Search results

1. alparrott

Help with hand pain, stiffness

Last night was my first gig back with either of my regular bands after the musical, and in my opinion it went poorly. I had numerous issues, but the biggest one going on right now is that I'm having a lot of stiffness and pain in my hands, and it's really giving them the dumb when it comes time...
  2. alparrott

A cautionary tale: The band that apparently never was

A friend of mine Facebooked me a link to this article last night, and I found myself unable to stop clicking through the succession of articles documenting the European tour of a metal band that apparently only ever existed in its namesake's head...
  3. alparrott

The "Every Snare You've Ever Owned" thread

So we've got a "show off your snare" thread, a "your go-to gigging snare" thread, and a "how many kits have you owned?" thread, and I wanted to kick off a new thread that combines all those thoughts - how many snares have you owned? Which were they? And which are your favorites? 1) 1960s Ludwig...
  4. alparrott

Rediscovering your "other" gear

Ever since I rehabbed a set of Ludwig Standards (about 5 years ago), they've been my primary kit - recording, gigs, goofing around, you name it. For the most part, my other drums (first-gen Yamaha Stage Custom) have been sitting on the shelf collecting dust. I did pull them out for a jazz gig...
  5. alparrott

Next musical: "Little Shop Of Horrors"

Musical pit drumming is very near and dear to my heart, and I was gutted when my local theatre company "went a different direction" a few years back and I stopped getting calls for productions. Fortunately, I still have a pretty good reputation and just got picked up for an eleven-show run of...
  6. alparrott

Melodic drumming story on NPR Music

A lot of what is being discussed here is pretty 101 and is meant for non-musos. But I think this NPR Music clip deserves a little discussion, for two reasons: 1) I thought Allison Miller did a really good job of explaining the concepts and demonstrating them without watering it down, getting...
  7. alparrott

Back to the pit with me! "Little Shop of Horrors" October/November

I used to be pretty busy in local theater as a pit musician. Lately it's been bands and other musical projects, but I just got offered the chair for our local theatre company's production of "Little Shop" for 11 shows in October and November. It will be good to get back into the swing of things...
  8. alparrott

Well this is humbling: Hit Like A Girl, Bonham edition

So I think we can all put away excuses for another day. https://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2018/06/11/618963329/watch-this-8-year-old-girl-crush-led-zeppelins-good-times-bad-times?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180611
  9. alparrott

The one piece of gear you'll take to the grave

Forgive the overly melodramatic thread title. My recent experiences haggling and shopping for cymbals, discussing favorite rides and snares and things, got me thinking about what pieces of gear I simply would not sell, trade or give away for any reason. I thought it would be an interesting...
  10. alparrott

Concerned about my ride cymbal for a quiet jazz gig

So previous to this, I've never had occasion to want or need another ride cymbal in my life; my trusty 20" K Custom has served me for any old thing I could possibly want to do. But this next gig will be a very low-volume piano-bass-drums jazz trio backing a female singer in a somewhat small...
  11. alparrott

Shifting gears - adding a THIRD band (and a personal challenge)

There was a time, not long ago, when I thought to myself, "How could anyone be in more than one band at a time? Who can possibly make that work?" I'm kind of ironically laughing at myself here. It was two summers ago that I was called back into a band I'd left a few years prior, and it was if...
  12. alparrott

Pawn Shop STEAL vintage A Zildjian ride

Looks like a 70s or 80s A brilliant medium or ping ride with a Constantinople stamp. No cracks, chips or keyholes, $60 out the door. This never happens to me.
  13. alparrott

That smug feeling when...

... the bandleader/songwriter raises an eyebrow at you carting a few snares and three pairs of hi-hats into the studio... ...but then hears both his sloshy heavy-rock drone guitar song and his poppy synth-drenched 80's homage song stylistically pulled off to perfection, and gives you a dozen...
  14. alparrott

Franken-hats

Hello, Drummerworld. My name is Al, and I'm a cymbalholic. (Hi, Al.) Apparently my "signature thing" in drumming is creating these unholy Frankenstein hi-hat pairs. Take two cymbals and jam them together. If they're from the same line, cool; if not, way cooler. My journey began twenty years...
  15. alparrott

Of all the days to have studio time booked

The fates just happened to have me in the studio to lay down two drum tracks on the same day that, as chance would have it, I gave my two weeks' notice at my job. I went in and set up and got sounds locked in earlier this afternoon, and took a few swipes at the first track before leaving for...
  16. alparrott

Wacky Drum-related Dreams

Every now and again I'll have a weird dream related to drumming. These generally fall into one of three categories: 1) Trying to get to the gig, or getting set up for the gig, and either I never get there, or things are all wrong when I do (forgot stuff, hardware is broken, etc.) 1a) A...
  17. alparrott

Let's see your kick drum art!

As I was printing out a new decal for my first gig in a long time rejoined with my band, I realized that I have seen a number of really snazzy bits of bass drum head art here over the years, but never in one thread. So I'll go first. Here's the decal fresh off the printer. I'll get another...
  18. alparrott

The 2016 drum gear Christmas haul thread

This is where we all get to show off our newest bits of gear and toys and things that we picked up for Christmas. Doesn't *strictly* have to be drum related, however - a truly awesome gift is always welcome for sharing. My really big gift is from Rotarded of course, my new-to-me Joey Kramer...
  19. alparrott

Larry's Snare Giveaway: The unwrapping videos!

I wanted to set up this thread so that videos of folks getting their new gear could be shared out with the community at large. There's been an awful lot of naysayers and cynics on the other thread. Let's show them what this has all been about - drummers being real cool to other drummers for no...
  20. alparrott

Your laptop/mixer/etc. stand solution

As I start moving more into miking and recording my drums, I of course need space. For things. This has resulted in a clutter to my left side: - To the close left of my hats, I now have my Yamaha multi-pad. Directly below it is a 12" side snare, so I can't mount anything auxiliary off the pad...