Search results

1. TK-421

Ofri Nehemya

Cool! I got turned onto Ofri on a flight to Hong Kong, where the seatback entertainment system had Omer Avital's Abutbul Music in its jazz collection. I bought the album while still on my trip, and when I got home I looked up the drummer and found this. He's a great drummer, and I really like...
  2. TK-421

Mapex Saturn Evolution.... new twist!

Agreed. In fact, I posted this back in 2018, and I still feel the same way about it. So here it is again: "... it looks like Homer Simpson making a fist while wearing one of those weird multi-finger rings"
  3. TK-421

Mapex Saturn Evolution.... new twist!

I don't like how the new Halo mount necessitates putting the badge lower on the shell, which is especially noticeable on the 10" tom. Badges should be mid-shell or slightly higher than the midpoint, otherwise it looks like a design fail.
  4. TK-421

Easy survey on Drum brands

I’m revising my list then. Would: Gretsch (Renown and up), Sonor (SQ1 and up), Tama (Star Walnut or Maple), Yamaha (TC or RC, unless I needed a beater kit, then SC). Maybe: Anything else from a major brand, but the least likely would be DW or Pearl Would Not: Hello Kitty, First Act, CB-700...
  5. TK-421

Shouldn’t there be a stipulation to only include major/mainstream brands that offer at least some “nice” drums? That’s how I took it, because I think it goes without saying that few here would consider a CB-700, a Hello Kitty kit or whatever.
  6. TK-421

I was going to, but then it'd be copying you and Treverer.
  7. TK-421

Would: 1. Gretsch; 2. Sonor; 3. Tamaha (I'm torn between these two :)) Would not: 1. DW; 2. Pearl; 3. any idiotic kit with super long bass drums, ultra wide bass hoops, stupid-looking lugs, etc.
  8. TK-421

Why So Many DW B-Stock Brass Collector Snares Now On Sale?

As long as it comes with a really buff roadie and a snare stand built like a tank to accommodate all that weight. Actually, how much would a 1” metal snare weigh? A Tama 6.5x14” bell brass snare weighs 18 lbs. with its 3 mm shell. If 1” equals 25 mm, then a 1” thick shell is over 8x thicker...
  9. TK-421

Why So Many DW B-Stock Brass Collector Snares Now On Sale?

1” shells? What snare are you referring to? I’ve never even heard of a metal drum of any sort with a 1-inch thick shell. That would probably weigh as much as my first car! (exaggerating of course, but only slightly)
  10. TK-421

Silent sticks for edrums

I have no idea how well these would work on an e-kit, or even if they'd reduce the volume. But it may be something worth looking into. https://vicfirth.zildjian.com/universal-practice-tips.html
  11. TK-421

What’s the best song of 1985?

Everybody Wants to Rule the World gets my vote. Great song and cool drum groove. I am a bit biased though, since I was in a Tears for Fears tribute band for like 5 or 6 years.
  12. TK-421

Remo Bass Head Comparison

Oh cool! That was a great comparison video. Clearly I liked the smooth white Emperors the best. In fact, I had been contemplating upgrading that kit (a Renown) to a Brooklyn, but now I like the sound so much better, I'm definitely keeping these. BTW, which heads from your video did you like the...
  13. TK-421

13'' K Custom Dark hi hats or 13''K Hi hats

I haven’t played the 13” versions of either, but I have played 14” versions of both. In fact I own a pair of 14” K hats. I find they offer a lot of clarity and cut without being harsh, while the 14” K Custom Dark hats had a much mellower sound that I didn’t particularly care for. I imagine the...
  14. TK-421

Anyone have any good soft cases for drum set stories to tell?

Sure thing, Lord Vater. Wasn't trying to give you the heebie-jeebies. On a completely unrelated note, there's nothing quite as scary as a hidden gator, don't ya think?
  15. TK-421

Those look nice and should do the job. But you know, Tama doesn’t make drum bags, so you know they just slapped their logo on someone else’s bags. I’d look into who actually manufactured those bags and make sure it’s not Gator.
  16. TK-421

It looks like it was retrieved from the Titanic, but nope, that damage was all from the industrial strength glue they used. And there were a lot of instances of this happening. That’s enough to keep me from ever buying anything from them.
  17. TK-421

I’ve been using Humes & Berg Drum Seeker bags for years now, and I’m super impressed with them. Fleece lined, heavily padded, quality zippers and stitching, and even ergonomic handles. You can get a set from Sweetwater in your exact sizes for about $270 with free shipping. As for Gator bags, I...
  18. TK-421

Kit upgrade recommendations

BTW, your kit is from the 1970s, not the 60s.
  19. TK-421

Kit upgrade recommendations

Don't know if they ever did. Perhaps not. Like I said, you're probably right that the kit is most likely a PDP.