Search results

1. Scott K Fish

Who is Gary Chester?

Still in production. I imagine will hear first of its release on Gary's official Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/GaryChesterTheDrummer
  2. Scott K Fish

Who is Gary Chester?

Gary's "snow" photo was taken at his Suffern, NY home.
  3. Scott K Fish

Who is Gary Chester?

The superstition around top studio drummers was amazing. I remember Hal Blaine saying if a record producer couldn't hire Hal for a date he'd ask to rent Hal's drums.
  4. Scott K Fish

Who is Gary Chester?

As far as I know, still in production. I think the best place for Gary Chester updates is the GC Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/GaryChesterTheDrummer
  5. Scott K Fish

Who is Gary Chester?

SKF NOTE: This piece was published first in the Piscataquis Observer weekly newspaper on October 29, 2018 as Who is Gary Chester?. Gary Chester, starting in the 1960s, was a top New York studio drummer. One of a special breed of musicians who music producers and artists counted on to make hit...
  6. Scott K Fish

Neil Peart

Neil Peart – If the Simple Dumb Thing Works Best SKF NOTE: During one interview Neil Peart defined "selling out" as playing drums "someone else's way." I mentioned Neil's playing on Jeff Berlin's album, Champion, specifically the song, Subway Music. To my ears, I said, Neil's playing there...
  7. Scott K Fish

Jim Gordon

Jim Gordon - Full Interview - Tape B Side A - The End SKF NOTE: This is the third and final segment of my interview with Jim Gordon. I posted the back story, the genesis, of this interview, on my blog.
  8. Scott K Fish

Jim Gordon

Jim Gordon – Full Interview – Tape A Side B SKF NOTE: If you’re coming to this Tape A Side B before my posting of Jim Gordon – Full Interview – Tape A Side A, the rest of the info in this post is the same as the info in my Tape A Side A post. There is a third and final segment of this...
  9. Scott K Fish

Jim Gordon

Aw shucks. // skf
  10. Scott K Fish

Jim Gordon

Thank you for the kind words. // Best, skf
  11. Scott K Fish

Jim Gordon

Jim Gordon – Full Interview – Tape A Side A SKF NOTE: I posted the back story, the genesis, of this interview, on my blog, right here, so I won't repeat the story. https://scottkfish.com/2015/09/25/scott-k-fish-interview-jim-gordon/ This interview with musician Jim Gordon took place January...
  12. Scott K Fish

18 inch bass drum, why bother?

During our 1982 interview, Tommy Aldridge said he uses 18" bass drums in the recording studio because they sound bigger than the 24" or 26" (???) bass drums Tommy uses live.
  13. Scott K Fish

Jim Gordon

I interviewed Jim Gordon in the early 1980s for Modern Drummer. I have audio excerpts from our interview on my blog, Life Beyond the Cymbals, for anyone interested. Here's one excerpt: https://scottkfish.com/2017/09/23/jim-gordon-what-made-you-want-to-be-a-pro-musician/ Best, Scott K Fish
  14. Scott K Fish

#SKFBlog -- Neil Peart On Making His Romanian Oak Drumset

#SKFBlog -- Neil Peart On Making His Romanian Oak Drumset SKF NOTE: This morning, revisiting email exchanges with Neil Peart, looking for one exchange in particular, I came across Neil's March 15, 2015 email and photo describing his "new Romanian Oak drumset," destined for Rush's 40th...
  15. Scott K Fish

How do you get Hi-Hats to make a 'clinking' sound?

Drummers sometimes play with drumsticks on the hi-hat upper tube which can also produce a bell tone. Best, skf
  16. Scott K Fish

Frank Briggs Interview – Do Your Best Always (Circa 1983)

Frank Briggs Interview – Do Your Best Always (Circa 1983) SKF NOTE: I recently uncovered this circa 1983 interview with drummer Frank Briggs. Edited slightly, I’ve retyped my original introduction below, followed by scans of my original transcript, complete with proofreaders marks. I don’t...
  17. Scott K Fish

SKF Inquiry: Drummer Billy Kentucky Wilson

Hi - I received an email from a woman seeking info on drummer Billy 'Kentucky' Wilson. Here's what she wrote: My husband and I were wondering if anyone out there remembers a drummer name Billy Kentucky Wilson? We knew him many years ago and lost track of him and his family. Kentucky played...
  18. Scott K Fish

Scott K Fish - Frankie Dunlop Complete Interview Available Online

Frankie Dunlop - Complete Interview Part 7 of 7 SKF NOTE - This is the last segment of my full interview, no edits, with Frankie Dunlop. The interview took place in 1984 in two sessions. The first session, on October 16, 1984, was at my former in-law’s New York City apartment. The December 13...
  19. Scott K Fish

I don't know if Frankie retired as much as he was simply not playing as much with musicians in the limelight. The last Frankie Dunlop recording I've heard was a 1984 Monk Tribute album called "That's The Way I Feel Now." Frankie played with Terry Adams and NRBQ guys on the song "In Walked Bud."...
  20. Scott K Fish

The New York Musician's Union Local 802 could, and did, keep musicians from playing NYC clubs. In Frankie's case it was because he hadn't been a NYC resident long enough for Local 802 dispensation.