Dead Drum Fads

I wouldn't call it a fad but does anyone remember a product called Dead Ringer? It was used for muffling. Basically it was foam rubber with adhesive on one side and you'd stick it on the inside of the drum head. So it would go the entire circumference of the head about an inch or so in from the rim. I mean I actually liked it. Haven't seen it for years but have recently found a strip of weather stripping in my garage that is the same thing and works great.

yep...we used to use those on the bass drums for marching band

the internal muffling ring that is now built in to many heads killed the need for Dead Ringers, at least for me

Straight maple. That original Keller DW sound.
Looks like a blast to play. Funny enough, drummers seem to like Keller-DW drums. I'm familiar enough with Camco but I believe the LA era was all Keller as well and I'm not sure if much different...I think DW used the the LA formula for a bit. The only Camco I heard sounded fantastic so the Santa Monica line is intriguing.

Looks like a blast to play. Funny enough, drummers seem to like Keller-DW drums. I'm familiar enough with Camco but I believe the LA era was all Keller as well and I'm not sure if much different...I think DW used the the LA formula for a bit. The only Camco I heard sounded fantastic so the Santa Monica line is intriguing.
The fun thing is.

Santa Monica has a different layout than the LA Camco and early Keller shells.

Tbh I don’t care for the Keller hype itself (most of the kit is Keller, I think two shells are DW’s own early shells)

Especially as Keller made so much different shells custom at the request of the customer, its impossible to pinpoint the magic formula.

But DW’s from the 80’s to mid 90’s with those shells just seem to work.

Back