Search results

1. fixxxer

Sweet Ride vs. Sabian AA Med. Ride

I'm looking for a new ride and have seen a lot of mention (love for) the sweet ride on this forum. I went to a local music store to check one out today and was impressed! Then the sales guy starts showing me a Sabian AA Medium ride. (Now, mind you we were in a cymbal room bangin' on em', not set...
  2. fixxxer

Song Writing- Who gets Credit?

I am in a three piece band- singer/ lead guitar, bassist and drummer (me). We work as a "democracy" where there is no defined leader and everyone has equal say in how things go with the band. All of our original material is usually born from jam sessions where we come up with songs that we...
  3. fixxxer

Got a Piccolo Snare- Now What?

G.C. is having a big sale this weekend. What caught my eye was they had Mapex 13 x 3.5" steel piccolo snares for $39.00 (list @ $124.99)! Now, I have never considered using a piccolo, but at this price I couldn't resist, so I got one. Forgive my ignorance, but how can I apply this to my...
  4. fixxxer

Band Websites

Our band has finally created a nice set list and we are trying to acquire more gigs. We have a large blues fest that we are playing in September that we are very excited about. It is just a 30 minute side stage gig, but we are excited none-the-less. Our goal at this gig is to get our name out...
  5. fixxxer

Electronic Hi-Hat Question(s)

My church uses an older Roland V-Drum kit in our praise band. I believe it's a TD-10. The pastor has recently advised that we have a little money to upgrade some equipment for the band and asked me what upgrades the kit needed. Overall, the kit is in really good shape with the triggers all...
  6. fixxxer

Have You Tried Sticks With This Type of Tip?

The tip I am referring to is the kind found on the Buddy Rich sig sticks. The neck blends with the tip. (Sorry, I don't know the actual name of the tip type) Anyway, I was at my local GC yesterday and picked up a bulk bag of the el' cheapo no-name brand sticks (10 pair for $29.99). These work...
  7. fixxxer

Creating a Band Logo?

My band has come to the realization recently that we need to create (or have someone create) a band logo. We want to have this, of course, in electronic form so that we can use it for our website, flyers, to have bass drum head made, etc. I know there are companies that can create one for you...
  8. fixxxer

Stewart Copeland on "Storage Wars"

For those of you who have not seen the show "Storage Wars" on A&E, it's a reality show featuring folks at storage facility auctions buying the contents inside storage units that have been abandoned. On last night's episode one of the buyers, Barry Weiss, bought a unit with a set of Ludwigs and...
  9. fixxxer

Polishing Laquer Finish

I tried to search this but found nothing. I want to give my drums a good cleaning (it's been awhile). Does anyone know a good polish for laquer finish? I was thinking of something that's similiar to cymbal polish (apply, let haze and buff) that would leave a protective coat as well. Any...
  10. fixxxer

When The Band Has An "Off" Night

Let me start by saying that I am fortunate to be in a band that is committed to, at least, a once a week practice and we have an awesome practice space where we can play anytime and leave our equipment set up. We have only done a couple of gigs but would love to do more and we have a decent set...
  11. fixxxer

Going from Hydraulics to Pinstripes

I've been using Evans Hydraulics on my toms for over a year now. Overall, I've been happy with them as they give me that fat sound that I like. However, I am considering changing to Remo Pinstipes. The reason for the change is that I have heard people say that the Hydraulics are a bit more...
  12. fixxxer

Which came first- the chicken or the egg?

Maybe it's just me and my situation, but I always seem to be a "slave" to what the other band members want to play. Meaning, when it comes to original songs, I add my part after what my band mates have put together.On the other hand, when I try to play a beat (to inspire a song), they just kind...
  13. fixxxer

No Longer In Denial- I NEED A TEACHER!

I've been playing for a total of about 8 years- self taught. I've played with many people and currently in the praise band at church and then another classic rock style band. I've recently realized that I have hit a wall and my playing seems to be getting worse than it used to be. I feel limited...
  14. fixxxer

Taking Responsibility For Your Music

I'm in a band that plays mostly originals with some covers sprinkled in. Last night we had a practice and were working on some covers. Out of no where our guitarist busts out Eric Clapton's "Cocaine". We jumped on it and it sounded absolutely amazing- we really nailed it. That song fits so well...
  15. fixxxer

Drummers! Support Your Local H.S. Drumlines!

I just attended my local high school's (L.D. Bell) "Night of Drumming" concert. This was hosted by the school's drumline and showcased percussionists from area Jr. high's as well. The $5.00 ticket (fundraiser for the band) was well worth the entertainment and inspiration that I got from the...
  16. fixxxer

Another Micing Question

All drum mics that I have seen attach to the batter side of the drum, except for the bass drum. Has anyone ever recorded a bass drum from the batter side? If so, what were the results? We did some recordings last summer (with the bass drum mic in the front) and I wasn't happy with the sound...
  17. fixxxer

Santa Claus Is Coming To Town! What Do You Want?

O.K., boys and girls, some of you have been naughty and some of you have been nice (you know which catagory you fall under). Santa is coming soon! What do you want to see under the tree this Christmas? Here's mine: The most awesome ride cymbal I've ever heard (Not sure which one, exactly, but...
  18. fixxxer

Learning Someone Else's Originals

O.K., long story short......I am in a band that has just reunited after about a 2 year "misunderstanding". I am not the original drummer for the band (he will not be returning), but have been working on other projects with the bassist for the past 2 years. This band plays all originals, most of...
  19. fixxxer

Cymbal residue mystery

O.K.- I went to my bassist's studio last Saturday to set up my drums and play for awhile. While I was there I decided to polish my cymbals. I layed my ride down on the carpet to buff out the polish and noticed that I had left a black ring (cymbal residue) on the carpet around where the cymbal...
  20. fixxxer

Brand New Mapex M Birch Arrived Damaged!

O.K.- I ordered them last Saturday (my first brand new kit) from Zzounds. I anxiously waited all week and they finally arrived today. It was like Christmas in August as I unboxed the drums! I started with the toms, which are a beautiful emerald green finish, carefully inspecting each one as I...