Search results

1. Roscoe Joe

Ride bell advice

I don't need a massive bell, just something a little bigger. I, too, often play with my eyes shut. It's just that when I use the bell for accents, particularly on faster pieces, I either hit the felt or just off the edge of the bell, even with eyes open. In my situation I don't get to play or...
  2. Roscoe Joe

Long-term cymbal storage

Tried that & they look worse.
  3. Roscoe Joe

B20 or bust

Been playing for decades yet only recently learnt about B8, B20, etc... It's not too much of a big deal with me just so long as I like the sound. Been eyeing off some B8 splash hats by Rech as that's the only option for that size that I can find.
  4. Roscoe Joe

Ride bell advice

Anyone recommend a medium/thin or thin ride with a largish bell? My aim on the bell ain't that great due to my poor vision.
  5. Roscoe Joe

Long-term cymbal storage

I've had cymbals stored in a hardcase for years without issue. But I've also had a new cymbal stored for a short time (not in same case) and got discoloration on the underside. My guess is that was due do the dividers used (though I could be wrong).
  6. Roscoe Joe

Is this a vintage white label giant beat?

Yeah, polishing does take logos off. Found that out the hard way.
  7. Roscoe Joe

No More Zildjians

I've been using Ziljians (crash & ride) & Paiste hats (came with my first kit) for decades but just recently finally in a position to discover other brands. Now using Bosphorus & they're great.
  8. Roscoe Joe

Soultone Vintage Old School 1964

They're just a bit too heavy for my style of playing and they just don't sound quite right for my liking. Just personal taste.
  9. Roscoe Joe

I recently got a set of ColorSounds as a sort of novelty but not terribly keen on them, certainly not for jazz.
  10. Roscoe Joe

Yeah, I like to try before I buy. It's how I got onto Bosphorus. I've used Zildjian crashes & rides & Paiste 2002 hats for decades as they were my first (2nd hand). I've only now gotten into a position where I can start exploring other brands.
  11. Roscoe Joe

Some of the brands mentioned I've never heard of & I'm kind of limited as I live in Australia. I looked at Dream, for example, but they don't have a distributor here. Even Soultone I have to buy through Amazon, so can't try before I buy. Fortunately, there is a distributor for Bosphorus here, so...
  12. Roscoe Joe

Thanks for that. I've been starting to explore Bosphorus, so I appreciate the input.
  13. Roscoe Joe

I'm interested in '50's/'60's jazz. What are your thoughts on Soultone Vintage Old School 1964? Also intetested in other brand series for the style.
  14. Roscoe Joe

Small Crashes Anyone?

Right now I'm using a 14", 16" (Traditional) & 18" (New Orleans) Bosphorus crashes. After years of 14" & 16" Zildjians & now using the Bisphorus's I find I'm not using the 14" anywhere near as much. I, too, only play in church on Sundays.
  15. Roscoe Joe

Not Seen Before

Thanks. That makes sense. They're being sold with a Sonor kit.
  16. Roscoe Joe

Not Seen Before

Hi all. Been browsing the Fb marketplace and came across these being sold with a drumkit. Can't quite make out the brand so does anyone know anything about these? Thanks.
  17. Roscoe Joe

Paiste Jazz Rock Ride Value

Thanks for the info. A clean & restamp. Had a guy give it a polish as it had some unsightly marks but it now looks worse. The cymbal itself is in good condition. It's one of a stack of cymbals getting the treatment. Right now having to send them to the US as there doesn't seem to be anyone here...
  18. Roscoe Joe

Paiste Jazz Rock Ride Value

Hi gang, I've got an old 20" Paiste 2002 Jazz Rock Ride which I'm planning on shipping for some restoration but I can't seem to find a value for insurance. Anyone got any idea how much they'd be worth these days? Thanks
  19. Roscoe Joe

Zildjin K Constantinople Ride Types

Interesting. Thanks.
  20. Roscoe Joe

Zildjin K Constantinople Ride Types

Just been looking through the latest Zildjian catalogue and in the K Con list they have "Medium Thin Ride, High" and "Medium Thin Ride, Low". So the question is: What's the difference between "High" and "Low" ride cymbals?