Search results

1. makinao

Tweeter Workout

This is the soundtrack of a sound installation I exhibited last year. Something to give your tweeters an Easter workout.
  2. makinao

Sheet Gong as ride?

Has anyone here heard/played this before? https://www.facebook.com/Zildjian/photos/a.114277709993.120064.10254284993/10156736433104994/?type=3
  3. makinao

Advice on a Pearl Masters Snare

I saw a seemingly mint condition mid-90s Pearl Masters Brass 14x6.5 snare with an original Pearl bag in a local (Philippine) ad. It's going for the equivalent of US$480. I saw another one, but rather beat up, going for the equivalent of US$240. Is this model, and these prices, worth...
  4. makinao

My new 12x5

I saw this on one of my local FB marketplaces going for the equivalent of US$90, and grabbed it immediately. Its a rare (in my country) out-of-production early 2000s Pearl Sensitone Steel 12”x5” 8-lug snare. The guy I bought it from said his singer-wife bought it for him in Japan 2...
  5. makinao

Factory Tuned?

I read some people here mention drums being "factory tuned." Are they really? AFAIK, drum kits are shipped from the factory disassembled. That's the way I see them delivered to stores. Besides, if they were delivered fully assembled and tuned, can heads really maintain their tension after months...
  6. makinao

Silken Trois Crashes

Something clicked when I got a chance to play a set Kerope and K Con cymbals. I felt they finally delivered the oldskool dark and trashy sounds which regular K's promised but never took to the max. Unfortunately, the price for admission to these wonderful sounds are usually frightening, or so I...
  7. makinao

Opinions on this kit please

Here I go again. This guy's been selling it for over a year. I don't need it, but I'm tempted. Looks like its from the late 70s. It's equivalent to about US$ 888. Is this a good buy? http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=311444.0
  8. makinao

Kerope

Any word, audio, video on the new Kerope's? People at cymbalholics are talking excitedly about the launch today.
  9. makinao

Vinyl Resurgence Thread

I'm picking this up from the "How to beat superior drummer" thread. I was never really a hardcore fan of vinyl, as I preferred open reel tape as my analog medium of choice. But the people on audiophile fora I'm in are all wetting their pants with prospects of LP only releases and re-releases...
  10. makinao

Is this really a 16" Swish?

The seller calls is a "Swiss". From the picture it looks like a 70s hollow logo. The rivets look weird though. Is this really a 16" Swish, or just a China Boy, with rivets were added later. Its going for US$55.
  11. makinao

Somebody Stop Me!!

I popped into my friendly music store and they have a holiday special on brand new 18" 2013 A thin crashes. Apparently there is some kind of mixup between Zildjian USA and the local distributor. So it's going for the equivalent of US$162. Is that a great buy or not? I already have three crashes...
  12. makinao

China Setup

I finally completed my China collection. I've got (in order of acquisition): 8" Stagg DH 16" Stagg SH 16" Stagg Traditional (Lion) 18" Stagg Traditional (Lion) 22" Paiste 2002 Now all I need is a gig with just these and my New Beats. One drummer friend says if that happens, I'll make a lot of...
  13. makinao

New (2013) A's

This is inspired by SgtThumps new 21" Sweet Ride. So who else has one, and is Zildjian really going in what some feel is a positive direction with these new A's? Is 2013 shaping up to become a vintage year? http://zildjian.com/News-Events/2013/4/What-is-Sound-Legacy
  14. makinao

Snare + Kick Pack?

I've noticed more and more instances when I hardly touch my toms, and can get everything done with just a snare, kick, and cymbals. I'm also seen and heard drummers like Dony Wynn and Jay Bellerose who can play entire concerts and/or albums with this kind of setups. I am therefore curious as to...
  15. makinao

Ambassador Coated or Clear for Church snare?

I'm donating new batter heads for my Church's kit. I already got a coated ambassador for the snare (Gretsch Blackhawk wood 8-lug 14"x5"). But I'm concerned the kids will get frustrated with the look of it when the coating starts wearing off. Today someone offered me a brand new 14" clear...
  16. makinao

Do Multi-Clamps do damage?

I've never had a multi-clamp. So I wanted to ask what the likelihood is of Multi-clamps scratching or damaging the stand its clamped to?
  17. makinao

I brought my cymbals to school today

In this day and age of recordings and sound reinforcement, I often feel that too few people have a chance to hear acoustic musical instruments without electronic intervention. So I decided to bring two of my cymbals (a new 16" Stagg Traditionals China, and a 70's 16" A. Zildjian Thin Crash) to...
  18. makinao

Dirty Money drummer?

Does anyone know the name of the drummer (and the rest of the crew) of Diddy Dirty Money's appearance on SNL last December 2010? I think it was the same crew (sans dancers and Swizz Beats) on Jimmy Kimmel that same month.
  19. makinao

EXR or Thunderking?

I'm not in a hurry to buy, but my beloved early 70's 5-piece Pearl Thunderking has seen much much MUCH better days. I've been scanning a local forum and came up with this intriguing choice. If an upcoming project comes through in time, I am considering the following: Mint Pearl EXR 6-piece...
  20. makinao

Lion bell vulnerable?

I've never broken a cymbal. But I'm curious if the squairish bell of the Wuhan/Stagg Lion series China is any more vulnerable to breaking than the shallower bell of other Chinas.