Search results

1. Trip McNealy

Who here is gigging?

I would sure hope so as well. Our cover band also averages 2-3 gigs per week under normal circumstances, with a smattering of private and corporate gigs throughout the year. Since this past March, we have dwindled down to 2-3 gigs per month. There was a small stretch during the summer where...
  2. Trip McNealy

A peek inside the practice room....

Those Rogers sound awesome. I am having a serious brain fart at the moment but a venue I used to play at (in NYC down near Katz Deli) had a Rogers kit in there I loved playing. How do you tune your toms on that kit? Very bop sounding. If you know of the specific fundamental notes I'd love...
  3. Trip McNealy

DW Design Series...Good Deal?

I have the Frequent Flyer kit which is made under the Design Series. Real big fan of the smaller turret lugs, the UV lacquer finish, and the HVLT ply layout is very pleasing to my ear. Tune 'em up or down and they respond great. I prefer them over the Performance Series if we're talking...
  4. Trip McNealy

Roland V-Drum pad question!

An unsung hero IMO in the Roland line up is the KT-10 trigger pedal. I own two, and while there is a little bit of a premium price to them, they are ROCK SOLID and perform flawless on all kinds of modules. The additional benefit over other traditional KD-xx types of Roland's stuff is you don't...
  5. Trip McNealy

THE CLASSIFIEDS - For Sale / Wanted

FS (US): ATV XD3 Drum Module I received this unit essentially brand new for the purpose of a bare bones module to gig with it, and have played it twice: I simply want a little more flexibility in the tweaking of the pads and cymbal parameters since I tend to be picky about my dynamics. Out of...
  6. Trip McNealy

Paiste Sig crashes

I would concur with these observations. I own 18, 19, 20" Signature Full Crashes and they are BEASTS of a cymbal and very musical.
  7. Trip McNealy

Anyone had custom Sabians made

I had a few custom Sabians made years before they offered the online custom configurator and officially labeled the service as Custom Shop. Sabian has AFAIK offered custom jobs forever. The online tool makes it easier to understand the various components and effects they have on the cymbal...
  8. Trip McNealy

Yamaha Stage Custom Hip Kit

Truth be told if I already didn't own a DW Frequent Flyer kit, which Snom aside, fits my needs as a portable kit, I'd would have picked up this Hip Kit.. I think it sounds great and is priced pretty decently. A drummer friend of mine who sometimes fills in for me in my cover band just got one...
  9. Trip McNealy

Rosewood Snare Shootout!

Always been a fan of Rosewood thanks for putting this up! All 3 are unique indeed. Other Rosewood snares I think would be comparable are Gretsch's as well as the limited edition Alex Van Halen Ludwig one.
  10. Trip McNealy

How much spare gear do you bring to a gig?

If you're like me with a more recent-ish model year car/SUV, I take advantage of the under-the-floor cargo bay organizer where the spare tire is usually. I keep a spare kick pedal, sticks, XLR cable or two, an LED flashlight, and a few felts/wingnuts/drum key/HH clutch and mini-Leatherman tool...
  11. Trip McNealy

Killer deal on drum heads TODAY!!!

Yeah, I believe this site is operated/owned by Long Island Drum Center in NY.. Dennis is real nice guy; I went there for a Todd Sucherman clinic last year and the whole operation is real stand up. Good people!
  12. Trip McNealy

Tune-Bot your method

Same here, I have Studio version. It's the best one they've made to date IMO. With the Hi Filter engaged I can get well past 400 Hz no problem. I usually leave all my snares-sides at 390-394 Hz anyways. My pro tip: On any drum and head, instead of a drumstick use a timpani mallet to gently...
  13. Trip McNealy

I need that thick, deep, Nashville country music snare drum! What do I get?

While on the subject, if anyone knows what snare drum the drummer from Old Dominion uses (I think he's a Yamaha artist but that doesn't mean anything) that thing is awesome. In any of their popular songs, I consider that a very nice country snare.. and it sounds like he might use that snare a...
  14. Trip McNealy

RocknRoller carts

Yup, same here with both. Have had the cart for what seems like 6 years so far and still going strong!
  15. Trip McNealy

Evans ST Dry Snare Head

You will not regret the UV2's.. I run them atop clear EC Reso's on my Ludwig CM's and they are simply the best.
  16. Trip McNealy

Kraft Music recommedations?

It's been quite a while (few yrs) since I've ordered from Kraft but my last order was no different than getting off of Musicians Friend or similar sites... no issues with the transaction, shipping time, products, etc. They often have some decent "bundles" when it comes to electronic drum stuff...
  17. Trip McNealy

JD BECK (15 years old phenomenon from Dallas)

Up until that Zildjian LIVE video, I've watched him (usually with DOMI) on Nord videos and stuff and never heard him speak until that one! Him being from TX I always find it amusing he dresses like he's going skiing. Great chops on the kid though and amazing how little effort he needs to take...
  18. Trip McNealy

Cymbal Confession Time.

Can't go wrong with the Sabians! Watch though, over time bigger and better leads to even bigger and better.. take it from me lol! 15" HHX Groove Hats 19" HHX X-plosion Crash 19" HHX Legacy Crash 20" Artisan Suspended Crash 22" HHX Complex Medium Ride
  19. Trip McNealy

Must.....resist.... more drums... (Inside: Gretsch Renown RN2 Exclusive)

Hahaha, all you guys are funny! No extra kits for me at this time; just thought I'd share a really nice RN2 setup that I came across! My Ludwig CM's (as a maple kit) are already close enough in configuration and makeup so it would be redundant to have the Gretsch at this time. To digress from...
  20. Trip McNealy

Tris Imboden here!

Welcome Tris!!! Always a big fan of your drumming and contributions to the community at large. Saw you back a decade and a half or so at a Chicago concert at PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel, NJ. Towards the end of the set me and my lads went stage-side and I was able to shake your hand...