Yamaha Finger Drum Pads

I think the thing is the tone generator (some 1500 sounds), battery power and speaker over MIDI controllers.

UK pricing is Yamaha FGDP-50 and FGDP-30 is £335 and £200 respectively.

[update] on sale at £279 and £169

Last edited:
I think the thing is the tone generator (some 1500 sounds), battery power and speaker over MIDI controllers.

UK pricing is Yamaha FGDP-50 and FGDP-30 is £335 and £200 respectively.
That's a highly attractive price compared to the alternatives! The HPD and Zendrums are IIRC closer to $2000.
Looking forward to buying one, for jamming and songwriting with my girlfriend, and for on-campus rehearsal without a drum kit. If it can be connect to trigger pads, I may even be able to incorporate it into my acoustic kit!

Some manuals / data list are here for more details. No trigger inputs.

That's a highly attractive price compared to the alternatives! The HPD and Zendrums are IIRC closer to $2000.
Looking forward to buying one, for jamming and songwriting with my girlfriend, and for on-campus rehearsal without a drum kit. If it can be connect to trigger pads, I may even be able to incorporate it into my acoustic kit!
Its a novelty toy unfortunately, not much more than the Yamaha DD-75

Roland Handsonic, Zendrum and Korg Wavedrum are "musical instruments" with dynamics.

Mick

... "musical instruments" with dynamics.

....still has velocity sensitivity, aftertouch and choking

So more like an Akai MPD but with loads of sounds, battery and a speaker. And a slightly more ergonomic layout. And has audio recording built in so useful for writing, jamming etc.

...oh and you can load up to 100 one-shot samples as well. Which is nice.

Last edited:
Its a novelty toy unfortunately, not much more than the Yamaha DD-75

Roland Handsonic, Zendrum and Korg Wavedrum are "musical instruments" with dynamics.

Mick
TBH I was a bit sceptical when I first saw it, too. Like how much of an improvement they are over say a smartphone app.
And then I found that it has velocity sensitivity, a few nice Yamaha samples, and a more ergonomic layout than say a Launchpad. So I can see its use in the scenarios I've described.

It's also my understanding that the venerable Roland TB-303 was seen as a novelty toy, or practice tool at best, back in its day. It was after Roland had discontinued it that some rappers found its use in professional music making, and it caught on and beceme highly collectible.
Operation-wise it's still like a toy, but it doesn't stop musicians from making professional music with it (they still need to learn to work around its shortcomings, though).

Reactions: I-P
Some fingering here ;)

No way a hpd is 2k.

Its also a totally different device.

This reminds me of their old QY series beat makers:
1693950395389.png

Like the Akai MPC.

....still has velocity sensitivity, aftertouch and choking....

The pads have both polyphonic or channel aftertouch. Could be fun.

I had an HPD-10 that was pretty good with both fingers and sticks.
I find the DTX Multi 12 good for hand playing - bongos/congas etc., as well as sticks.
I'm more used to playing drum parts on a keyboard though.

About those DD pads - I've had a couple and they were fun. Midi out too, so you could use them as controllers for software.
The only thing I didn't like about them was that programs couldn't be saved, so settings had to be done from scratch each time.
Don't know if the new ones are still like that though.

Last edited:
A finger gadget!?
Sigh...what's become of the once great Yamaha drum company ?

YAMAHA_Drums_2006_0000.jpg

Last edited:
This reminds me of their old QY series beat makers:

I have QY70 and QY100. They're full MIDI sequencers with XG sounds. Cool beasts for portable ideas and great tone modules as well.

I have QY70 and QY100. They're full MIDI sequencers with XG sounds. Cool beasts for portable ideas and great tone modules as well.

And speaking of sequencers and stuff I have one of these.... (it's good that Yamaha makes off-the-wall stuff everyso often)

1694864511311.png

Back