quality audio speakers inside high isolation muffs.
  3. Mastiff

I swear I posted on here, but the post appears to be lost. I don't have the patience to type it all again, but I recommend a mic'd kit with Ultraphones if you can swing it. I also have custom in-ears and they are less convenient and can have uneven isolation in my experience. There are also...
  4. Mastiff

Dumb question: How to buy drums?

My first quote on a la carte shells was an eye opener. About double the price of a comparable shell pack. I think you have to really want it. I'll be looking at finding a close shell pack and augmenting with hopefully just one additional drum.
  5. Mastiff

Pics of 3 up configurations?

Nice. How do you like the rack vs stands?
  6. Mastiff

Drums and the Significant Other

Lots of lucky guys (and gals) here. My wife is neutral to slightly negative. She shows no interest in it whatsoever and provides no encouragement. Not actively negative however, aside from the very occasional passive aggressive comment about how much time I spend. We're doing alright...
  7. Mastiff

Great looking kits. Now I'm even more excited to get my new kit going.
  8. Mastiff

Yeah, I'm thinking 10,12,13 racks and leaning to a 14 for floor, even though I know that's unusual. And also yeah, I plan to leave the bass clean and use all stands, or possibly even a rack. I have good hardware for my cymbals already, but otherwise will buy new, though I may piggy back onto a...
  9. Mastiff

I'm researching for my next kit, which I want to have 3 rack toms. Looking for ideas on how best to mount them (and exactly where, positionally). I'd like to feel more centered than my current kit which is kind of like "all to the right" except the hi-hat, as is typical. This may not be...
  10. Mastiff

Where is the best place to sell drums

When you guys say FB Marketplace, which group(s) are you talking about?
  11. Mastiff

Currently Tama Swingstar. Got the whole thing with junky cymbals and throne for $200. Have since gotten nice cymbals, hats, stands, heads, and pedals but the actual drums are still here. I have no strict budget, and would like to get something nice that will (likely) last me forever. Having...
  12. Mastiff

I look all the time. Mostly entry level stuff so far around here.
  13. Mastiff

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm not a super gear guy, so I don't know what all my exact options are. Typing "8"x10" tom" into Sweetwater search returns no results that are actually single drums, for example. But yeah, maybe I just need to call and see if I can find a salesman who knows...
  14. Mastiff

I'll be looking to upgrade to a "real" kit after many years on a starter 5 piece Tama kit. I'm thinking about a slightly bigger kit than is in vogue right now, like a 3 up, 2 down type setup. Looking on Sweetwater (for example) I see full kits in common setups, like 4 and 5 pieces. I also see...
  15. Mastiff

Double bass lost in mix

Yeah, I'm definitely working on it. My balance is pretty good when going steady, and I don't generally bury the beater, but more complex patterns sometimes push me into bad form. Recording myself has been great for helping me focus on problems I might have not noticed, or swept under the rug...
  16. Mastiff

Double bass lost in mix

Interesting. I'm using coated EMAD too. I guess it makes sense the clear would have a little more attack. One thing I've noticed is that with all this effort to bring out the attack, when I solo the bass drum I can hear every little tap against the head. When doing something challenging, I...
  17. Mastiff

Double bass lost in mix

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I do have a pillow in there, but I will experiment more along those lines and see what I can do. I have also been experimenting quite a bit with compression, gating and eq, but there's always more to try. Automations for the bass was on my mind too, so I'll add...
  18. Mastiff

Double bass lost in mix

I'm still new to double bass, but getting better... I'm working on a recording with a single pedal part at the beginning and then at the end a double bass part, fast for me at 180 bpm (actually 32nds at 90bpm). What I notice is that at the beginning of the song, in the single bass parts, the...
  19. Mastiff

Treating ceiling in recording space

I have a small recording space, something like 10x10' with a 7.5' ceiling. I have some denim insulation on the walls and stacked in the corners to deaden the room a bit. The ceiling is untreated. I've heard of people hanging absorbent materials down from the ceiling, and indeed the ceiling is...
  20. Mastiff

Compressor as quasi-trigger for bass?

Didn't mean to offend. I put cheat in quotes for a reason. It's cheating in the sense that you can be sloppy in dynamics and get a pass. For timing, just hit the button and align everything to the grid. ;)