Search results

1. drumdevil9

Strange tom phenomenon

I recently got a vintage 70's Pearl wood-fiberglass kit 12-13-16-22. It sounds great but there's this weird thing with the toms. It has the old hex-rod holders. When both toms are on the mounts they sound great. The 12 has nice tone, fundamental rings out. When I remove the 13 the 12 goes dead...
  2. drumdevil9

Made X-hat out of spare parts

I wanted an x-hat for a duo gig where I'm forced to play standing (bandstand is tiny) but didn't want to buy one for a gig I may only do once or twice next year. Time to rummage the junk box! I have a couple of old Gibraltar stackers that I don't use one of which became the basis for the x-hat...
  3. drumdevil9

Ludwig P88AC Dilemma

The other day I bought the new P88AC strainer for my '79ish LM400 Supra. I was excited to install it but was disappointed to discover that the holes in my snare are too small for the mounting screws. I have a newer LM400 that I acquired with a drum kit that I plan on selling and of course it...
  4. drumdevil9

Keeping Things Light

A lot of us want to keep our gigging gear as light as possible because, you know, we have to carry it ourselves. I often get to the gig first which means I have to bring in my stuff by myself unlike the old days where it was a team effort out of a van. Although that sucked too but anyway...
  5. drumdevil9

A whole set

If you're on Facebook here's a whole set of me playing a pub gig a couple of months ago. I just thought it would be fun to go live. Enjoy, hopefully. https://www.facebook.com/ericouellet9/videos/10156882393564829/?__nodl
  6. drumdevil9

Got a used Brooklyn bop kit

Went a bit nuts and bought a used Gretsch Brooklyn bop kit in grey oyster. Private sale. It's in immaculate condition and looks stunning. Also came with a Ludwig LM400 Monroe keystone badge. Looks fairly recent. I already have a Supra in that size so I may sell it. Gonna gig with these puppies...
  7. drumdevil9

My Zildjian Low Volume Cymbals Demo

I just bought the Zildjian L80 cymbals and thought I'd shoot a short video demo. The "if you're not interested in drum stuff" comment is because I also put it on Facebook. Obviously you guys are interested in drum stuff. These cymbals are awesome and are a godsend to us apartment dwellers...
  8. drumdevil9

Need help: Is this a real Supra?

Is this legit? Something seems too good to be true. Seems to have 8 lugs??? http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?requestSource=b&adId=1160270006 Thanks.
  9. drumdevil9

Drum Xmas Trees

Anyone else do this? Post your drum tree pics!
  10. drumdevil9

Ludwig finally design new throw-off

https://www.facebook.com/ludwig.drum.company/posts/10153693341343529 So you can replace your dreaded p-85. I would imagine that this throw will become the standard on at least some new snares.
  11. drumdevil9

Flat-base hi-hats...meh

I really like flat base stands, especially cymbal stands. Wanting to keep a consistent look, I bought a flat-base Gibraltar hi-hat (used) a few months back. It works fine and is light enough but the action is a little stiff and the design is just a bit weird. I've come to the conclusion that...
  12. drumdevil9

Ludwig Club Date NOT discontinued

Not yet anyway. This week on Facebook, Ludwig posted a bunch of pics of the Club Date SE and wrote, "see your local dealer". I went to a shop today to pick up a head and they confirmed it, having just put in a bunch of orders. Rejoice! Not that I need any more but thought I would share the good...
  13. drumdevil9

Roland FD-8 hi-hat controller volume fix

I thought I would share this fix for the FD-8. It is notorious for having a very low volume chick/splash sound. They may have since fixed the issue but the older ones are a real problem. Adjusting the setting in the module does not help. Luckily it's really easy to fix. First, take out the...
  14. drumdevil9

The most badass Club Date you've ever seen

I've been thinking of getting another Club Date shell pack in the bigger sizes (13-16-22). I went to a downtown store to check out the deals and there it was on the shelf. Silver sparkle and everything. Now, I will probably never set it up like this for a gig but I thought it would be fun to...
  15. drumdevil9

Club Date SE snare...forgot how awesome it is.

Last night I brought out my Ludwig Club Date SE to a party gig and decided to use my Club Date snare (14x5) with it. I had been using my Blacro for the past few months. The party was in a hall and we were not mic'ed. I shared my kit with another drummer friend and when he played I couldn't...
  16. drumdevil9

Voodoo Shango Experience Live

Here's a video from our last show. This is an instrumental called, "Chasse À L'Homme" which means manhunt. It's only on Facebook for now but it should be visible even if you don't have an account. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=678004378934522&id=395075583894071&notif_t=like
  17. drumdevil9

Going to Dave Weckl clinic

I'm going to get my soul crushed :) at a Dave Weckl clinic this evening. I've never seen him live in any setting so it should be a great experience. Hopefully I can meet him and have him sign my Master Plan booklet. Have any of you been to see his clinics? Are they instructive or just...
  18. drumdevil9

My Renown Stealth 2 up, 1 down

I got my Gretsch Renown back home 'cause the band I was using it with went kaput. No biggie since I still have the other funk band. I decided to set it up (since I am unlikely to take this beast out for a gig) and leave my Ludwig Club Date in bags ready to go since it's a much more portable kit...
  19. drumdevil9

Snare side heads-stock vs. new

Has anyone noticed a difference between stock cheap snare side heads and say Remo Ambassador (or whatever brand/model) snare heads? At that thickness is there really a sound difference? Just wondering if I should bother changing the stock heads on a couple of my snares. I can't say I have...
  20. drumdevil9

Insane to sell a Renown to get a Club Date Fab 3?

Would it be crazy for me to sell my Gretsch Renown maple to get a Ludwig Club Date Fab 3 (13-16-22x14)? I'm so in love with these CD downbeats that I'm thinking a set with the bigger sizes but with the shallower bass drum might fit the bill for me. My Renown is a fusion 10-12-14-22x18. I hardly...