Search results

1. yammyfan

The Gretsch Brooklyn Chrome over Steel snare is wonderful. Easy to recommend!

I'm not much of a reviewer so my vocabulary is limited in that regard, but here are a few thoughts on the current model Brooklyn COS snare drum. For starters, it's HEAVY. I have the 5.5 x 14 inch model and it must weigh close to 15 lbs. That's a good thing. The 2.0 mm steel shell is responsible...
  2. yammyfan

Anybody use a riser with a 20" bass drum?

As the title states, has anyone tried a riser with their 20" bass drum? I'm looking at the Gibraltar SC-BDPM specifically. I'm extremely pleased with my 20" bass drum but if I can get even more oomph from it for the negligible cost of a riser, I'll give it a try.
  3. yammyfan

Gretsch Renown RN2 Silver Oyster Pearl

I started a thread a couple of weeks ago asking for advice about Gretsch kits. This is the kit I wound up buying. This is the Renown RN2-E605 configuration in Silver Oyster Pearl. The 605 pack includes the matching snare but I'm using my trusty Acrolite until the Renown snare is dialed in the...
  4. yammyfan

Gretsch stands. Any good?

What's the scoop when it comes to Gretsch stands? I've got tons of Yamaha stands which I love but I'd rather use Gretsch stands with my Gretsch kit. I'm weird like that ;) I'm looking for reasonably light stuff, light like Yamaha 700 series stands. Your thoughts and experience? Thanks for...
  5. yammyfan

Going Gretsch. Will I be happy with a set of Renowns?

Like the title says, I'd like to give Gretsch a try, having owned Pearl, Tama and Yamaha kits. I'm after that nice big, warm maple sound and I think the current Renowns will give me that. I'm looking at the RN2-R644 (24 inch kick, 13 and 16 inch toms plus snare) in Satin Antique Blue. Will I...
  6. yammyfan

A minor improvement

Not a deal-breaker by any stretch but I'm a bit underwhelmed by the unfinished wood surface of the current generation Stage Custom's bass drum hoops. The kit has it everywhere else it counts but evidently this is one way that Yamaha keeps the price in check. Happily, the solution is simple...
  7. yammyfan

Tidied up my drum room. It was worth it.

Decided to use all of this extra time we've been given to tidy up my drum room. It had become cluttered and messy. I reassembled my kit while I was at it. Levelled the kick drum and optimized tom angles etc. They kit plays better now, for sure. Figured I'd share a few pics to record what it...
  8. yammyfan

Stage Custom Birch owners: do your shells have one badge or two?

My five piece shell pack features just one badge per shell. I figured it's a cost saving measure since all of my other Yamaha kits (2nd generation Stage Customs included) have two badges per shell. The add-on 14" floor tom I bought has just one badge, too. I just had a look at the 8" tom I...
  9. yammyfan

Dating a Paiste 2002 Ride Cymbal

This should be easier than it is but I'm having some trouble figuring it out. Does the serial number here indicate a cymbal made in the 80's? My hunch is that it does. Thanks for any help you can provide!
  10. yammyfan

Leveling the snare drum resonant head. Do you bother?

Any consensus on this practice or do you treat the resonant side just like the batter? It's pretty clear to me that the snare beds really affect the topography of the underside of the snare drum. How much extra effort should I put into leveling the snare side head? I installed sleeved washers...
  11. yammyfan

R.I.P Neil Peart

I'm in utter shock as I write this. The Professor is gone at age 67. Brain cancer. I'm speechless...
  12. yammyfan

Tune-Bot Owners - a Tip for You

The TL;DR of this is that I tuned each lug to produce an actual note instead of just a frequency and then I fine tuned the overall drum to produce an actual note as well, using Perfect 4ths as the intervals between batter and resonant heads, and Perfect 4ths between each of the individual toms...
  13. yammyfan

New kit on the way

I bit the bullet and took my own (and other's) advice and ordered a brand-new Stage Custom Birch kit this week. I went with the Cranberry Red finish as I think it looks terrific. Yamaha has done a great job with these new SCB kits and I really like the absolute lugs and die-cast kick drum claws...
  14. yammyfan

What's the deal with lead guitarists not covering solos properly?

Anybody else experience this, much? I've played in several cover bands in the past couple of years and with one notable exception, the lead guitarists don't play solos properly. Like, not even close. A lot of the solos are iconic, or at least highly recognizable. An example: AC/DC's "You Shook...
  15. yammyfan

Thought I might be getting a smoking deal here...

I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw this ad this morning. Looks like a high-end Tama kit, Yamaha snare and Zildjian cymbals for $500 Canadian ($375 USD). Wish I had taken a screenshot of the photo taken from the side because you can see the individual elements much better in that view. I...
  16. yammyfan

Zildjian K Sweet Cymbal Appreciation Thread

Hands up if you have played or own any of the "new" Zildjian K Sweet cymbals. What do you think of them? Personally, I freaking love them. I started with the 17" crash last year and added the 19" K Sweet crash to my set a few days ago. The 19" is by far the best cymbal I have ever owned. It...
  17. yammyfan

Cleaning Paiste Cymbals - Alternate Methods?

It looks like the official Paiste cleaner is disappearing from the market. Everywhere that I've checked says "discontinued product". Yikes!! I've got a grimy 18" crash to clean. I like my cymbals to sparkle. Is there another product that gently cleans tarnish and fingerprints from Paiste...
  18. yammyfan

That notorious Ludwig Acrolite throw off let me down last night

Nearing the end of our first set I notice a weird rattling sound coming from the snare drum, echoed in my monitor. It had been there for a few songs but we were playing on a covered stage and the sound was pretty lively up there anyway. Honestly, I thought that it was some weird effect that the...
  19. yammyfan

Wanting to give Paiste cymbals a try. Where should I start?

As the title states, I'm thinking about trying Paiste cymbals on for size. I play Pop, Rock and Country covers in a number of local bands. Typical wedding/party band stuff. I'm playing Zildjian K Dark Thin crashes at the moment along with a 20" K Ride and 14" K Hi Hats. Nothing wrong with any...
  20. yammyfan

Bought a Ludwig Acrolite Today

I gave in and picked up a classic today. Not classic in years, mind you, but in terms of design and reputation :) I have several steel snares, a maple, and a birch snare. I've wanted an aluminum snare for a long time. I like the brightness of steel snares but I always seem to dampen them to cut...