Search results

1. Ruok

BEST album cover, what’s yours

This is still one of my favorite albums of all time.
  2. Ruok

BEST album cover, what’s yours

3. Ruok

The Unwavering Drummer

4. Ruok

The Unwavering Drummer

5. Ruok

What is your favorite drummer joke?

What did the drummer get on his IQ test? Drool.
  6. Ruok

Are Paiste Giant Beats and Paiste 404 the same?

It doesn’t feel like budget cymbal. It feels a little “thicker” than the Giant Beat. But I don’t know if it’s actually thicker or heavier. I checked the serial number and it’s a 404 from 1986. Not sure if they were thin or not back then. Still feel like I scored for $50 though. Oh yeah! $50 is...
  7. Ruok

Are Paiste Giant Beats and Paiste 404 the same?

I've shared this several times. Back in the 80s, I listened from several feet away to a 404 Ride and a 2002 ride played by the shop owner (I didn't actually play the cymbals myself in the shop). I walked out with the 2002, but I always wanted to go back and grab the 404 since I thought it...
  8. Ruok

Music that moves you to tears

Chopin's Etude in E major is a lovely piece and it was covered by Apollo 100 in the early 70s entitled "Tristesse" (which I think means "sadness"), and this version can get me teary eyed at times. I think that Apollo 100 actually improved the melody the way they did it.
  9. Ruok

Music that moves you to tears

PorkPieGuys' post gave me the courage...
  10. Ruok

Vater Session sticks

I'm with ya! I've been playing the Vater 5B Maples a lot lately too and loving it. I switch a lot between those and the Vater 5A Maples. Actually, I couldn't make up my mind which ones to use the other day, so I compromised. 5A in the right hand and the 5B in the left. 🤓
  11. Ruok

Open letter to all forum members

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. 😬
  12. Ruok

Songs That Speed Up or Slow Down

The number one smash by the Bee Gees "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" is all over the place. The drums come in and out during the song, so the tempo fluctuates with the drums and other times without the drums. It all seems very intentional in this case.
  13. Ruok

Fanny!

I just found out about this band yesterday. Who here knew of them? The video is from 1971. Check out the mismatched floor tom, and they do the Beatles "Hey Bulldog."
  14. Ruok

Cosmo Clearwater Revival

Did you guys know Clifford has a new album out? It's called "Magic Window."
  15. Ruok

The sound of the drum is within the heads

Help me understand this, because I'm a little skeptical. I'm not trying to be difficult, honestly. My question is to you drummers that claim that the shell itself makes a noticeable difference. Let's say that you are there in person with the drums and not listening through any speakers of any...
  16. Ruok

The sound of the drum is within the heads

Here's my take on this. I think it is true that the heads are the main sound coming from a drum and the way one plays it. Like the guy in the video said, listen to a roto tom. There is no shell, but it still sounds like a drum. He doesn't deny that there are sound differences in the shells, but...
  17. Ruok

The "Golden Ratio" for Top/Bottom Hi Hats

One cymbal company once gave their opinion about what pitch the two cymbals should have in relation to each other. The Paiste 1979 catalog has a section on selecting cymbals, and when selecting the hi-hat Paiste stated... "All Paiste hi-hats are matched as pairs during the hand hammering...
  18. Ruok

Boston the "band" . . . . not a band!

Tom Scholz visits his old house in 2018 where he recorded the album.
  19. Ruok

Any Kansas / Phil Ehart fans?

I know some of us Kansas fans were disappointed when Walsh left in the early 80s, but there were still some great tracks on those two Elafante led albums. Livgren mentioned that they were under a lot of pressure to write simpler songs at that time too. With that in mind, they still threw in some...