Search results

1. cdrums21

How OCD are you about your set up?

I think you can tell a lot about a drummer by the way his/her set up looks. I’m OCD in a lot of areas about my kit. I have to have the logos on the heads lined up with the grommet hole/badge and have them facing directly away from me, 12:00 position on the toms when I look at them. I used a...
  2. cdrums21

What are the materials and/or layout of your favorite sounding room to play in?

There was a club I played extensively a few years back that had the best sounding room for drums, at least for what I like to hear. It was a pretty large room, seating for about 600 people with about 12 foot tile ceilings. There was a stage and it was carpeted, but there was a very large dance...
  3. cdrums21

So what’s your drumming story (your career and experiences to date)?

I thought it would be interesting to see what type of experiences and drumming “careers” people have had and currently enjoy. Kinda get to know the posters on here a little more in depth drumming wise. For me, I started playing as a self taught drummer in central Pennsylvania when I was 17 in...
  4. cdrums21

Show us a drum you “tricked out” or modified from stock

I don’t have anything special to show. I changed the strainer on my black beauty from a P85 to a P88AC. Also installed DW true hoops top and bottom and new Ludwig 20 strand snare wires attached with grosgrain ribbon. Something about the Ludwig snare wires just sounds right on Ludwig snares...
  5. cdrums21

What ultimately made you decide on the brand of drums you play?

With so many great looking and sounding kits from great companies out there, what is it that draws you to a particular brand? Is it the lug style? An endorser? Historical reputation? New kid on the block? Sound and aesthetics? What makes you say “ I’m a ______ guy”? I’m curious to know.
  6. cdrums21

If I had $1000 (or the equivalent) to spend on drum gear, I would buy..........

I know what I'd buy, the Porter & Davies gigster. I'm super happy with my kit, snares and cymbals. I don't have the ability to rehearse at home due to my home owners association and neighbors frowning upon me playing drums in my garage. So, I rent a small studio space in Atlanta, but the...
  7. cdrums21

Favorite piece of gear that's not a drum or cymbal.

Do you have a favorite something in your official list of gear that isn't a drum or cymbal? A microphone maybe? Tactile monitoring system? Sadly, I have nothing to contribute, just curious as to what you guys have that you really like.
  8. cdrums21

Why no Motown drummers on Drummerworld?

I see no mention of any of the Motown great "Funk brothers" drummers here on Drummerworld. Benny Benjamin, Uriel Jones and Richard "Pistol" Allen. They were responsible for some of the greatest music from the 60's and 70's that came out of Detroit, USA, and arguably are just as notable as Hal...
  9. cdrums21

Share your clever drum hacks

I think this is the correct forum for this topic...... Many of us have developed some clever drum “hacks” to make life easier for us drummers. Please feel free to share something you do that makes your life as a drummer setting up equipment, etc. easier. Here’s one to start the ball rolling...
  10. cdrums21

Ear fatigue and drum head change

I’m on a roll today so I thought I’d post one more topic. 😁 So now that I’m a bit older, I definitely notice a little bit of hearing loss. My fault totally, never wore ear protection and rocked out for many, many years. I noticed it when I was in my heyday as well, but that was mostly right...
  11. cdrums21

Does your drum's sweet spot change from room to room?

I know there are lots of guys/gals who "tune to the room" and subsequently, change the tuning of their drums accordingly. In my case, I don't really notice a huge change for the better in the sound of my toms, for instance, if I change them from where they sound good and have a full, balanced...
  12. cdrums21

Sound and feel difference between Remo CS reverse dot and Evans power center reverse dot heads?

I have been of the mind set lately to try out several different snare drum heads on my 6.5 x 14 Black beauty snare drum, just for grins and see if maybe something would surprise me. I have read that people recommend Remo CS reverse dot and Evans PC reverse dot heads for this drum. For the life...
  13. cdrums21

Another alternative for a drum riser...

Have you guys ever seen a portable blow up bed from places like Cebalas and other outdoor camping stores? The reason I say this is they have bed frames that fold up like an accordion and pack up into a travel bag. Super light weight aluminum and supports 500 lbs. I used one for a riser for a...
  14. cdrums21

16" and 18" floor tom interval observation

For those of us who are playing 16" and 18" floor toms......I don't see much, if any, information about this on line anywhere, so I thought I'd post some thoughts/observations about tuning these two floor toms together. As everyone knows, drum tuning is subjective and not everyone likes the same...
  15. cdrums21

What drumming advice would you give to a younger you?

I have been playing drums for going on 46 years now. I have had a fruitful drumming career, both live and recording, and have many awesome memories and experiences over that time period. Having been less involved in playing drums over the past year or so, I've had some time to ponder what, if...
  16. cdrums21

Just when you think.......

So as some of you know, I am a bit of a tuning nerd. I'm probably WAY to anal about tuning and spend a lot of time tweaking my kit to get that perfect drum sound. I recently purchased a new Ludwig classic maple kit with 16" and 18" floor toms and was having trouble deciding exactly how I wanted...
  17. cdrums21

Question for 24" x 14" kick drum owners.

Hey everyone, So I recently purchased a Ludwig classic maple kit with a 24" x 14" kick drum. Before that I had a DW 22" x 18" kick drum. With the DW kick, it was very easy to tune and sounded punchy with nice low end. In fact, any 22" drum I have ever owned (Yamaha, Ludwig, DW) has always been...
  18. cdrums21

Interval between 16" and 18" floor tom

Mistake, error on my part.
  19. cdrums21

My Q kit

My Q drum kit at a recent gig. Best sounding kit I ever owned. 24x14, 13x9, 16x16, 16x18. mahogany, poplar, mahogany shells.
  20. cdrums21

Do you think the integrity of music is decaying over time, much like morality?

It seems that each generation complains that music isn't what it used to be and that it's pretty much crap now. Just as moral decay is evident in society, do you think the same thing has happened to music? Not just lyrics or vocal stylings, but the actual music. If so, do you think there is a...