Search results

1. R

Ice drumming

Looks way cold but sounds way nice. http://mentalfloss.com/article/73789/ice-drumming-has-surprisingly-unique-and-pleasant-sound
  2. R

human drummers and fractals

An interesting study: What differentiates human drummers from machines? Fractals. The imperfections that human drummers make are not random. Rather they form a fractal pattern that is pleasing to the listener. Of course, they were studying Jeff Porcaro. Good choice.
  3. R

Drum Fill Friday quiz

Anyone seen or tried these quizzes from NPR? I just discovered them today. Tried today's quiz, did horribly, just 1 out of 5. Last week's was much easier, scored 4 out of 5.
  4. R

Dangerous Illusions

You all have probably seen the ads for this novel, Dangerous Illusions, all over various drumming websites. I finally succumbed. I can't say as I would recommend it for the plot or character development, but it is kind of fun to read for the various references to rhythm and drumming and the...
  5. R

DrumPants

Just came across this. DrumPants. I think that there are other things somewhat like it, but this seems pretty cool and well executed. By the way, I'm not in any way affiliated (though I did just contribute to their Kickstarter campaign).
  6. R

Wikidrummers

Saw this clip from wikidrummers, thought it way cool. Didn't see any previous threads or posts about it.
  7. R

Paul Simon and Sting

Anyone know who will be drumming on this upcoming Paul Simon & Sting (on stage together) tour? We gonna get Gadd and Colaiuta?
  8. R

Happiness is ...

... a 5-year-old boy with his first drum kit. That's my youngest. He has 2 older brothers who play guitar and keyboard, and ever since he could talk he has identified himself as the drummer in the family. Just got his first kit for Christmas. He's one happy little dude.
  9. R

Daniel Glass Century Project

Anyone else yet watched Daniel Glass's Century Project DVD? I just got it last week and watched the first DVD on a flight. Personally, I think it's brilliant, and I can't wait to watch the second DVD. I'm a beginning drummer, and besides learning how to play, I'm also trying to learn as much...
  10. R

Mangini at 247Drums in Boston

For those of you in the Boston area, if you haven't seen this already, thought you might be interested... Mike Mangini will be at 247Drums next Saturday, September 29, 2-4pm for the grand opening of the store's new showroom. There's information in the Facebook page, and I've attached the press...
  11. R

practicing rhythms while walking

My instructor was telling me that when he was a student (at Berklee), while walking from place to place he would practice rhythms that he was trying to learn. So I've started doing that. What I do is either count or sing the rhythms using my walking gait as the metronome. I think it's been...
  12. R

drum kit side car

Looks fun http://gizmodo.com/5919241/can-you-really-bang-out-a-wicked-drum-solo-at-65-mph (sorry if this is old)
  13. R

DW rack-tom mount

Hi everyone: I just received a DW Performance Series kit, and this being my first kit and all, my instructor is going to help me with setup, but since he's currently away on vacation, I'm getting started on my own. So this is a newbie setup question. The kit came with a rack-tom mount that...
  14. R

Jammit

I came across this website and app, Jammit, and was a bit surprised that a search on these forums turned up nothing. It's play-alongs that use the original master recordings. Looks pretty cool to me. Is anyone here using it? Liking it? Not so much?
  15. R

Pad surface friction

There's a ton of discussion on these forums about the differences in the amount of rebound among practice pads and a snare drum or even among e-kits and a-kits, but the big issue for me seems to be in the surface friction and what it does to the stick's trajectory as it rebounds. (Caveat me...
  16. R

Practice Mirror

The benefits of practicing with a mirror are clear and extensively discussed in other threads, so I'm curious how you all incorporate a mirror into your practice space. Probably the best solution is having large mirrors mounted directly on the walls, but lots of us practice in rooms where...