Search results

1. toddbishop

Research Survey - Snare Drum Project

come on
  2. toddbishop

I never studied with him, but a bunch of my instructors and other students I was around did-- as did my professor, Charles Dowd, who also studied with Saul Goodman, and who was a master concert snare drummer in his own right. It doesn't get any more authoritative than that-- though there are...
  3. toddbishop

Uhhh that's how orchestral snare drummers play ordinary ruffs (what PAS and you guys are calling a drag) out here in Cirone/Dowd-land, with a multiple bounce stroke. We even did them that way in corps.
  4. toddbishop

I don’t know how standardized it is— a lot of it is still debated, with different communities having competing semi-standard interpretations. With drags and ruffs especially. It always has been— reading GL Stone’s articles from the 40s-50s, it’s all about the same stuff, interpretation of...
  5. toddbishop

Done-- good job, a well constructed survey. You'll probably be able to tell which was my entry.
  6. toddbishop

Gonna get a ton of hate for saying this...

We're getting far away from my original point here-- and I'm not any kind of musical conservative-- but it's an interesting conversation. Just re: this quote: Glasper doesn't get to speak for anybody but Glasper, and certainly not for Charlie Parker. And it's obviously a false premise, because...
  7. toddbishop

Bass drum notation for drum sheet music

Absolutely, start transcribing your own charts. It trains your ears, and you learn a lot about notation, and about what people play. Here's a thing I wrote with some suggestions for doing that. One key part of this is that professional players usually do not think in terms of exact notes--...
  8. toddbishop

It's weird to me-- usually if you're going to write the bass drum like it's a separate part, you put rests. I don't like that style of notation, but it is standard practice, like with piano music. In writing out exact parts for drumset, I almost always prefer having everything on one set of stems.
  9. toddbishop

That's just how a single 8th note is notated-- it has a flag on it instead of a beam-- because there's nothing to beam it to.
  10. toddbishop

That's fine, I've played a couple of gigs too. And sorry for the confusion-- I meant learning to play as a technology-- like what happened in drum corps, and in metal, and in the gospel chops world-- some people figured out a method for getting large numbers of young performers to sound pretty...
  11. toddbishop

Playing the upstroke after tap..

An upstroke is just a quiet note ending with the stick in a raised position-- as you see in the Vic Firth video. Lift the stick with your hand. You don't bounce any part of the motion. Copy the motion in the video.
  12. toddbishop

I guess I don't understand, you say why differentiate between ability and art, then you say I'm not talking about ability, I'm talking about creativity and art. Also don't know what you mean by now and then. There are plenty of Tony's contemporaries alive and playing the drums and still able...
  13. toddbishop

The art of drumming is not more developed than it has ever been, the technology is more developed. So the top talents have more ability than in the past, and mediocre players are able to sound more impressive. But ability was never the point. Tony had a lot of ability, but he could have had as...
  14. toddbishop

What constitutes being a "fanboy"?

Fanboy is usually something attributed to other people, when they don't agree with your trolling on some topic. A technique for roping people into a conversation they didn't want to have. Like: TROLL: remo fanboys are going to hate me for this, but remo heads are THE WORST NORMAL PERSON: what...
  15. toddbishop

One thing Tony Williams never did was play so much stuff that it all became meaningless. It's not like there weren't people who did that in his era. People still listen to Tony because of what he accomplished musically.
  16. toddbishop

Grams per inch

Here's a very helpful and brief guide to cymbal weights, and other properties affecting their sound. See The Cymbal Book by Hugu Pinksterboer for everything else you could possibly want to know about cymbals.
  17. toddbishop

Grams per inch

I never thought about it in those terms, more like gram ranges for size and type. Figuring out grams per inch seems an unnecessary step-- and it doesn't translate across sizes: 90g/inch @ 18" = medium ride, @20" = jazz ride, @22" = extra light jazz ride or crash 55g/inch @ 16" = thin crash, @...
  18. toddbishop

funky primer by charles dowd question

I studied with the author, and I know he couldn't do 16th notes single handed @ 120 with 16" strokes. Not remotely. Take the instructions as guidelines, and do what you can with them, but use your judgment. Your 95-100 bpm 16ths on one hand is basically normal-- that seems to be the speed...
  19. toddbishop

What’s the first song you learned to play?

First beat, Jocko Homo (in 7!) by Devo, first song, Paranoid by Black Sabbath
  20. toddbishop

How are CS black dots on toms for a big rock sound?

I like them a lot. Aggressive, live, drummy, 70s sound. Not a pretty sound-- the first time you hit it it's kind of awful, but as you play you start to get it. I've got one on my bass drum-- 18" jazz drum.