Sweetwater DWe kit pricing

Totally agree!

Wait for the PDP version ;)

I wouldn't be too surprised if that is on the roadmap for DW. This is a classic product launch strategy with new tech. Launch it as a high end product with a high end price, it establishes exclusivity.......they most likely are NOT planning on selling a ton of volume on these. They may provide/incentivize some of their endorsors in the target demographic with a new kit for exposure and to let the creative people prove out what their platform can really do........then move to a phase where they launch a "mid market" more affordable option with the same core tech but with some reduced costs cutting measures like PDP type shells or hardware, maybe a reduced basic electronics package etc. Whatever it takes to hit a price target......and then aim to make margin on those products.

But what do I know........

DW has the advantage with their proprietary copyrighted technology that produces THE most life like drum sounds of any ekit.DWekit.png

I think it's a great leap for technology, in general. I'm not sure buying a whole kit would be worth it but for those of us with DW kits, it would be great if DW was able to color match to our existing kits so we could have supplemental electronic drums. Of course lately getting any sort custom work from DW has been a waiting game, but it would be a great option.

I-P says:
1st Gen product too. Looks like it will be awesome however.
Exactly this. Let the product mature for a few cycles and price will come down while reliability increases.

DW has the advantage with their proprietary copyrighted technology that produces THE most life like drum sounds of any ekit.View attachment 140541
I haven't opened my Roland digital snare to look at the internals, but I'm sure there are just multiple piezos broken down into zones (by the module) so when they sense pressure on certain group the module reacts accordingly hence the ability to "feel" when your hand is resting on the head so the rim click is accurate. I guess this is what that snare looks like inside:

I think it's a great leap for technology, in general. I'm not sure buying a whole kit would be worth it but for those of us with DW kits, it would be great if DW was able to color match to our existing kits so we could have supplemental electronic drums. Of course lately getting any sort custom work from DW has been a waiting game, but it would be a great option.

I-P says:

Exactly this. Let the product mature for a few cycles and price will come down while reliability increases.
They are going to sell the cymbals (the electronic cymbals) and probably the module separate, _Edit- I just remembered they have no module so any modern laptop can be used...they also are going to just sell the drums (no hardware no cymbals), . So maybe you could just buy the internal electronics and "convert" your current kit.

Last edited:
This is my exact reaction as well.........

On one hand, I do appreciate a company who is willing to try and innovate in a space that has seen largely small incremental changes over the decades as companies try and figure out an angle to get us to fork over a few grand for a kit that most likely will sound like "drums" when all is said and done........

At least it is something somewhat new and different that gets people talking vs. "hey we can't think of anything innovative so we are now making shells like we did 40 years ago with new hardware.....enjoy !!!" While there is nothing wrong with that approach, this is a new spin on things, albeit a very expensive niche one, but that is where new innovation usually starts, expensive and niche.
For the most part, electronic kits are used because of noise concerns. If you play arenas that of course is not an issue, the only reason anyone playing arenas would need to use an electronic kit would be to have access to multiple samples... in that case a few pads would do and they certainly don't need to be wireless. who is going to be able to tell from the audience perspective? even if you are first row. Any self respecting drum tech would make custom cables so that they can be routed through and remain as invisible as possible. (That's what I would do). (If I was a drum tech).

Yep, I think wireless is just going to add to the headaches on a large tour.
And yes, a mix of quiet stages and the demand for album accurate drum sounds are the main driver in electronic drums and drum samplers in the pro scene.

Not everyone has space limitations or issues lugging a full size kit. Everyone hates the look of small electronic pads (yes me included) so, if you can have both, why not?. Yes it's not practical but neither is driving a full size truck as a daily driver, or buying 3 acoustic kits because the one you have is not "new enough"..
I agree with the pricing, Roland has always been ridiculously expensive, I guess now DW must follow suit...
Versa trigger was not overpriced as an individual offering, now they have to also follow suit.
I noticed they are using a custom version of EZ drummer... For that price they should give you the full Superior Drummer (with all available packs).
Like I said before, drums are drums are drums, there is no significant jump in SOUND quality when you switch from a middle of the line kit to a top of the line. (at least not worth paying what they want for top of the line). In this case, nobody is buying those drums for their acoustic qualities so it wouldn't matter if they were the lower line, as long as the electronic portion works well.. I guess they have to convince you to pay that kind of $$ by stating that those kits are "collector series"... who cares? 99% of buyers will never use them as acoustic....
Why can you get the cheapest kit your company makes, use a nice looking wrap and add the electronics? reduce about $5000 of the price, they would sell like hot cakes.

