Search results

1. Frank

Anyone NOT plan on playing out anymore?

I won't admit this to the band, but, if we folded because of covid, I would have let it go - and not joined another situation at this time. Covid has done damage to my enjoyment of it all. Having said that, just last night, after a long outage, we had a venue reach out to us and book us for...
  2. Frank

Easy survey on Drum brands

Many years ago when I was taking a break from drumming and selling my equipment ... I hadn't played the kit in a while. I put it up for sale, and someone was on the way over. I played the kit and thought - what am I doing, this kit sounds great, and I'm basically giving it away. :)...
  3. Frank

Easy survey on Drum brands

Would: Pearl, DW, Dixon. Would not: none here. At any given moment, any kit from just about any brand is in contention. I think all the manufacturers are making quality stuff, and I'd be evaluating the particular kit, not the brand. Having said that, I would add that the support I have...
  4. Frank

Found the secret to tuning drums!

After lots of experimenting a couple of years ago, I found that tuning both heads to the same pitch yielded the best version of the tone I was looking for.
  5. Frank

Found the secret to tuning drums!

Purchasing a Tune Bot was the best little investment I ever made in my tone. Not embarrassed to say it does a far better job than me with ears alone. I have great tone - and it is the Same every gig.
  6. Frank

Tama Cocktail Jam Mini

I am always interested in small kits. And I generally think almost all the manufacturers get it wrong. Here are the two things I think are wrong with the way manufacturers approach it: - Allocating space for a drum diameter isn't a problem, and it is important to not skimp. In my book, for...
  7. Frank

Beginning drumming...were you supported or not supported

As a child, it took me over a year to convince my parents to let me start drum lessons. I was clearly showing a passion, and they made me beg a long time before letting me start. Once they saw I was serious, several years later they sprung for a very expensive Ludwig kit for me. #grateful...
  8. Frank

Are you still happy?

These have not been good times for me.
  9. Frank

Chromacast Hardware

I would be inclined to try it. I have multiple Chromacast bags that were very high quality for the price.
  10. Frank

Last gig on drums for a long time?

Well, it's done. We ended on a good note. Crowd responded and had a good time. I like the suggestion near the beginning of the thread. This is a good time to hit the woodshed and enjoy that. Stay safe everyone.
  11. Frank

Last gig on drums for a long time?

I just finished my warm up for a gig later - the last gig for our band on the books. Got a little depressing thinking that in all likelihood I will not have a gig on drums until next year, spring. Assuming the band doesn't go in separate ways because of all this. We caught a break with a...
  12. Frank

Looking at the future...

It has been interesting to see how different everyone's reaction to all this is. Frankly, I thought this was going to fold my band. Not too many weeks ago, the band email dialog sounded like no one was going to get anywhere near a gig. Then the summer came, and a couple of outdoor gigs...
  13. Frank

Looking at the future...

Interesting that you posted this. I posted this to another forum a few minutes ago, after a first return to live play yesterday: ___________________________________________________________ Yesterday, I had my very first gig since covid. It was an outdoor gig behind a brewery/restaurant on a...
  14. Frank

Amazon sells fake sticks??

Since the second pair were Zildjian, let me offer this up: I switched to a light, comfortable Zildian Super 7A Maple. I was occasionally having trouble finding it in stock, and I discovered Zildjian's own store. I have ordered twice from them. The price was good, and the sticks came...
  15. Frank

Tony Allen

Thank you Bernard. What a special player. Really glad I eventually discovered his playing.
  16. Frank

Why I don't want help taking down, even carrying my drums.

I am not fussy with my equipment at all. But - I don't want anyone tearing it down. I need to put stuff where it goes, and nobody knows that - but me. :) Carrying hardware bags after everything is packed - sure, grab some bags if you can. :)
  17. Frank

Tony Allen

Just hearing. Very sorry he is gone. His playing was a late life discovery. Glad I found it. He was a very special player, and I love those grooves. RIP.
  18. Frank

Simplest affordable play back solution

The buds plus cups worked pretty well. I still will eventually put a nice mixed solution together, though. Getting tired of how the drums sound during rehearsal compared to when playing live. But yeah, the buds plus cups Did make it easier to get some drums back, compared to the full on...
  19. Frank

You guys sold me. Will try that.
  20. Frank

Do you mean phone ear buds that have a mic for a phone call, and then being able to hear the drums through that while playing along? If that is what you meant - and I like this - what opens up the mic?