RIP my crash

jaykaydrums

Silver Member
Rip my 19" crash.

i seem to be unlucky with 19" crashes as this is the 2nd one thats cracked on me, think the cold got to it as it was freezing cold in my practice room.

sucks when it happens 😭😭😭😭😭
20231107_195626.jpg

Hmmmm. If you don't mind my asking, are your cymbals angled toward you or flat? Do you tighten down the wingnuts or let the cymbal fly? Not trying to call you out, it's that I did something similar and that cracked cymbals for sure. Just a small tweak and every cymbal lasts decades now.

Dan

What kind of cymbal, and are you a heavy hitter?
19" regular crash, thrace series from amedia cymbals :) and i can be heavy handed at times, but mostly im medium strength hitting them with glancing blows rather than straight on/up & down :)

Hmmmm. If you don't mind my asking, are your cymbals angled toward you or flat? Do you tighten down the wingnuts or let the cymbal fly? Not trying to call you out, it's that I did something similar and that cracked cymbals for sure. Just a small tweak and every cymbal lasts decades now.

Dan
angled towards me, i hate playing with flat cymbals, and theyre on, but not very tight so the cymbals are allowed to breathe, same with the hi hats. i think it was literially more to do with hitting it before the room had warmed up as its happened before to an old crash i once had, that split when i was playing it in a quite cold area in the same fashion :)

You could drill the end of the crack.....and let it live awhile longer..it might sizzle...

That near the edge, you could use a Dremel tool and cut a half-moon scoop out and remove the crack. I've done that, and the cymbal lasted quite a long time thereafter.

I'm dubious about the cold being the culprit, because I've played in sub -freezing temps without problems (other than it being hard to play when you're f-ing freezing!). I can't say for sure, though. Might affect different cymbals differently.

Back