Search results

1. eclipseownzu

CoronaVirus

"Now, can someone please tell me why this flu virus has people and media outlets spreading fear? My first hunch was US stock market manipulation by foreign nationals." "In all seriousness the whole thing is something I'm monitoring daily, news wise." Two posts right next to each other that...
  2. eclipseownzu

What are your favorite albums?

I tend to have a favorite album from various periods of my life. 80's - Master of Puppets 90's - Badmotorfinger 00's - Lateralus 10's - Koi No Yokan (Deftones) A few more thrown in there, but that's a pretty good representation of who I was at those stages.
  3. eclipseownzu

Name a band(s) and the song that made them the most money

I don't think we can always assume that chart rankings = $. There are so many factors such as the bands publishing deal, who wrote the songs, future licensing deals, any probably many more factors that we don't even know about. One example is the song "accidently in love" by Counting Crows...
  4. eclipseownzu

How much thought do you put into what you wear at a gig?

As much thought as I put into what I wear in the morning. Im usually on stage in whatever pair of pants/band shirt I had on that day.
  5. eclipseownzu

How many pedals have you owned?

I would guess 20+ over the years. You name it and I have probably had it in my setup at some point. I would usually keep 1 single and 1 double pedal, buying and selling always looking for the holy grail. Much like Matt I found that I was trying to make every pedal feel like my old DW 5000, so...
  6. eclipseownzu

Food Before the Gig

Seems like we always end up at a pizza or burger joint somewhere near the club. I have played after eating crappy food, good food, no food, beer, you name it, and it really seems to make no difference. Im not playing 3 hour sets, but for the 30-45 min we play it really seems not to matter.
  7. eclipseownzu

Big Fat Snare Drum

Wow, hello zombie thread. I actually have seen guys use them in the last couple years with varying degrees of success. I have found that they will kill the projection a bit so playing in a loud rock band in a small club they would not be optimal.
  8. eclipseownzu

Backing tracks...

My girlfriend listens to modern pop and country and goes to a fair amount of shows to see those types of bands. When I take her to see a band I like, usually hard rock bands, where its actually just the guys on stage playing their instruments she always complains that the sound is bad. She would...
  9. eclipseownzu

What kind of music do you traditionally play?

Rock n Roll. In all of the various forms it takes.
  10. eclipseownzu

How to get that sound

South of Heaven and Seasons were both mixed by Andy Wallace. Andy has some really cool methods of mixing snare drums that involve samples and white noise. My guess is on the studio albums there was a fair bit of studio magic happening. As for the live, drum cam stuff, my guess is he is using a...
  11. eclipseownzu

Two piece (a la White Stripes, Black Keys)

I would say to just make the drums sound like drums. Meg White doesnt do anything special as far as drum tones, Jack just takes up so much space she doesnt need to. My only two piece was a Motorhead sounding thing with really mid-range heavy Marshall stacks. My only real concern was to get the...
  12. eclipseownzu

Cutting down cymbals

I have a few of 18" crashes with cracks along the outer edge (yes I am hard on cymbals). I have been thinking about cutting them down and seeing if I can make a decent set of 16" hi-hats. These are all pro-level (AAX, HHX, A Custom) so maybe worth trying to get some life out of them. Anybody...
  13. eclipseownzu

bell

What is the bell the drummer is hitting in this video? I want one! (Watch around the 1:00 mark) https://youtu.be/2b9vKiYJ3V0
  14. eclipseownzu

Which DAW

To my audiophile friends, I have a question regarding DAWs. My basement band is looking to record some stuff in the basement and have it professionally mixed. I am fairly adept at getting my drums to sound good with my current pro-tools version, but I will need more channels and more...
  15. eclipseownzu

Big Fat Snare Drum

Did a quick search and didn't see anything on these, but I am definitely interested. I have heard that putting another head on your snare helps fatten up the sound. Is this just a more expensive version of that? Does buying a thicker snare batter have the same effect. I have always just used...
  16. eclipseownzu

Off center hole in cymbal

I have a Sabian Metal Crash that I use on my practice kit. Since I bought it I have had an issue where it wont stay at the height I set it. I thought it was the stand, but it turns out the hole isn't cut dead center in the cymbal. I cant tell you how many times i have gone to hit it and just...
  17. eclipseownzu

Why dont they ever shut up anymore?

I have always been a fan of heavy, guitar driven music and now my daughter is listening to music that falls into that category. I couldn't be prouder, or so I thought. The other day she had me listen to a new song by her favorite band, and like any old guy listening to new music I was very...
  18. eclipseownzu

Double bass hi-hat issues

I just picked up a double bass drum kit last week and I am having hi-hat issues. A decade or so ago when I played a double bass kit as my primary set I had a rack and remote hat pedal. Being as how this kit is a bit of an experiment, I don't want to invest in a rack. I have a DW 5000 hi hat...
  19. eclipseownzu

2014 - Year of the drummer

Pretty funny article. Worth the quick read. http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/2014-is-totally-the-year-of-drummers/
  20. eclipseownzu

What exactly do I have here?

I picked these three toms up as part of a large purchase from a studio going out of business. I basically got them for free, but they are absolutely not something I would use and I hate to have them sitting in my basement. My question is, are they worth anything. I would put them on CL or ebay...