Search results

1. Swissward Flamtacles

What do YOU consider "new"??

Same here - I wouldn't call a car used because two other potential customers had a test drive with it. Constantly readjusting the descripition would be asking too much from stores. Also, everybody would try to start bargaining once it's "lightly used" which would demotivate stores from letting...
  2. Swissward Flamtacles

The Mars Volta’s $479, 18-LP Box Set Sold Out in Less Than 24 Hours

Yeah, I would think there's a nice margin in it and I understand that they do it. If you just want Frances and De-Loused, you'll play $400 on discogs (they actually sell for these prices), so getting everything at $25 per record and the box and all that seems interesting to those fans. And...
  3. Swissward Flamtacles

The Mars Volta’s $479, 18-LP Box Set Sold Out in Less Than 24 Hours

This doesn't surprise me at all. Record collectors buy limited editions and Record Store Day specials all the time. Mars Volta is not an obscure band that only attracts a small crowd of broke Punks. Cedric and Omar have been around since the mid 90s. Even a repress of De-Loused sells for about...
  4. Swissward Flamtacles

Drummers who have changed brand affiliation the most??

I'm not a fan of the format but I think that some valid points are adressed: don't believe blindly that you get a lot out of signing a contract with a company. Find out if it's actually worth it first and be aware that not all contracts are equally good. mikyok gave an example of a decent...
  5. Swissward Flamtacles

Yes, and those contracts are a reality for some drummers. They consider it an endorsement. I don't want to judge these contracts or know if it's a bit shady when a company calls it "endorsement" or "sponsoring" or something else. In the end, the video is about whether you should accept these...
  6. Swissward Flamtacles

Well, I'm certainly no business expert but "sponsoring" seems to be used at least in a similar way in some fields. I would guess it's used here to differentiate from what drummers think of when they hear "endorsement", so that they think about if those contracts are a good deal for them...
  7. Swissward Flamtacles

"Sponsoring" is a pretty good name for some contracts. You get a discount on buying their products and maybe some support on social media. The company might keep an eye on your profiles - if they never see you playing their cymbals, they might not be too happy. If you want to stick with a given...
  8. Swissward Flamtacles

So to summarize we have these factors: money, product quality, relations with employees, infrastructure / distributors in other countries, the chance to do clincics and design their own drums. I don't care if a drummer switches brands often (Danny Gottlieb comes to mind - Premier, Ludwig...
  9. Swissward Flamtacles

Heads for Ludwig Supraphonic

I would probably not go for an extremely muffled head (Hydraulics, HD Dry) since your snare is rather shallow and already a bit dry. How about the Genera Dry (1 ply with a ring and those small holes) as a compromise? I don't play Metal though and have never used something like Hydraulics with a...
  10. Swissward Flamtacles

Marco Polo Snare Drum? Gretsch?

I would think so, too - you could have a look here: https://www.drumforum.org/threads/show-me-your-vintage-mij-stencil.139517/ You might find something similiar there to narrow it down. If not, then a picture of the inside of the shell might help.
  11. Swissward Flamtacles

JD BECK (15 years old phenomenon from Dallas)

I generally like the content @Keepgrooving shares here. If he's a PR bot (I'm sure he's not), he represents some serious underground artists. This is not my favorite type of music but who cares? It's definitely a bunch of stuff I couldn't play. :D
  12. Swissward Flamtacles

Rivets on left 20" or right 22"?

Ohh, that's a lovely sounding Ride (based on the two copies I've been able to try). Why not use that one? I think a chain is still a good indicator - not the same as rivets but you get an idea how the cymbal responds. If you want to find out how the chain differs from real rivets, put some tape...
  13. Swissward Flamtacles

Rivets on left 20" or right 22"?

Get a light metal chain from the hardware store (or your kitchen sink) and experiment. :) Do you mean expensive when you say that neither one is "good"? If they sound equally good, then install rivets to the less valuable one. Or just keep using the metal chain.
  14. Swissward Flamtacles

My favorite sticks

Maybe this tool on the thomann page is useful to you: the wood picker. https://www.thomann.de/gb/woodpicker.html
  15. Swissward Flamtacles

Hello All! Thanks for adding me

Welcome! Somehow I can't see any pictures.. maybe my browser wants to protect me from even more GAS. :)
  16. Swissward Flamtacles

My favorite sticks

Have you tried the Promark Elvin Jones model yet? The Regal Tip sticks I've tried had a pretty thick lacquer, though and the Promarks don't have that..
  17. Swissward Flamtacles

Drum truths that defy science, gravity or explanation..................

If you can clearly hear the bassist at the sound check, you won't hear anything once it's stage time. When I drop a stick it always rolls under the bass drum or teleports to some remote place in a different time zone. During a drum solo everybody speeds up but me (it can't possibly be that I'm...
  18. Swissward Flamtacles

Thank You Drummer World!

Yeah, I do that and grinding my gears is exaggerated - I'm just not a fan of click-bait titles in general and there are so many on the internet. Like "You must know these 5 tips or your life will be miserable" or "You've got see this if you think you know anything about tuning" - cut to the...
  19. Swissward Flamtacles

What key is the Nat'l Anthem in? All of them!

The whole comment section is great to be honest. "At least they can't blame this on Antifa" - "Oh, she is part of that, though. She's Anti-Do, Anti-Re, Anti-Mi and Anti-Fa"
  20. Swissward Flamtacles

Thank You Drummer World!

I actually prefer it when threads get resurrected - keeping all relevant information in one place (whether it's about fast ride cymbal playing, maintaining pedals, the best steambent maple snare for Country or what have you) is better than having 10 similar threads. If the OP's gone, then it...