Sweetwater DWe kit pricing

Not just you :) Totally different instrument - why make it look like something else from the last millennium. It's like your keyboard player lugging this to gigs ;)

View attachment 140588

And pads give so many playing options and ergonomic flexibility - why limit your playing technique to that of the last millennium as well... ;)
Tell that to Hiromi.

Btw, most of these things are sold to pianists who do a Blazing Pianos act where they beat on the pianos, and they use electronic keyboards inside.

Correct, speed of light in the vacuum of space. In “air” the speed slows down by .0003% (roughly 90km/s less than the roughly 300,000,000km/s). So scale that down to 100’ or so and tell me that makes any difference 🤣🤣🤣

But just to be totally correct, electromagnetic waves all travel at the same speed regardless of frequency or wavelength. Electromagnetic wave do travel at different speeds through different mediums.

Wireless does NOT move at the speed of light. It moves at a speed that is determined by the size of the wavelength and its frequency. That speed is calculated in a vacuum, then is further dependent on environmental issues, obstructions, etc.
Exactly, there is latency that can be attributed to wifi. As the distance to the router increases so does latency, the bandwidth is affected in a smaller level than the latency but it is still affected. Most can perceive latency when it exceeds 10 ms. (When you are playing with a backing track you can hear the latency even sooner). If the waves really traveled that fast, and lets say for the sake of this argument, that they did, then it wouldn't matter how far satellites were located because at those speeds latency wouldn't be perceived, but it is! Hence Elon placing satellites much closer to eliminate a lot of that latency. I know this is an extreme example when comparing it with walking outside away from the router,, but it still applies.

Last edited:
Exactly, there is latency that can be attributed to wifi. As the distance to the router increases so does latency, the bandwidth is affected in a smaller level than the latency but it is still affected. Most can perceive latency when it exceeds 10 ms. (When you are playing with a backing track you can hear the latency even sooner). If the waves really traveled that fast, and lets say for the sake of this argument, that they did, then it wouldn't matter how far satellites were located because at those speeds latency wouldn't be perceived, but it is! Hence Elon placing satellites much closer to eliminate a lot of that latency. I know this is an extreme example when comparing it with walking outside away from the router,, but it still applies.
No. Just no, that is not how it works.
When talking about delays in the scale of WiFi latency, this has absolutely _nothing_ to do with the speed of the electromagnetic waves

Exactly, there is latency that can be attributed to wifi. As the distance to the router increases so does latency, the bandwidth is affected in a smaller level than the latency but it is still affected. Most can perceive latency when it exceeds 10 ms. (When you are playing with a backing track you can hear the latency even sooner).

No. Just no, that is not how it works.
When talking about delays in the scale of WiFi latency, this has absolutely _nothing_ to do with the speed of the electromagnetic waves
It has more to do with the gear processing the signal, but electromagnetic waves do vary in speed depending on the medium they travel in.

We seem to have a difficulty understanding here. The speed of light (which is an electromagnetic wave) and ALL electromagnetic waves (including RF) is the same, regardless of frequency. When light and RF travel through the same medium they ARE the same speed. When electromagnetic waves travel through air they are 99.9997% the speed compared to when they travel through a vacuum.

The distance to a router over the range of a router adds nothing meaningful to the latency when comparing the speed of electromagnetic waves that can circle the globe 23 times in one second when you add an extra 200’ to that travel time.

It has more to do with the gear processing the signal, but electromagnetic waves do vary in speed depending on the medium they travel in.
Yes, as also detailed by @dboomer, but that speed difference makes absolutely no meaningful difference on the scale we are talking about here. The WiFi latency you need to care about is in en/decoding, buffering and processing.
But then again, the DWe drums do not use WiFi.

Last edited:
Yes, as also detailed by @dboomer, but that speed difference makes absolutely no meaningful difference on the scale we are talking about here. The WiFi latency you need to care about is in en/decoding, buffering and processing.
But then again, the DWe drums do not use WiFi.
Which is exactly what I said, of course minus the DWe drums not using wifi.
But, latency is inevitable with wireless of ANY kind, and yes, at those distances it may not matter but when added to hardware latency it will.
For example, say it takes 4ms from you hitting the pad to the trigger to respond, send a signal to the laptop, and the laptop to produce sound that you hear. (I will probably take longer than that but let's just use 4ms for the sake of the example). that would be still a very usable minimal latency that most humans would not be able to perceive on it's own, but when combined with say, a backing track, you might hear (at least I can hear) a very slight but noticeable delay between the backing track and my drums, and it is NOT my tempo, I am with a metronome, not dragging, or I am using the backing track (which was originally recorded with a metronome) as my metronome so my tempo is not the issue. The problem is , the audio from your source comes out instantly as it is already a digital signal AND it is not being processed, just played. your playing has to be processed as described above before you hear it, sound travels a lot slower than signals so it barely makes a difference on either scenario but believe me it doesn't take much ( a few ms) for you to be able to hear latency.

Last edited:
But, latency is inevitable with wireless of ANY kind, and yes, at those distances it may not matter but when added to hardware latency it will.
Again, keep in mind the proportions. The wireless is essentially instantaneous. In the case of wireless from a router, given a max distance of let’s say 200’ the wireless part extends that distance 1.25”. For something moving at 186,000 miles per second and extra 1.25” can’t make any real difference.

It is the D/A and A/D conversions that take the majority of the time. Of the total time the wireless part of the total is about 1/7000th of the total latency with this DWe system.

Again, keep in mind the proportions. The wireless is essentially instantaneous. In the case of wireless from a router, given a max distance of let’s say 200’ the wireless part extends that distance 1.25”. For something moving at 186,000 miles per second and extra 1.25” can’t make any real difference.

It is the D/A and A/D conversions that take the majority of the time. Of the total time the wireless part of the total is about 1/7000th of the total latency with this DWe system.
Again that was exactly what I have already stated. I am not disagreeing just stating it differently perhaps..

Back