Search results

1. Scott K Fish

Who is Gary Chester?

SKF NOTE: This piece was published first in the Piscataquis Observer weekly newspaper on October 29, 2018 as Who is Gary Chester?. Gary Chester, starting in the 1960s, was a top New York studio drummer. One of a special breed of musicians who music producers and artists counted on to make hit...
  2. Scott K Fish

#SKFBlog -- Neil Peart On Making His Romanian Oak Drumset

#SKFBlog -- Neil Peart On Making His Romanian Oak Drumset SKF NOTE: This morning, revisiting email exchanges with Neil Peart, looking for one exchange in particular, I came across Neil's March 15, 2015 email and photo describing his "new Romanian Oak drumset," destined for Rush's 40th...
  3. Scott K Fish

Frank Briggs Interview – Do Your Best Always (Circa 1983)

Frank Briggs Interview – Do Your Best Always (Circa 1983) SKF NOTE: I recently uncovered this circa 1983 interview with drummer Frank Briggs. Edited slightly, I’ve retyped my original introduction below, followed by scans of my original transcript, complete with proofreaders marks. I don’t...
  4. Scott K Fish

SKF Inquiry: Drummer Billy Kentucky Wilson

Hi - I received an email from a woman seeking info on drummer Billy 'Kentucky' Wilson. Here's what she wrote: My husband and I were wondering if anyone out there remembers a drummer name Billy Kentucky Wilson? We knew him many years ago and lost track of him and his family. Kentucky played...
  5. Scott K Fish

Scott K Fish - Frankie Dunlop Complete Interview Available Online

SKF NOTE - Over the next few weeks I am making available my full interview, no edits, with Frankie Dunlop. The interview took place in 1984 in two sessions. The first session, on October 16, 1984, was at my former in-law’s New York City apartment. The December 13, 1984 second session took place...
  6. Scott K Fish

SKFBlog Audio - Al Duncan - Great Ears and a Good Memory (Circa 1981)

#SKFBlog Audio - Al Duncan - Great Ears and a Good Memory (Circa 1981) I was interested in speaking with Al Duncan because I knew — from printed sources and from other musicians, like Willie Dixon — that Mr. Duncan had played on several early rock recording sessions for Chess Records and...
  7. Scott K Fish

#SKFBlog - Al Duncan: Big Ears and a Good Memory

#SKFBlog - Al Duncan: Big Ears and a Good Memory But, most of the stuff that I did around Chicago was all with the rock cats. I mean, being in the Regal Theater I did The Miracles, The Temptations, and all of them. Marvin Gaye. Everybody came through there. Back in those days they had the...
  8. Scott K Fish

Louis Bellson’s 1940s Gretsch Kit in ‘A Song is Born’ Movie

#SKFBlog - Louis Bellson’s 1940s Gretsch Kit in ‘A Song is Born’ Movie https://youtu.be/RVmkCfrhqns SKF NOTE: There’s quite a cast of jazz greats in this “A Song is Born” 1948 movie clip including a very young Louis Bellson on his original mid-1940s Gretsch double-bass drum set. Some...
  9. Scott K Fish

SKFBlog Audio - Roy Burns Drum Clinic - Circa 1974

SKFBlog Audio - Roy Burns Drum Clinic - Circa 1974 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_blZbk6UPQ SKF NOTE: In August 2014, a few months after starting my blog, I posted my recollection about a Roy Burns drum clinic I had attended around 1974. I was newly living in Davenport, Iowa — the Quad...
  10. Scott K Fish

SKF Blog Audio: Paul T. Riddle - The Influence of Joe Morello

SKF Blog Audio: Paul T. Riddle - The Influence of Joe Morello SKF NOTE: This excerpt is Paul T. Riddle talking with me about the Dave Brubeck Quartet's Greatest Hits album. Specifically, Paul talks about Joe Morello's playing and sound and the influence Morello with the Brubeck Quartet had on...
  11. Scott K Fish

Bernard Purdie: 'Purdie Shuffle' Solo Drums (Audio 1990)

SKF Blog: Bernard Purdie: 'Purdie Shuffle' Solo Drums (Audio 1990) SKF NOTE: Bernard Purdie’s 1990 solo drum performance is from a larger drum project in which Chip Stern asked me to take part. The general idea was having a percussion magazine and a companion audiocassette. The project never...
  12. Scott K Fish

Hal Blaine: Drum Fills Come From Within

SKF Blog: Hal Blaine: Drum Fills Come From Within SKF NOTE: Hal Blaine's thoughts on drum fills. From a Hal Blaine letter written about 35-years ago. Good advice that still holds true. Fills...come from within. Somehow the [brain] puts it all together. It takes the song you're working on...
  13. Scott K Fish

SKF Blog UPDATE: Revising My MD Published Posts

SKF Blog UPDATE: Revising My MD Published Posts Yesterday, Friday, June 16, I received an email request from Modern Drummer Publications VP Kevin Kearns, followed by a phone conversation. It was the first time we had communicated since the fall of 1983 when I was stepping down as MD managing...
  14. Scott K Fish

SKF Blog: A Conversation with Charlie Watts (1981)

Just an FYI - I posted the Aug/Sept 1982 MD conversation with Charlie Watts, Max Weinberg, and me. SKF Blog: A Conversation with Charlie Watts (1981)
  15. Scott K Fish

SKF Blog Audio: Will Calhoun: My Drum Gear (1989)

SKF Blog Audio: Will Calhoun: My Drum Gear (1989) Click Here to Listen to SKF's Will Calhoun Excerpt SKF NOTE: Among my favorite interviews, I am sorry to say none of my interview with Will Calhoun ever saw the light of day. By July 1989 I had been gone from my spot as Modern Drummer's...
  16. Scott K Fish

Scott K Fish: Creativity vs. Business

SKF NOTE: At age 28 I realized my life was out-of-balance. Devoting so much time to drumming, music, and writing -- I had neglected the practical matters of earning a living, of understanding how business works. I'm still learning! This piece is one of the rare columns I wrote for Modern...
  17. Scott K Fish

SKF Blog Audio: Artimus Pyle: Copying Other Drummers' Licks is the Hardest

SKF NOTE: In this excerpt from Artimus Pyle's June 23, 1982 interview for Modern Drummer, Artimus talks about how hard it was having to learn Bob Burns's Lynyrd Skynyrd drum parts note for note. But it was also helpful. Click Here to Listen to the Audio The photo of Artimus seated behind his...
  18. Scott K Fish

When Did Drummers Start Wearing Headphones in Recording Studios?

Before I launch into a quest that may be reinventing the wheel -- does anyone know when drummers, to better hear the other musicians, first started wearing headphones in recording studios? Or, to put it another way, during recording sessions? Is there a drummer credited with being first...
  19. Scott K Fish

SKF Blog Audio: Artimus Pyle - How He Got the Lynyrd Skynyrd Gig (1982)

Click Here to Listen to the Podcast SKF NOTE: In this second excerpt from Artimus Pyle's June 23, 1982 interview for Modern Drummer, Artimus and Paul T. Riddle tell how, around 1972-1973, Artimus - with help from Marshall Tucker Band members, Charlie Daniels, and others who believed in him -...
  20. Scott K Fish

Katrina Chester Seeking Gary Chester Memorabilia for Documentary

Katrina Chester Seeking Gary Chester Memorabilia for Documentary SKF NOTE: I am happy to pass along this SOS from Gary Chester’s daughter, Katrina, who is working on a Gary Chester documentary with Tony Cruz. Here’s the original post from the offical Gary Chester Facebook page. We’re asking...