Search results

1. Gavin Harrison

Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Warrenoids I have been presented with 14" and 16" floor toms many times. I don't tune to any specific reference notes - (although I listed some in a previous post - they were only to demonstrate where my drums were at approximately) - so I'd just tune them to whatever I thought sounded good...
  2. Gavin Harrison

Gavin Harrison here!

Hi DeganMusic Did you consider a book of, or else doing a run of transcriptions/ videos on GH05Ric - The Man Who Sold Himself? "Prize" is such a gnarly track! yeah that's a wild tune ! Terry Branam and myself did make a transcription book "Rhythmic Designs" of the first two GH05Ric albums...
  3. Gavin Harrison

Gavin Harrison here!

That's very possible - I remember using those 12" Remix hi hats a lot around the early 2000's. cheers Gavin
  4. Gavin Harrison

Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Darth Vater How do you like your new birch SQ2 kit and how does it compare to say a Prolite or a maple medium SQ2? I'm loving the new birch set ! However I haven't lined it up side by side to any of my other drumsets so it's hard to really compare them. I have played many ProLite sets and...
  5. Gavin Harrison

Gavin Harrison here!

Hi sahilsarin - I was wondering if you ever use the 13" on your recordings for when the song demands? So instead of using an ensemble of 8-10-12, you end up using 10-12-13 for a certain track. I can't think of a recording in the last 20 years or so where I used the 13" tom. - Do you ever feel...
  6. Gavin Harrison

Gavin Harrison here!

Hi DeganMusic I found myself playing a lot of fairly lame "arbitrary" sounding polyrhythmic patterns once I learned how to coordinate 3s against other time signatures - which is interesting texturally, but never really felt like it was adding anything to the music. Then I heard "Be The Hero"...
  7. Gavin Harrison

Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Betsi I recently watch the Nord Drum 3Ps video, there are lots of interesting sounds, organic sounds, that are just different and feel good. My question is: Have you been interested on recording an album that incorporates industrial sounds or just an electronic experiment? If no, second...
  8. Gavin Harrison

Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Warrenoids Excellent work on the K Sweet Performance video. Break It All is a very good song, well so is the entire album. Can we expect more playthroughs anytime soon? Thanks. A large amount of filming is being prepared ! Stay tuned. Hi Sonorplayer I'm having an issue with the 12x8. I...
  9. Gavin Harrison

Gavin Harrison here!

Hi sal_tpa I read in Rhythmic Composition that you use two hi-hats in "Blackest Eyes" and I'm assuming the main hi-hat is the K 13" but I was wondering which model is the auxiliary hi-hat you use in the first verse? I believe I had two pairs of 13: K hi hats. One pair on the left (on the hi...
  10. Gavin Harrison

Gavin Harrison here!

I just like to use it as another percussive colour to add to what else is going on. best of luck ! Gavin
  11. Gavin Harrison

Gavin Harrison here!

Hi TK-421 I'm a huge fan of your playing—your originality, your groove, your super tasteful fills, etc.—so I'd love it if you'd expand upon how things like design and architecture (which I'm also a fan of) inspire you. Is it more of just an overall creative/creativity type of inspiration, or...
  12. Gavin Harrison

Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Warrenoids I use the blue tribal kit mostly with King Crimson - also I have an identical blue tribal kit stored in the States. With the Pineapple Thief I was using my old black & white tribal kit (on this side of the pond) as the blue one was away being shipped around with KC. I'm looking...
  13. Gavin Harrison

Gavin Harrison here!

Hi DeganMusic you once mentioned on a podcast (maybe Give The Drummer Some? I forget) that you overheard someone outside your practice room say something to the effect of, "oh no, not another Steve Gadd clone..." which prompted you to aim to develop your style - how did you set about creating...
  14. Gavin Harrison

Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Dora I usually just use the steel "Straight 8" wires for most things. I designed the 8 strand snares as that's my preference but you can of course put any other snare wires you want on the drum. Hope you like it ! Hi Warrenoids I was watching your many videos on YouTube with your old Pearl...
  15. Gavin Harrison

Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Dora I'm thinking about getting your Sonor signature snare one day, but it makes little sense now, and I was wondering how long it will be manufactured. How do these things work? Do you have any data on how many they make or sell and what they plan with them? I'm a little worried as I...
  16. Gavin Harrison

Gavin Harrison here!

HI Bjarne I think what keeps me motivated the most are the projects that I'm involved with. I'm in a happy place working with The Pineapple Thief and the creative freedom that it gives me. Same with the new record with Antoine Fafard. I can do whatever I think is right on the instrument. There...
  17. Gavin Harrison

Gavin Harrison here!

That's an interesting question. Ideally I'd like to know what the lyrics are about (if it's not exactly obvious from the words that they are singing) but I work on SO many songs where (at the time of the drum recording) the lyrics are not finished or haven't even been written. I do insist that...
  18. Gavin Harrison

Gavin Harrison here!

OK I think I've fixed the SoundCloud link in my previous post. Happy Holidays Everyone ! Gavin
  19. Gavin Harrison

Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Samuel it looks like you have sensible drum sizes and good head choice (apart from the Pinstripe on the reso side of the floor tom). I always tune the reso head first. Also make sure that you have completely muted the opposite head by placing the drum on your lap so you can only hear the...
  20. Gavin Harrison

Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Samuel can you give me a bit more info? What heads are on the reso sides of the toms? What are the depths of the drums? Personally, I don't tune by 'finger tight +' method. It's a bit too random for me. Certainly I tune the reso heads differently between the toms. Regarding muffling of...