I may be the exception but I do not hate the look of small electronic pads. As long as they are large enough to be functional, I'd rather play electronic pads than try to hide the fact that I'm playing an e-kit by burying everything in a traditional drum shell that serves no other purpose than aesthetics.

Yep, I think wireless is just going to add to the headaches on a large tour.
And yes, a mix of quiet stages and the demand for album accurate drum sounds are the main driver in electronic drums and drum samplers in the pro scene.
I'm sure you can custom order it to NOT be wireless. (if you are a touring drummer for a national act).

I may be the exception but I do not hate the look of small electronic pads. As long as they are large enough to be functional, I'd rather play electronic pads than try to hide the fact that I'm playing an e-kit by burying everything in a traditional drum shell that serves no other purpose than aesthetics.
For me is easier to play the same part when the drums are the correct sizes vs the same part with 5 pads that are all the same size. it sounds the same, but I guess I do notice that the pad size doesn't change from one side to the other and that bothers me. as for cymbals, the only one that I would like to have a natural looking one is for a China, I know where my electronic China is located, but it would be much nicer to have one that actually looks like a China. Other than that , you are correct they serve no other purpose than aesthetics.
I can play for years on tiny pads and not use acoustic drums and then I can transition seamlessly to regular sized drums, that has never been an issue for me or the extra bounce that some claim you get from mesh pads... it is actually easier when I switch back to acoustics as the rebound is better because it is less on acoustics and not as spongy. (that is my experience other's will differ). I will explain where I'm coming from by discussing the rebound part. (again my experience). I tune my acoustic drums quite tight (and I use my mesh heads quite tight). The mesh heads allow the stick to sink a little bit deeper than the mylar heads which results in a slight delay on the stick rebound when compared to mylar. Others might use their mesh heads way too loose or way too tight and will definitely have issues with that difference. Rubber pads are a little stiffer than mylar heads but to me, the difference is negligible.
Not sure how Yamaha silicone pads compare, I remember them feeling like a board (very stiff) but I will be honest, I need to do further testing to give a fair opinion.

I worked with Marcus on wireless when I was with Line6. There’s lots of experience with digital wireless there. I’m sure it’s dialed in and won’t have any more failures than broken cables or jacks (let alone multipin connectors). Remember this system is sending a tiny, tiny amount of data wirelessly.
I'm sure you can custom order it to NOT be wireless. (if you are a touring drummer for a national act).

Probably for only a few hundred thousand dollars extra. They would need to completely design a new interface. 😆

I worked with Marcus on wireless when I was with Line6. There’s lots of experience with digital wireless there. I’m sure it’s dialed in and won’t have any more failures than broken cables or jacks (let alone multipin connectors). Remember this system is sending a tiny, tiny amount of data wirelessly.

Probably for only a few hundred thousand dollars extra. They would need to completely design a new interface. 😆
Not really Roland had that wired interface for years, I can see them building a module similar to the Alesis i/o to just send midi data and play their current samples. That is not farfetched at all.

I’m assuming you are not familiar with “non recurring engineering charges”. So maybe $50k in NRE to port that over. But the new DWe is not a midi device. So what good is a midi generating triggering system 😉

There is no need to port anything. Roland has their wire connected modules, DW has their wireless e-kit. Buy the one that suits your needs best.

Not just you :) Totally different instrument - why make it look like something else from the last millennium. It's like your keyboard player lugging this to gigs ;)

fake keyboard.png

And pads give so many playing options and ergonomic flexibility - why limit your playing technique to that of the last millennium as well... ;)

Justin @ 65 Drums points out the hiccups with this first edition product. That alone soured me on even considering these.
The hiccups risks of a major catastrophic result.
I am curious as to the type of customer DW is targeting or expecting.
I love my A2E kit I built from Mapex shells. I think I spent about 2K total with a used Roland TD-30.
And now that I move the kit a lot (where it was somewhat basement only), I am thinking of reducing the size.

Justin @ 65 Drums points out the hiccups with this first edition product.
If you mostly mean the hihat ”dropout”, it could have easily have been a loose battery. His opinions are subjective and not objective, so he is gussing. I have to seriously question his understanding on technical levels as he claimed the when he moved the computer outside he experienced latency. Wireless moves at the speed of light. So latency is constant with distance until you are hundreds of miles away and his perception is all in his head. 😉

That said, yes there will be improvements in the firmware as time goes on.

Wireless moves at the speed of light. So latency is constant with distance until you are hundreds of miles away and his perception is all in his head. 😉
Wireless does NOT move at the speed of light. It moves at a speed that is determined by the size of the wavelength and its frequency. That speed is calculated in a vacuum, then is further dependent on environmental issues, obstructions, etc.

Back