Search results

1. evolving_machine

Removing Cymbal coating, what results?

I have that cymbal and used as acetone to remove the coating. It takes some work though, you have to keep at it.
  2. evolving_machine

Learning to play well on a cheap drum kit

Glad you agree and I was finally able to make my point. . Now, I have a question for all of you. Because of Covid-19 I am not able to get to the barber and my beard is approaching Billy Gibbons length. What kind of face mask does Billy Gibbons wear?
  3. evolving_machine

I placed new heads on the kit and got a decent tone from the kit, and the hardware was in good repair. I would like correct my earlier post though. It is a CB kit, not C and C. But, I think I can explain this more. The way you hit the drum makes its sound. So I would pay a lot of attention to...
  4. evolving_machine

The ride Joe Morello used on Take Five

You can hear the difference in the new cymbal just when he is handling it when he knocks it a few times. The Zildjians of the late 50's and early 60's are also not as visibly flexible. They havea stiffness and hardness that the new does not. I also suspect that the new Zildjian has that horrible...
  5. evolving_machine

Who Are The Worst Drummers That Are Good In Spite Of How Lousy They Are?

All three, Elvin, Rich and Bellson were a lot more diverse then just the work with Miles, Elvin, or doing drum solos on the tonight show, Rich, or working with Duke Ellington, Bellson. I do suggest a brief tour of those three drummers accomplishments before writing them off. Who knows, you may...
  6. evolving_machine

Actually I think drummers like Rich, Bellson and Elvin could do the work in Rush.
  7. evolving_machine

18 inch bass drum, why bother?

My first bass drum was a 20", then went to a 22", and it was a world of difference. But the 18" with the riser is very good, I wonder how a riser on a 20" would be.
  8. evolving_machine

To me I like his stuff (Peart), but he was limited. A lot of what he did was very narrow. 2008 This version is better then the 1991 version. And again 1991
  9. evolving_machine

18 inch bass drum, why bother?

I like the 18", but I am not sure if I saw anyone was saying they were using the drum riser to allow the beater a full stroke to the middle of the drum head. I use an emad batter and the resonant head is very loose.
  10. evolving_machine

Louie Bellson (above) Neal Peart (above) Neal seems to be playing Cottontail like a rock song.
  11. evolving_machine

Gretsch Catalina

I bought a Catalina Jazz kit in 2008. I still use that kit. I checked out those drums in a Sam Ash music store in New Jersey. But they told me that they replaced the stock heads. That kit with the replacement heads sounded good. When I checked out the same kit in another store, they left the...
  12. evolving_machine

I've been playing for a long time. What I have changed is more fundamental than just the ergonomics. I am hitting the drums with more precision and drawing the best possible sound from the drums. Because I was playing on the cheaper kit, I controlled my playing and it sounded better. I've read...
  13. evolving_machine

Smooth, that is interesing, I thought the conga originated from cuba. Were the heads originally fish skin? This kit I leave at the practice house is a compromised setup as well. The 13" tom even with the legs fully extended is a bit low. I don't like peddle I leave there, but do not want to...
  14. evolving_machine

For the past year and a half I have been playing in a band where I leave a drum kit that was given to me at the rehearsal house. The kit is a C and C 22" x 14 or 16 bass drum, a 12" overhead tom and a 13" that I installed floor legs to. The original snare broke so I bought a very cheap eight lug...
  15. evolving_machine

My favorite sticks

First favorite stick was Regal Tip Jake Hanna, then went to 5a xt, now doing Elvin Jones for band and gigs, and 5a xt for practice, still use marching sticks on the pads.
  16. evolving_machine

Isolation Headphones for practice, gigs

In another thread Bermuda recommended to me the GK ultra phones maybe Dec 2018 or Jan 2019. They're very good because I can reduce the volume going into the headset because their isolation is so good.
  17. evolving_machine

New Yamaha light weight hardware

Hey Fl.tom, thank you that is very useful. I was thinking of adding another spring outside the stand running from the pedal to the base mount. But your solution is better.
  18. evolving_machine

New Yamaha light weight hardware

I just purchased this hardware kit. I got tired of carrying the heavy hardware and needed a change. The bag is light and compact. Each piece of aluminum hardware has its own smaller bag, so the pieces do not bang into each other. The bag is big enough for the throne base and floor tom legs. I...
  19. evolving_machine

quality of drum sounds to the rest of the band is not important

I am in a band and we practice at a volume that is just a little louder than speaking volume. As a matter of fact (side note), I had the PA controls near me, and the guitar player asked me to lower the volume on my mic. I lowered it gradually, until it was off. He then said it was a perfect...
  20. evolving_machine

Space Aliens at the local bar

I've been playing with a new band for the past few months. We now have almost enough original and cover tunes to do three sets. We're looking for some places to play. Tonight I went to a bar to scout out an open mic for the band to play at. I have not seen anything like this before. They had a...