How to Build a Snare Collection

That’s where I started, with the shallow/deep wood/metal snare philosophy. Then, once I started chasing sounds, my discernment got sharper, and I started focusing on more nuanced sounds, and drums that have more “character” for whatever reason.

I’m not sure that I buy into the wood vs. metal dichotomy. There’s much more of a difference between a Black Beauty and a Supraphonic than there is between either of them and a wood snare of comparable size.

When I branched off my 10-year old Starclassic brass, I went to a G-maple (10mm thick maple shell). I wanted something very different but would cut through amplified instruments on a stage. It was a big change and caused me to explore other options, including changing hoops and snappies. After that I went for an aluminum shell, then a 15" diameter brass shell. Every time I was looking for a new sound in my quiver.

Pretty much how I have accumulated mine, all give me different choices due to the material of the shell & size variations.

Only one of these hasn’t been in the studio to record with me - as it only arrived yesterday.

All the others appear on various recordings I’ve been involved in.

14x5 Supra - Aluminium
14x5.5 Royal Ace - Birch
14x 5.5 Radio King - Maple
14x 6.5 Black Beauty - Brass
14x 6.5 Pearl Mahogany Classic - errr Mahogany
14x 6.5 Pearl Masters - Maple
14x6.5 Pearl Steel Snare - errr Steel

Last edited:
I swear if I ever find my 7x13 Brady lemon scented gum snaredrum that single drum replaces them all. Peace and goodwill. Hey..who says that on his replys befor he exits. I wanted to try it..just once. I like it.

I swear if I ever find my 7x13 Brady lemon scented gum snaredrum that single drum replaces them all. Peace and goodwill. Hey..who says that on his replys befor he exits. I wanted to try it..just once. I like it.
@Drumolator says it!

Based on the article, the way to build a snare collection is to first rob a bank or sell your house and live in a rental trailer. Oh and don't get married so you don't have to ask anyone before you buy an expensive snare drum. He never did mention these basic requirements.

I own three snares: BB 14x8, BB 14x6.5, and a Pork Pie cherry/mahogany 14x6.5. The only other snare on my radar is a 1940's Slingerland Recording King cloud badge, single ply 14x7. But heck, between the three I already own, these should last me the rest of my life. I don't want to play any sort of music that requires anything else.

vintage old time "Krupa 40s" or swampy- WFL 6.5 6L
vintage & modern snappy- 8L Gretsch wood & 5 4103 Pioneer Ludwig 5 6L
vintage Motown k'rack- brass 8L Gretsch 4160

(control impulsiveness) don't let collection become affliction
Ha! be "ok" "living" with the I-only-need-one-more syndrome

for safety's sake

Last edited:
Based on the article, the way to build a snare collection is to first rob a bank or sell your house and live in a rental trailer.
I read the article, and when I saw "Craviotto", I started laughing. For the price of a new, basic Craviotto 6.5x14 I can buy a Gretsch USA snare and be halfway towards buying a second.

In my "collection" I have the following snares that cover everything I like to play:
1980s Gretsch USA 6.5x14 (wood, medium-to-high tuning)
2022 Gretsch USA 6.5x14 (wood, 42 strand, lower tuning than the other 6.5x14)
1998 Gretsch USA 5x14 (wood)
1958 Gretsch Broadkaster 5x14 (wood, 3 ply)

I also have these snares hanging around. I rarely play them, though:
1966 Slingerland Artist 5.5x14
1990s Slingerland Tour King 5.5x14 (all maple)
2019 Ludwig Classic Maple 6.5x14
1990s Ludwig Acrolite 5.5x14 (black galaxy)
1968 Ludwig Pioneer 5x14

I never set out to have a collection and maybe 8 drums doesn’t count; I tend to gravitate towards a certain tones within a sound profile and feel under stick.

Ayotte Keplinger stainless steel 13 x 6
Ayotte Keplinger stainless steel14 x 6.5
Dunnett titanium with ti hoops 14 x 6
Dunnett 2N bronze 14 x 6.5
Dunnett Trussart steel 14 x 6.5
Red Rocks Jarrah stave 14 x 7
Brady Jarrah ply 14 x 5.5
Gretsch (Brooklyn) Mike Johnston) 14 x 5.5E7247183-163E-43E5-BC73-2DF4F1C01BDB.jpeg

Attachments

• C9FABA38-2555-4AB8-9FC3-24752B105141.jpeg
    C9FABA38-2555-4AB8-9FC3-24752B105141.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1
  • CF9D77D8-1E93-4F91-A964-757B562ED653.jpeg
    CF9D77D8-1E93-4F91-A964-757B562ED653.jpeg
    835.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 3373148C-41FA-4FE5-8832-86C9BE4AC84D.jpeg
    3373148C-41FA-4FE5-8832-86C9BE4AC84D.jpeg
    400.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
My "collection" is two snares. My best one is a Mapex Armory 14x5 Sabre (maple and walnut shell), and my other one is a Mapex MPX Birch 13x6. Peace and goodwill.

100_0583.JPG

That’s where I started, with the shallow/deep wood/metal snare philosophy. Then, once I started chasing sounds, my discernment got sharper, and I started focusing on more nuanced sounds, and drums that have more “character” for whatever reason.

I’m not sure that I buy into the wood vs. metal dichotomy. There’s much more of a difference between a Black Beauty and a Supraphonic than there is between either of them and a wood snare of comparable size.
Drumeo blindfold videos showed me that wood vs metal is not always as clear as it seems (when you can see the drums, anyway). I used to want more snares until I realized I had bought a Pearl MCX snare and had the same goals for it that I had for my $70, 14x9 Lyra. I still want more snares, but I no longer want 30 of them.

First of all, I think the question is personal to each drummer's ear, and certainly to each drummer's gigging calendar.

That said, I think three snares is the optimum number for covering the most amount of sound-territory with the least amount of overlap.

1. Brassy and bright.
2. Solid shell, dark knock.
3. And the wooden, ply, snappy snare that matches the kit's specs.

I fell in love with Brady snares and spend my time finding the more interesting or 'rare' Bradys which use different timber types and construction types. 13 Brady snares and a kit and I'm still on the lookout for others
Where do you live..when do you go to sleep..and do you have dogs. Just curious 😃

I didn't set out to have a collection either if you can call 6 a collection. The first proper snare I got was a 402 and with hindsight I've only ever needed one because it does everything in style. But hey, we get itches that need to be scratched.

Plus you fall on bargains that are too good to pass up.

All my snare get used so that's the justification of having them I suppose.

Reactions: I-P
Back