Search results

1. drummer-russ

Not getting enough volume from Alesis Sample pad

So I have had a number of gigs with my Alesis Sample Pad (4). Mostly with our own PA but one with a house PA. Recently the bass player that was handled the PA left the band. Two recent gigs since then have been a challenge to get the Alesis setup right through the PA. I was able to get good...
  2. drummer-russ

RIP Walter Becker

If I could only have one song to listen to the rest of my life this would be it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGMjGaiIxtY
  3. drummer-russ

Bass drum mic causing feedback? Alesis?

Our last gig we had a mysterious feedback we were not able to figure out. Has anyone experienced feedback problems from a bass drum mic on a non-ported drum head angled across the head? After the gig I wondered if it might be the culprit. The keys player was just ahead of me and to the left, the...
  4. drummer-russ

Have a cigar time changes

Ok so I just had "Have a Cigar" added to the set list for [I]this Saturday![I] The singer mentioned the spot in the song just before "riding the gravy train" and that he has trouble with the time and needed my bass drum to cue him. I listened to it quickly and there does seem to be a time...
  5. drummer-russ

Has anyone used the app Band Mule?

Just joined a new band and they want to organize, schedule, and share information better. They are considering Band Mule. Does anyone have any experience with it? There are a very limited amount of user reviews in the app store.
  6. drummer-russ

Advice for Cover Bands on Facebook

I have some issues with a member of our band on our use of Facebook. We have a band page and we have an ok number of followers. His view is so restricted, feeling we should only post right before and after a gig. My experience in business and looking at some articles for bands use of social...
  7. drummer-russ

Laws regarding cover bands!

I have mixed thoughts about this. I wonder how bands feel about this. I can see recording and selling bothering them, but do they really feel like they are getting ripped off if a cover band plays their tunes? http://www.semissourian.com/story/2291003.html
  8. drummer-russ

Drum stick selection tool? Brand agnostic?

So after a long time without playing I have been playing again for a little over three years. I play classic rock, some pop, and some blues. Years ago I used 2B sticks. When I started back I used 5Bs. After a bit they felt like clubs! I am not a hard hitter. So I switched to 7As, which I am...
  9. drummer-russ

Playing on Halloween? Costumes ideas for drummers?

We have a gig on Haloween night and have been asked to wear costumes. I have one in mind but not certain yet. So hoping you guys have some ideas. My idea? Ghost of John Bonham!
  10. drummer-russ

Lesson learned! Set up on a level surface

So this past Sunday we played at a co-op farm for their open house.Blistering hot but well attended and a good crowd and a chance to use my new drums. The tent was already in place and I did not have much of an option in terms of choosing where I set up. I found the most flat space I could. Set...
  11. drummer-russ

Nick in the bearing edge of my new drum. Concern?

I ordered a drum kit from Mapex and just received one of the drums. Doing a close inspection I saw something that looked like a crack in one of the plys. After I took the batter off I saw that it was just a colorization issue with that ply. But, I did find a nick in the bearing edge. It is...
  12. drummer-russ

Shallow toms - 20x16" Bass 8 10 12 14FT - Advice

I have been on here long enough to know that asking what to buy is just not productive. But in this case I have researched threads in here for 2 days and manufacturer web sites. And I have a pretty good idea of what I want. So I am looking for input from all of you about what drum sets fit the...
  13. drummer-russ

Help with middle fill in Whole Lotta Love

I did a search to see if this has been covered but could not find it so apologies if I missed it. We are doing Whole Lotta Love and I am not sure I am getting the fill coming out of the orgasmic section correct. In this recording it comes in at 3:01. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mln0RciE2o0...
  14. drummer-russ

Acrolite and new emperor=broken lug

So I finally purchased an acrolite. I bought one that looks to be a 1984. I took the snares and heads off, cleaned the shell, lugs, tensions rods and rims and was putting on a new emperor reso head. I never had a head not just drop onto the bearing edge. I had to push it pretty firmly on with...
  15. drummer-russ

Tricks for faster set up

As a weekend warrior that is beginning to gig more frequently I am trying to find ways to make set up, and tear down and loading faster. I would love to hear others tips. I doubt any tricks I use are unique but who knows. 1- Tape on my rug to show where everything goes. 2- Sequence, I set up...
  16. drummer-russ

Another IEM thread

Sorry everyone for yet another IEM thread. But I have tried 4 different times to search for help with what I need. I want to use IEMs hoping to reduce overall volume and still here FOH and in the best case, my vocals a bit louder than what comes through FOH. I am ok with a wired arrangement...
  17. drummer-russ

Cover Band song selections

I know not all of you play in cover bands but I am curious about a few things for those that are in cover bands. In your answers it would help if you gave an idea of what sound or genre your band is into, though I am sure we can tell mostly from the answers. 1. Which set do you consider the...
  18. drummer-russ

A Custom owners; what size crashes do you have?

I ask because I have one 15" A Custom Thin crash and need to replace two other low end crashes. I am curious to know if anyone has an opinion about the size increments to recommend. I play cover music, mostly classic rock but some other styles, southern rock, blues, and a litttle pop. So I need...
  19. drummer-russ

Mapex M 9 ply Maple

I bought a used Mapex M kit last year and it took me a long time to identify the year and generation of M series. I tried the Mapex customer rep with absolutely no luck. They do not track serial numbers. Why have serial numbers if you don't track them? Oh well that is another subject. But after...
  20. drummer-russ

First paying gig in 30+ years

I have been on here for about a year. That was about the time I decided it was now or never to get back into playing. Played with some guys on an original project over the winter (that never went anywhere) and am still working on something permanent. But tonight I have a fill in gig. I feel like...