Search results

1. K.Howden

A lil' drum 'n bass/dubstep

Filmed a video today with my rock band, in the process I loosened off the batter heads completely and used smaller cymbals under the ride and crash to mute them as much as possible. The effect of this was a very punchy staccato, almost sampled; so I fooled around and tried to release some of my...
  2. K.Howden

A song that I recorded six years ago.

I was reminiscing about my old band this week and got sent a recording we did in 2010. I was pleasantly surprised, not the tightest I've ever played but it was nice to hear after all these years. The drums are me and the vocal harmonies (the male ones at least) were also arranged and tracked...
  3. K.Howden

The last cymbal you've bought

The last cymbal I bought was a really early Christmas present to myself; a Zildjian 20" Oriental Crash of Doom. The story behind this one is a lesson in not judging with your eyes. I remember seeing the cymbal when it was first introduced and thinking it was a total gimmick..."why would anyone...
  4. K.Howden

Newer Sabian Max Splashes (since re-labelling)

Hey, how is everyone? I received a Sabian 7" AAX Max Splash for Christmas this year to replace the one I had stolen earlier in the year (comradeship between drummers eh?...he says sarcastically). The first one I owned as purchased new whilst they were still under the "Signature" label. Is it...
  5. K.Howden

Tony Inzalaco

Hello, how are we all? I was browsing Youtube and happened across this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GU0oAYJ2Q8 I'd never heard of him before now but absolutley love his playing and feel. Is there anyone here who can give me a list of some reccomend recordings? as I'd love to hear...
  6. K.Howden

Blown away by Dream cymbals again!

Dream Bliss 14" hi-hat, first impressions I bought a 20" Dream Bliss ride a little over a year ago, took a while to find one that "spoke" to me but it's become my work-horse ride over the past year. This weekend I picked up a pair of 14" Bliss hi-hats and they're the nicest hats I've ever...
  7. K.Howden

The Treehouse (my band) live

Hey guys, this is my first post in the 'your playing' section so I'm a tad nervous! (as I was when I played, the first gig of the year n'all) I got sent some footage of a gig I played Tuesday night at 'The Malt Cross' in Nottingham and thought I'd share it with you (drumming starts at 1:02)...
  8. K.Howden

Coated Ambassadors drier recently? - UK

Hey there, how are we all? I've been using the Remo Fiberskyn III in Ambassador weight for nai on a year now and just for a change decided to put on a regular Coated Ambassador. Over the years I've found the spot that I like to tune to and I always tune my snare in this way, a medium-tight...
  9. K.Howden

Slurred Rolls?

Hi guys, how are we all? I've been using this pattern for a while now: R l l r r L r r l l and was asked what it was called a couple a days ago buy a drummer and couldn't actually think of a name to describe other than "it's a five stroke roll all in sixteeths rather than an eight for the first...
  10. K.Howden

Bolshoi Symphony Orchestra - UK touring personell

Hey guys, I went to see the Bolshoi perform on Wednesday night in Derby and needless to say was blown away by their peformance! I forgot to pick up a programme and have been trying to find a list of their current personell on the tour (percussionists in particular), tried google but to no avail...
  11. K.Howden

Just a little something I'm working on

My friend is moving to New York in March to start a job at the Museum of Natural History and I've decided to write her a song. I've tried to capture that feeling of wonderment and excitment at being in a new place but also convey the heavy hearted feeling of being away from the people you love...
  12. K.Howden

Luke Flowers

Hi gang, how are we all? A friend posted me a link on facebook last week of a song called "Flite" by an English band called ' The Cinematic Orchestra": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t7mqUN6NU8 I was enjoying the track anyway but when the groove at 1:36 broke in I was floored! I've never...
  13. K.Howden

A song I want to share with you all

An old favourite I was listening to earlier after rooting through my record collection here's a link to it on the net: http://youtu.be/y5qftZNwsis The track is entitled "Frau Wav" by Chris Clark and it's from the superb album "Body Riddle". It's a track that makes for quite interesting mix of...
  14. K.Howden

Overlooking the practical use of rudiments

I'm not sure if this just comes with living in a small city in a rural county that some could claim is quite "backwards looking" but I've had some interesting conversations with other drummers locally over the past year and something that has come up regards rudiments other than the...
  15. K.Howden

Modding a China Cymbal

This is a bit of a wierd one...but bear with me. I've got an old Sabian 20" XS20 China that I haven't used in years, it's sitting there gathering dust. I don't want to sell it as I can't bear to part with any musical instrument I've bought but I have thought about modifying it. I've heard of...
  16. K.Howden

Something to help the left hand

Obviously practicing rudiments and grooves etc leading off your left always helps but I've found something that's dramtically increasing the strength and dexterity in my left hand and that's learning Guitar! I've started learning Tenor Guitar (as my hands can't cope with six-strings) and...
  17. K.Howden

Studio annoyance; venting! proceed with caution!

I don't usually vent on the forum but this has really got my goat! I've been recording for the past couple of weeks with my band, and it's mostly been a great experience...up until now... The dry signals that we've recorded in for the drums sound great and I was happy with the purley un-mixed...
  18. K.Howden

Something that annoys me from a sound-guy's perspective

Hey all, I've recently started doing sound at some gigs I've been a part of and one thing has come to light that really grates! Drummers (usually the younger one's) feeling the need to bust out every chop they know when you ask them to sound-check the kit...I sometimes get the feeling that...
  19. K.Howden

An odd but uplifting experience

Hey there, I've noticed something that happens to me almost everytime I'm practicing on the pad with a metronome and I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this? For some reason after a few minutes of sticking on the same excercise I drop into this very peaceful...almost trance like state...
  20. K.Howden

Just something I wanna double check...

Hi folks, how are we all? I'm going into the studio tommoro to lay down some drum parts and I just want to double check something about the snare sound in studio. I was planning on tuning it much the same as I would live, full-bodied, lot's of crack and importantly no dampening with ring...