Search results

1. Rattlin' Bones

Bob Moses on NOT listening to your bandmates?

Good point - listen vs follow. Great point, actually !!!!
  2. Rattlin' Bones

Canopus or DW

This forum and that survey are not a representative sample of the actual market. Looking through first page of that survey, I see Ayotte, British Drum Company, and other small niche players mentioned. But those are a teeny tiny insignificant part of the market pie. Sonor is mentioned a lot...
  3. Rattlin' Bones

Canopus or DW

Didn't mean I can't hear a difference - I meant a Canopus Yaiba sounded good, and so did DW Performance. And I already have a DW FF and it tunes to my liking. Factor in a $300 difference in price plus DW holding it's value better than Canopus (and a bigger market for used DW than Canopus should...
  4. Rattlin' Bones

Post your pre Covid gig shots

Our last jazz gig before COVID hit: Jimmy Can't Dance (yeah that's the name of the venue). Great jazz vibe it's below street level. Reminds me of NYC.
  5. Rattlin' Bones

Post your pre Covid gig shots

Our last blues gig before COVID hit. Our band leader Jim Masterson was inducted into this venue's Hall of Fame in 2020 but because of COVID they never had the induction ceremony.
  6. Rattlin' Bones

Simple kit desicion

Art Blakey was known for his crushed snare roll fills and his dynamics on the rolls. Yeah I do some gigs with just snare/kick/hats/ride. I only bring hats because we have a lot of vocal pieces and the singers like me to play hats when they're singing instead of ride. Then I fill with snare roll...
  7. Rattlin' Bones

I have also played in blues bands where guitar player skips the 4 and starts again at 1 and does it repeatedly. He credits it to a certain blues style, which might work as a solo act but is a train wreck playing with other people. So the bass and I were constantly having to listen and adjust...
  8. Rattlin' Bones

Canopus or DW

I made decision and ordered DW Performance 18/14/12 in pewter glitter finish. I was leaning that way because of potential for resale (I'm a serial kit turner), and then I got super-low offers via Reverb because I had DW kits in my Reverb watchlist. I was able to purchase the DW kit for the same...
  9. Rattlin' Bones

Ever regret buying a drumset?

Absolutely. Tama Club jam bop-size kit. Pure junk. INDe kit. Bass drum spurs and memory locks made setting up a chore. I can't afford to spend 5 minutes fiddling with kick drum spurs when I have 15 minutes to set up before our first set starts. Ludwig Club Date (new USA version). Toms were...
  10. Rattlin' Bones

Ludwig 1970s 3 ply WMP

3 ply with re-rings and mufflers. Love it. I also like how WMP ages into an onyx tint. Some folks don't like it but I dig it.
  11. Rattlin' Bones

If we're trading then we have to listen to player soloing before us so we can mimic then improv and build a little something different to pass on to next guy. And so on.
  12. Rattlin' Bones

Bassdrum head recordings 18" bass drum

I don't think anyone else asked - an 18" x +-16.75" size Catalina kick? 16.75????
  13. Rattlin' Bones

Anyone else considering selling their kit?

I'm excited. Our band will all be vaccinated. Means we are safe practicing together. That's STEP 1. Venues around us are now opening back at 50% capacity. STEP 2. We're booking gigs starting in May. STEP 3. What's not to be excited about???
  14. Rattlin' Bones

Canopus or DW

Review of DW Performance in jazz setting, written by actual jazz drummer who played these drums with small jazz groups: https://drummagazine.com/dw-performance-series-bop-kit-born-in-the-usa/
  15. Rattlin' Bones

Canopus or DW

Same type kit I am looking at:
  16. Rattlin' Bones

Tama Experts - Badge With No Serial Number

Even the new Tama I see serial numbers - so what are these???
  17. Rattlin' Bones

Canopus or DW

LMAO !!!!!!
  18. Rattlin' Bones

2021 NAMM Drum Gear

Thanks. Neusonic is still, to me, soooo disappointing in those dullsville finishes. Doesn't Ludwig know the sizzle is more important to most buyers than the steak. Make a few sparkle and pearl laminates for gosh sakes. The things would fly off the shelves competing with made in Asia Gretsch...
  19. Rattlin' Bones

Ludwig 1970s 3 ply WMP

That's an excellent and fair price!!!
  20. Rattlin' Bones

Canopus or DW

Still looking at options. I have been playing DW FF (20x12 kick) and really like the sound of all the drums. The toms are really musical and articulate. So my own personal experience with DW is their drums do sound quite good with jazz. I did own a Canopus kit earlier (I think it was ash) with a...