Alesis SamplePad 4

I-P

Silver Member
Hey all
Thinking of introducing some triggers, samples, and loops to my acoustic kit.
This Alesis SamplePad 4 seems inexpensive and the small form factor is major plus.
Anyone with experience on this, or have opinions on others that are in the same ballpark is this (in terms of price and form factor), I'd be very interested to read.
Thank you in advance.

SamplePad4_Overview_1.png

Trying to keep costs down.
Samples 4-6
Seems that Roland is the standard. It is too big though. 🤔

So, what's budget as a number? Tell us that, then we can put some options your way.

I have this one and like it a lot but I think it's obsolete now. I have had problems with the vol. nob cutting out and it might be considered slow to load, I don't know what the standard is. It will sample up to 25 sec. so I have the bagpipes intro for Copperhead Road on there. It's pretty cool.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240320_093231_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240320_093231_Google.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: I-P
I have this one and like it a lot but I think it's obsolete now. I have had problems with the vol. nob cutting out and it might be considered slow to load, I don't know what the standard is. It will sample up to 25 sec. so I have the bagpipes intro for Copperhead Road on there. It's pretty cool.
Yeah I have a couple of those. Cheap (very - paid about £30 each for mine in the UK). Monophonic and a tad slow on loading and limited for longer stuff (max 5 samples at any point to a total max of 14MB).
Has MIDI out so also great for a small 5-trigger MIDI controller (4 pads + 1 external).

I have the Percpad and SamplePad predecessors, and they're super easy/intuitive to use. I don't think I ever read the 'manuals'. on those units However, the ram was pretty limited, so sample length was also limited. It's hard to tell what the actual ram is on the SamplePad4, but it can probably handle short loops and of course the usual tambourine, cowbell, and other short hits.

At $149, the price is certainly right for simple stuff!

Ultimately, I think the Roland SPD-SX... pad will serve you well. The ram and memory are quite capable of whatever you might want to do, and the unit also samples via a mic (assuming you need to record a live sound.) You will pay a lot more for the Roland, but as they say, you invariably acquire that for which you expend.

Hey all
Thinking of introducing some triggers, samples, and loops to my acoustic kit.
This Alesis SamplePad 4 seems inexpensive and the small form factor is major plus.
Anyone with experience on this, or have opinions on others that are in the same ballpark is this (in terms of price and form factor), I'd be very interested to read.
Thank you in advance.

View attachment 144476

I've played around with one of these and it works fine. The user interface is a bit outdated and if you try to layer anything on one pad that can be a pain but if you are looking for a basic "hit pad 1 and trigger sample 3" device, this is fine. It is rather basic and utilitarian. Also, if you plan on taking this thing on the road or gigging it heavily you may want to also buy a back up. Like most Alesis stuff... It has a great price tag and works great until it doesn't. And when it doesn't will usually be at the worst possible time.

It has a pad input that you can plug a pedal trigger into and set it up as a mini standalone ekit which is cool.

Reactions: I-P
Back