Search results

1. TTNW

Your personal least favorite set you actually owned.

Low hanging fruit first: 1990's Pearl Export I bought in 2002 for $200 They were a wreck and sounded like everything that's ever been wrong with every kit on the Bojangles Tom Angle thread. Yikes. Granted they were abused and beyond redemption. New heads did nothing for them. I bought the...
  2. TTNW

Everything Hi Hats

Hi Guys. It's been a while since I've posted. Missed you all. Larry, great thread topic. I have a love/hate thing going with my hi-hat experience. Sometimes they are like comfort food for most of the music we play and other times, they are the most satanic impossible frustrating (can't get...
  3. TTNW

Inexpensive Bass Drum Art Option

Well, nothing really ingenious here, but I thought I would share. For those of you that have access to imaging software and you want to do a line art style bass drum designs, this one cost $11 not including the cost of the head. Before I plunk down more money to get a full color properly...
  4. TTNW

New Zildjian Cymbal Pack

Hey Fellow DW Gearheads, Just got my new Zidjian Cymbal Pack off some dude on Craigslist yesterday. They are really new and interesting cymbals from Zildjian. The seller said it's the new "Trendsetter Starter Set" First picture is of the New 8" Whisper Ride. It is everything the seller...
  5. TTNW

24 K Light Ride - Rivets?

Here's a question for you all out there that either play this cymbal or have an opinion. I haven't been using my 24 K Light ride that much in the last couple of years. It is a wonderful cymbal and sounds great but it doesn't cut it for most of the music we've been playing lately. I've either...
  6. TTNW

Played with a Throne Butt Kicker for the First Time

I played with a new group last night for the first time and the drummer I sat in for had a Butt Kicker mounted on his throne. It was fantastic. I could feel every thump from every stroke in the seat and my wife said that she thought my playing seemed much tighter than in other situations I get...
  7. TTNW

Brisbane: Clean Up Status and Concerns

This thread goes out to my Australian DW friends. My daughter is in her third year at college and is scheduled to leave for Brisbane in a few weeks. As her second semester, study abroad term approaches, naturally we have been tracking the conditions in Brisbane since the flooding. My heart...
  8. TTNW

Joey Lee Plays at a Show! COMMENTS?

PQleyR has some good suggestions. If you like to practice to recorded music, it will help you smooth out your groove to play along some music that has solid 2 & 4 with a thick back beat. Think Steve Jordan, Matt Flynn, Gadd, etc.. Practice to a metronome and some hip hop. I get bored to tears...
  9. TTNW

Visiting Memphis Drum Shop

After many years of visiting their website, perusing their YouTube vids, and reading about the place, I finally got a chance to stop by there while I was on a two day business trip to Memphis. Nice store and friendly people. Maybe a half dozen kits set up but dozens of kits stacked everywhere...
  10. TTNW

Show us your Largest Venue!

Lyric Theater, Stuart, Florida Seats 500 great sounding theater
  11. TTNW

Paiste 2002, B8 but why do they sound so good?

Paiste 2002s sound great. I think it's not the alloy copper to tin ratio so much as the hammering and lathing that defines their sound. Usually Paistes are brighter than B20 bronze but that's certainly not always the case. A 2002 ride and 18" and 19" 2002 crashes with some sound edge hats...
  12. TTNW

Considering a New Kit - WWDWD?

So I have some money saved to buy some new gear and I was wondering what you guys would do? Here's my choices so far: I've got $2,200 to spend. I have an 8 piece maple kit 22/8/10/12/14/16/18 + various snares I have a 4 piece mahogany kit 18/12/14 + snare I've been considering getting a Tama...
  13. TTNW

Traditional Grip - Both Hands?

A question for traditional grip players. I am not wanting to start a discussion as to the virtues of traditional grip vs. matched grip. I play matched grip and so I am relying on you traditional grip players to give me, as best you can, an unbiased answer. Whether you play both grips or...
  14. TTNW

TTNW Custom 20” A Ping

As previously threatened, I have taken the plunge and hand hammered my first cymbal. Some of you may recall that I have had a love/hate relationship with my A Ping ride for years. I liked it when I bought it years ago but in the last few years, I have found it to be very one dimensional and...
  15. TTNW

DW Super Solid Snares

I just finished watching the DW video on how they make their new super solid snares. http://www.dwdrums.com/supersolid/ Check it out! So.. ..question is, since the DW is a steamed and compressed maple plank and then bent and ends joined with a "scarf" joint, wouldn't a superior design be to...
  16. TTNW

New Version of Zildjian KC Hi Definition Ride

I searched the forum for a thread on this cymbal and I couldn't find one. Has anyone bought or played this new cymbal? I have the original version and the newer versions product info states that it is now a thinner cymbal. I grown used to the wash and spread of my ride and I'm very curious...
  17. TTNW

Zoom HD16CD Multi-Track Recording Studio

I searched for threads on this recorder and I only found a few odd mentions but no reviews. Does anyone have and use this recorder? http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZOMHD16CD In addition to this unit, I will also be looking for an mid-level 8 channel pre amp since I am aware that the pre amps in...
  18. TTNW

DW 5000/7000 footplate swap

I know this is a longshot, but... ...I have a DW 5000 two-leg hi-hat stand and a DW7000 single pedal that I use on my practice kit at home. The hi-hat stand is NOT like the other 5000 stands that have the red anondized metal parts, it is actually more like 7000 series hardware. Does anyone...
  19. TTNW

Gonna cut down my 14x12 to a 14 x ?...

I am considering modifying my PDP maple 14 x 12 floor tom. I don’t use it as a lower tom anymore but occasionally have set it up as a rack (1 up 2 down) for the Bonzo set up. The problem with that is that it is so low in tone that with the 16 and 18, it’s almost too much bottom. Also, I set...
  20. TTNW

Gretsch Cat Jazz & Zildjian Ks - mmmmmm

I started playing this kit again and I really like it as a change up to my maple drums. Gretsch Catalina Jazz Kit - 18x14BD, 12x9T, 14x14FT - Evans G1s with an Emad on the kick. Snare is an old Titan 14 x 5½ hammered bronze with single point lugs and die cast hoops. DW7000 pedal with DW5000...