Search results

1. rhumbagirl

Category Leader

If an asteroid was announced as impacting the earth and I was one of the drummers picked for the new Lunar Gravitational Drummers Academy - and money was no object: Sonor Zildjian Remo DW pedals/hardware Vic Firth Ahead SKB
  2. rhumbagirl

What are you doing right now?

I've given up correcting that particular quality :). I am really really curious how you manage to do it though. I mean, (1) highlight text with mouse, (2) click the 'Reply' that pops up, (3) start typing your reply. In HTML terms, what you're quoting is... a section of text enclosed by tags.
  3. rhumbagirl

What are you doing right now?

I'm reading about political science, super PACs, extremism, think tanks, dark money. This is better than a season of Billions!!
  4. rhumbagirl

Are you still happy?

Well now that you keep asking, NOOO I'm not happy!!! Happy now?? :devilish:
  5. rhumbagirl

Why should I practice things that I would never play on a gig?

I don't have anything to add to the excellent advice above. I suppose that means everyone agrees with me now :p
  6. rhumbagirl

What's the one exercise you are doing right now that's having the biggest impact on your playing?

I could see how a salaried teaching position affects the overall experience compared to a private practice. Seems like you would be even freer to experiment with things when you know you don't have to worry paycheck to paycheck. And teaching facilities are better and the equipment is paid for...
  7. rhumbagirl

What's the one exercise you are doing right now that's having the biggest impact on your playing?

" it's totally insane. It's malpractice." :love: I don't think this is anything I'm going to pursue right away, unless I go for an online thing only - I move around too much as a contract engineer. Maybe I need to settle down somewhere and get some normalcy in my life before attempting what...
  8. rhumbagirl

The ostinato being the feet: _H _F _H _F EDIT: The natural hand pattern being R_ L_ R_ L_, so the above R_ L_ L_ R_ would be difficult. I'm guessing L_ R_ L_ R_ would be as well. There's possibly a difficult physics discussion going on behind that, but I'll let someone else give that a try.
  9. rhumbagirl

I'm curious how the teaching is impacted by the pandemic. And what would you consider to be pre-requisites to start a teaching business, particularly do your students look for a music degree? Thanks!
  10. rhumbagirl

How do I hint to my practice space that we need to change heads?

I have a feeling, if we continue no this course of discussion, we can write the next New York Times Best Seller "How to get your head changed for free - for Dummies". They won't know which section of the bookstore to sell it in though! :oops:
  11. rhumbagirl

Or "this is what *I* can do" from "The Jackal" - one of the early scenes, where a Russian mobster throws an axe into his fellow gangster's head. :oops:
  12. rhumbagirl

To be honest you got me. But upon rereading my submittal, it does fit the scenario of leaving a copy of a dvd movie on the snare. And who reads books anyway? LOL
  13. rhumbagirl

Beginning drumming...were you supported or not supported

Definitely. Had my parents been the type to get involved in their kids' career paths, we all would have had more successful careers. If my parents had told me I needed to keep my grades up to get into a better college, or even Berklee, I would have been more focused on that. Instead they just...
  14. rhumbagirl

How exactly should I count these notes?

If that's floortom and snare, that sticking looks tough, for #7 at least. If it's kick and snare, then the doubles would be a challenge. But it's a breeze if it's between hi-tom and the snare.
  15. rhumbagirl

Ply Drums Glue?

You mean "prevent glue from sticking to the jig". (Why am I such a perfectionist??)
  16. rhumbagirl

how common is it to crash the "ride" cymbal?

More common than riding a crash :oops:
  17. rhumbagirl

Beginning drumming...were you supported or not supported

While mother played some piano, and dad some guitar, they were strictly hobbyists, so not particularly supportive, just open to whatever you wanted to do. Financially speaking, I would say yes in the sense that we lived in a house and had a music room where a piano and a drum set sat. First...
  18. rhumbagirl

Something different - Christmas message

Merry Christmas Andy, and Happy Holidays!